sdeep

Please advice in choosing my first car

Hi Everybody,

Kindly help me as I am confused in choosing my first car keeping the following factors.

-I am new to driving[learning now] in Mumbai

-My monthly run would be 1000 kms

-My Budget would be 3.75-4.5 lacs. max.

-Totally max. 3 people would be travelling.

Kindly suggest me.I was thinking of  I 10[iRDE or Kappa 1.2 confused]/wagon R DUO/Spark/Zen  or should I wait for A star from Maruti.

Awaiting your reply  smiley32.gif

Welcome SDEEP,

I'd suggest you wait for the A-star.. that is if it fits in your budget.

Or then the Wagon-R Duo would be a nice car to own.

All the best.

Cheers.

I would suggest among the given choices go for 1.2 kappa i10 or wagon r petrol and since its ur first car and looking by ur running per month go for a petrol car only.

Or if u want u can wait for the new Indica which will be coming in another 2 months with 1.3 multijet engine but it will be diesel.

All the best

Cheers

i10 kappa would be the best choice. However, since the A-Star launch seems to be round the corner wait for a couple more months and have a look at the A-Star before making your decision. If you don't want to wait, then you cannot go wrong with the i10.

PS: Just wondering, these days such queries are being posted in the 'Car & Bike Talk' section. Shouldn't they be in the AAA section?? FRG??
octane_1002008-07-31 09:36:49

I will suggest you go for i10 kappa.....at this time its the best car.......or in this budget u can get a segmet bigger the Swift...but only the base model.......or if u can wait for some more time there is A-Star and Splash are going to be launched from maruti's stable.....they will also be like other maruti cars...Best and VFM..........smiley17.gif 

Info i got from Hyundai showrrom here in Bngalore is that i10Magna Kappa is only available in Automatic and not manual.

i10 Sport is just above 5laks on road in Bangalore. Probably less in Mumbai, but maybe slightly above your max budget

Hope you are comfortable driving now. Otherwise a 2nd hand car for a year is better, till you get very comfortable.

What?? i10 kappa is only available in A/T......thats not fair....

Vibhor, No, i10 kappa Magna varient is available only in A/T according to Hyundai showroom. I had been to enquire about it. Manual is not there in their price list also

The i10 Kappa Sport and Asta variant are there in both Manual and A/T

botomline, if you want kappa manual, you have to go for sport which is 5.1 laks on road in bangalore

It is quite likely that Hyundai is 'milking' the market in the beginning by not offering the Kappa in the lower variants. Wait for a couple of months and things will improve.

go for wagonr vxi. it will cost less than 4 lacs on road(after discounts). it is a proven car with low maintenance and high resale. dont go for lpg as your running is not on higher side

but if you like i10, then go for 1.1ltr era as the kappa engine is new and has not proved its reliability yet. also it will strech your budget.

i10 kappa is available in three variants.Magna is available in MANUAL.astra is the top end which is A/T and sportz i am not sure if has manual or A/T i think it has manual but magna for sure has manua dats around 5 lakhs and magna 1.1 has been discontinued

smiley1.gif..If you are getting a second hand car at good price n with good condition too and then it can be a good deal and if u want to clear your hands on used car first and  then after 1-2 year u will buy new one then you can also cosider a second hand......but i will still suggest you to  stick to new one only.....smiley17.gif vibhor2008-07-31 11:40:22

avoid a second hand car.doesn't matter buy a new one .according to your budget i10 1.1 is the only choice that too era because magna has been discontinued but i am not sure if all three magna variants have been discontinued form the 1.1 range or just the magna O.You could consider the chevy spark since its size makes it easy to drive and also its light and nimble control.+ 4.5 lakhs spark you could go for the top end model with all the features...........so i strongly recommend that.

A- star should be worth waiting for, as its coming with a new engine, so this also rules out the wagon- r & zen from your list.

As 3 people are going to be travelling, spark with the present price & package seems to be a good choice.

Avoid 2nd. hand, as for a 2nd hand budget of Swift or i10, you will be able to buy new Spark or A-star.

speed2008-07-31 11:57:02

i10 kappa is available in three variants.Magna is available in MANUAL.astra is the top end which is A/T and sportz i am not sure if has manual or A/T i think it has manual but magna for sure has manua dats around 5 lakhs and magna 1.1 has been discontinued

Siddhant

You are mistaken. All 3 kappa varients are available as AT. Website of i10 indicates kappa available in manual in Mgna variant. If you go to the showroom and ask, they will say kappa magna is only available in AT and not in manual. Atleast this is the info i got from Advaith Hyundai Bangalore.

As Sgiitk sir said, quite sure they are milking the market and pushing the higher varient of kappa,

I was little disapointed with the 'sport' varient. nothing much sporty about it apart from a rear spoiler. No alloys also.

Back to topic. U should enquire in mumbai if there is magna i10 kappa manual. If so it will suit your budget.

GM is offering some fabulous schemes & warranty packages on Spark. The 3 year warranty & maintainence package takes care of all worries related to costs  & availability.

magna is available in manual{kappa} as well as sportz which rightly said is not sporty.........anway the price of magna kappa manual might fit your budget........but i think spark could be a better car for you and i think GM has a good dealer network in mumbai...........consider the spark great VFM and suits you since you are a first time driver......

As for spark I am not too sure about the GM service and spares as to whether they are easily available or not..
Chevy spark is a very nice car and there is no problem in servuce of GM.....and nothing to be worry about spares ..i think they are all easily available and as speed said Gm is offering some very good schemes too.........smiley1.gif

I have always been aginst buying used cars unless you cant afford a new one. the basic reason being high maintenance costs, and less reliability. i learnt driving on my dad's brand new wagon r 5 years ago and i had no problems at all. you just need to have confidence in yourself while driving, follow the rules and drive sedately for first few months. the best way is to go to a driving school as they have their own cars to teach you how to drive. then put your hands on your car with some experienced driver sitting beside you. i did so 5 years back.

go for the new car friend.

Yes , if one can afford a new car, why take a chance with a 2nd. hand? There are cars which are relatively easier to drive , like Santro because of its compact dimentions, tight turning radius & high seating position. Also, Spark is a very nimble car due to its small dimentions. The A-Star due from Maruti , I think will be easy to drive for learners, again for its dimentions. Even Wagon -R for that matter easily falls to hand as pointed out by Hsb in previous post.

So. bottom line is more or less all the small cars are easy to learn & drive, therefore going in for new car makes sense.