sdeep

New to driving-Buy old car or New car

Hello Everybody...

Since I am learning driving[Mumbai] and new to cars,Should I go for an OLD CAR(Maruti 800 for s.50,000] for some months-6 months]or can I go for a brand new car and drive very carefully.

Please advice

If you are learning from a driving school, learn till you become confident & then use your new car. Otherwise 50k is a waste on 2nd hand & you would not end up spending so much on damages, even if you use your new car .

I said old car is better in other thread. But i take back my words. better buy new car. once ur comfortable driving take ur new car out. Start early morning 5.30-6 for a few days . traffic will be low at that time so u can afford some mistakes . take some u turns, do some parking etc.. once u are more comfortable take it out at around 7-7.30 when traffic is higher and do a few rounds... that way u will get the confidence to drive.

Go for the new one n drive carefully bcoz new cars hav really very soft pedals press them gently especially  accelerator so u will hav to be very careful while pressing it......smiley17.gif

ill advise buy a new car like alto or spark as they will be also under warranty and  since ur new u wont come to know if someone gave u lemon for a second hand car. 

I disagree with 'Wickedass Che'. We have come a long way when lemons ruled the roost, HM and PAL. Things are a lot better now. Best buy is an Alto. Really reliable and very easy to drive and maintain. Go ahead buy an Alto.

speak to Maruti True Value and get a company approved used car. cheaper than a new one, and with a warranty too. would suggest you do NOT get an 800 (terrible safety) but try to get the wagon R (has the larger alto 1.1 engine, great fun) or - if u can - the wagon R duo (LPG) which should save you some money at the pump

How about an Alto VX 1.1, or an old model Zen, if you can find either. The Zen engine was a real beauty.

We had both Alto VX as well as the old (carb) Zen at the same time. The latter was about six years older but we just loved the smooth engine.

sgiitk2008-08-04 04:52:45

In my opinion, it's better for newbie to go for a used car especially when one's in a city like Mumbai. A dent and a scratch on a new car will break one's heart. So get used to driving in rush hour traffic and once you are confident that you can handle them all go for a new one. Until then a used Alto VX1.1 or an old zen should be a good choice for you. But once you buy it, keep it atleast for a year else it will be waste of money.

Enjoy your buy and drive responsibly smiley20.gif

But once you buy it' date=' keep it atleast for a year else it will be waste of money.

[/quote']

Agreed. In a PM I gave him the same advice. he wanted to keep the second hand car for only six months or so.

Any car in city traffic, driven by inexperienced or experienced driver is bound to get scratches & bumps. A newbie to driving would not know much about what all to check in a 2nd. car, so chances of getting a lemon are high. Also true value cars as mentioned by some members are priced higher than the market. Apart from this Zen & Alto command a good resale value, so going in for them makes less sense.

Spending money on 2nd hand car & then selling it after sometime would be a losing preposition. You would not end up spending as much money on repairs of new car as much you would lose in selling a 2nd. hand car. And the most important thing , you would buy piece of mind with a new car.

Learn driving in a driving school,get a permanent licence, then go for a new car. Among the new lot of hatch backs the i10 is the best in its category. If you want a larger hatch the Swift (petrol/diesel is your choice) is the best undoubtedly. Do not go for second hand simply because you don't know driving.Learning to drive with the new car may spoil its clutch and gears. Hence stick to a driving school and after you're through, drive your new car with all the confidence! 

ya.....i agree with anjan...first learn in a driving school.....n maruti has opened some excellent diving training schools in india ...which will make expert in a month!!......they r really very nice u can try it!.....n as u live in navi mumbai(written in your profile)..i think there is one n.... if not then definately in proper mumbai....smiley17.gif