DEVEN MODY

sedan diesel

hello frds

i plan to buy a diesel sedan model and i m confused between chevy & skoda .

as if now i have a chevy 1.6 petrol but there are lot of probs in resale . i took a test drive of 2.0 chev optra magnum and really enjoyed it but i m still confused whether to go with octavia or chevy magnum . my budget is between 10 --12 lacs

Deven, there is a thread in 2nd page "Topic: help reqd in buying a new car" This is also same requirement as yours diesal in 10-12 lak budget. that thread runs for 5 pages. You should be able to get lot of info there

Take a test drive of the Octavia too and then decide. Please keep in mind that the Octavia's rear seat space is pathetic. You should not be bothered about resale if you are going to keep the car for around 5 years. I think the Octavia will have a better resale value than the Optra though.

Personally, I would choose the Octavia.

i have the same thing in mind deven...but depends on ur mileage..i am also luking for a car between the same range..out of the two optra magnum is much better..but looking at the civic i guess nothing can beat the civic as of now..bw you can consider the civic or else if you want to go for a diesel optra magnum is the choice..i am also buying bw these two ...let us see

Chevy Optra Magnum is the one to go for.......but as my friends are saying that it octavia has better resale value......n personally i like octavia's spoty looks very much.......but magnum is better performer and is comfortable too if compared with octavia..........so optra magnum diesel is the car u should go for.............smiley17.gif

There was a comparo in ACI mag. sometime back between Optra magnum & Skoda octy. , Optra won the showdown. So, its a clear cut winner. Octy. would challenge Optra if Skoda trims Octys price tag by around 1-1.5 L. 

speed2008-07-31 18:27:54

The Octy is an outdated design. If I were looking at it I will look at the Laura (New Octavia to the rest of the world). When comparing prices do take the discounts into account. Across the board they may range from zilch to well over a lac depending on the brand and model.

But one thing to keep in mind is SKODA OCTAVIA is a very expensive vehicle to mainatain. The spares are very costly. You can confirm the same with MANISHK a member of this forum, he owns a SKODA OCTAVIA.

Given the 3yr warranty scheme on all the CHEVY's, it would be a very prudent decision to go for the CHEVROLET OPTRA. Also the OPTRA has its own positives.
anveshp2008-08-01 06:56:03

diesel optra have good figures if compared to its petrol counterpart...its simply best. . Sgiitk is right ocatavia is becoming quite outdated design...skoda should give it a facelift...n it will be the 1st facelift here after its launch back in 2000!!.....smiley1.gif 

diesel optra have good figures if compared to its petrol counterpart...its simply best. . Sgiitk is right ocatavia is becoming quite outdated design...skoda should give it a facelift...n it will be the 1st facelift here after its launch back in 2000!!.....smiley1.gif 

Dear Vibhor, they have already given it the facelift and also a new name in India!!smiley4.gif

Dear Vibhor' date=' they have already given it the facelift and also a new name in India!!smiley4.gif
[/quote'] smiley1.gifWhat??........... am really not aware of this!thanks octane........oh this means am really actually not updated with automobile news .smiley9.gif..can you tell me more on this?...is this in latest ACi issue? bcoz i havent bought it til now!smiley1.gif

@ vibhor ' date=' wow you remember the month too. I guess Optra got 9 stars & octy 8, if Im not mistaken! [/quote'] ya........i remember it bcoz on that issue mgnum and octavia were on cover page......n its cover was just similar to the aug 2006 !!smiley1.gif 

I havent come across the facelifted Octavia yet! & what new name? Its being sold with the same name only. If at all there has been a facelift, it must have been nearly negligible, as nothing is evident.

There was a news sometime back that Skoda intends to facelift & reduce the price of Octavia to make it more competitive. But since then theres been no action.

All the hoopla for nothing! Laura is a completely new car & not just a facelift or a new name. We were talking about Octavia per say , as Skoda intends to sell it for quite some time.

Laura is a new gen. Octavia & its replacement in developed markets, but in India carmakers insist on selling old models alongwith new ones.

speed2008-08-01 12:52:46

All the hoopla for nothing! Laura is a completely new car & not just a facelift or a new name. We were talking about Octavia per say ' date=' as Skoda intends to sell it for quite some time. [/quote']

Okay may be you didn't get the humour in the earlier posts!

Anyway i think you know Laura is the new Octavia and the Indian Octavia is not sold anywhere else. In such a situation I don't think Skoda will invest more in giving Octavia a facelift.

Theres a 1 min. diff. in our post timings.(my edit & your post)

Skoda will have to do something new to the Octy. to keep it alive in the competition, its sales have already come down. Nothing generates more consumer interest than a change! & Skoda had itself stated that it intends to give a facelift to Octy. to keep it in reckoning.

Theres a 1 min. diff. in our post timings.(my edit & your post)

Skoda will have to do something new to the Octy. to keep it alive in the competition' date=' its sales have already come down. Nothing generates more consumer interest than a change! & Skoda had itself stated that it intends to give a facelift to Octy. to keep it in reckoning.
[/quote']

Even i noticed the time difference :).

Coming to Octavia, my money is on Skoda coming up with a Laura Rider and lower versions than providing Octavia a facelift. IMO they have already started this process by launching Laura Ambiente. This makes sense if you look at the fact that they will be launching a cheaper Passat with CRDi engine at 20L mark. They have skimmed the market enough with their Laura!