abaweja

7-8L Car: SX4 Zxi or Optra 1.6LS

I am interested in either SX4 or Optra. City is out because of its omni presence and also don't want to pay extra for brand value of Honda. I liked fiesta in terms of driving pleasure but don't like its "anonymous" looks (me too sedan) and high cost of spare parts.

I like SX4 for VFM, Maruti, feature rich, satisfactory driving pleasure.Though its interiors are really bad.

I can upgrade to Optra 1.6 LS and liked its ride quality and especially its interiors. I have found people praising Optra Diesel a lot but not much OPtra Magnum petrol.

Car will be used for family outings generally within delhi at times for long drives. I have a wagonR which i will continue using for daily commuting.

I will appreciate any inputs which will help in my decision making.

If you want petrol car then personally i will suggest you to go for Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI (top end) it will come with alot of useful features.....n as always i say a good service from maruti..........optra magnum is also a very nice car n its a segmet bigger too..optra diesel is actually much better than petrol counterpart  .........or if you can wait there is new City and Linea also coming n i think they will fit in your budget n also will be a VFM package.........smiley17.gif

There are a few points you need to address before a meaningful advice can be given:

1. Your expected annual mileage on the car?

2. How long do you intend to keep the car?

3. Number of passengers - typical and normal maximum?

Only when these are addressed can a considered advice be given. Otherwise it will be a simple case of shooting off ones mouth, or riding the favourite hobby horse.

Thanks for a quick response.

1. Annual mileage expected is less than 10K, may even be near 5K.

2. I intend to keep the car for atleast 3 years and hopefully much longer. Resale value is not a concern for me, but won't like to have a car which depreciates say at 10% more than rest of segment. couple of percentage here and there is not a concern.

3. Number of passengers would typically be 4 adults as would be using it as a second car for family outings. I have a chauffeur but intend to drive this car myself. May be 5 rarely, when chauffeur is driving.

The low mileage rules out any consideration of a diesel.

If you are going to keep it long bear in mind that Maruti's have an unenviable reputation of being not too well put together and developing rattles. But at say, 7000 km per annum this should not really matter.

You may like to note than 50,000km and/or 5-6 years is the ideal point to get rid of a car. I have owned a whole series of Maruti products over the past decade. These include - M800, Zen (auto & Manual), Esteem, VX and my son has a Swift at present They have all been trouble free till about 45-50,000 km. Where cars like the City score is better build quality and lower depreciation.

You can go forward with the SX4, or can look at the Optra. Both are sound cars and it boils down to personal preference. What I have against the Optra is the higher cost and poorer availability of spares. Given the scheme of GM where they will cover maintenance for three years this becomes secondary. Also, it may be marginally less economical.

However, I would still give the City a serious consideration.

sgiitk2008-08-04 12:27:09

Hi, go for the Maruti SX4. As u had mentioned its loaded with goodies and is real value for money. 

Optra is quite good, but it cannot match the hassle free ownership that the Maruti offers.

ill vote for the SX4 zxi. it has all the goodies which wont be in optra or corolla for that matter. also a newer model of optra might in around 2009 and corolla cud get a newer model anytime now which wud depreciate their value much more than what u want.

I don't know about the SX-4, but I have test driven the Optra it's a good car and has the plush ride and feel of a big car and has easy control's and also has decent kit. Only thing that went against it was the dealer was giving me a raw deal and wanted me to take a huge loan with an EMI of almost 14k for 5 years and said if I don't do that I don't get discounts. So that's why the pendulum swung towards the Elantra that had it all and came at Rs.1 lac less.

Don't you think the city is a tad too underpowered(unless it's a vtec) to be used as primarily a highway car?

I had the same view. Then I looked at the ACI test, and was surprised to find that in terms of performance the normal City gives virtually nothing away to the SX4. When I pointed this out on the forum FRG suggested that they probably have more sensible gearing.

Maruti have apparently been forced to go for taller gearing in order to get the economy within acceptable limits. The City engine is obviously far more economical and possibly has higher torque lower down the range. This is why I have been suggesting from the outset that it is high time that mags like ACI got manufacturers to provide this information, and published it in tests reports. This is common practice abroad.

Some new inputs, resale becomes little more important. I am buying car on company lease and did some calculations, it is beneficial to sell of once lease expires/change job and get another one. Lease expire would be 3 years.

How bad is resale of Optra compared to SX4. Will I even be able to get takers for it.

Did talked to a friend who has been driving Optra 1.8LT, he is fully satisified with it and GM, in general. Now planning to upgrade to Captiva as doesn't wan to buy non GM car.

I liked plush interiors of Optra and ride quality. But in lower model I won't get ABS and Air Bags. SX4 interiors looks like an upgraded WagonR to me. Also test drive car of SX4 wasn't in good shape, which may have effected my perception.

well resale will be a problem ....Sx4 will fetch u good amount being maruti but then if u dont like its interiors and u think that Optra is better i think u should go for that...whats the use of Resale value if u r not satisfied fully with the car and after buying if u think that u got a wrong buy,that should not happen...so if u think that overall both car are at par and equally good then move to resale value and all...

Bluesapphires views are right, SX4 for resale point of view & Optra for better interiors.

This might confuse you further, but the present Corolla is selling at huge discounts & you can get the base model for less than 8L. Corolla has been the favourite  choice of  executives.

No i dont think corrola would be ideal choice....it has nothing in base version...........when you are getting SX4 with lots of useful stuff (even corrola might not hav that).n at a very cheaper price...then why not SX4??.....optras interiors are only good(diesel is a good bet but  u want a petrol so i dont think its good idea to spend more on it..........but ya .......if u want a bigger car n wnna havStatus Symbol...then only think of corrola or optra..!smiley17.gif

I agree with bluesapphire on corolla, 1.8HE is no good and is missing many of basic features of a luxury car and I won't like to strech upto H1.

I am getting a good deal in Optra (I think so), 60K corporate discount. Checked with dealers they are normally offering 40-45K discount.

But checked some of used car classifieds, optra being about 1+L more expensive than SX4 before discount and about 65K more expensive after discount, sells for almost same price as SX4 after a year of usage.

Will I be able to make my SX4 look luxurious, by spending 20-30K on it?

if you are stretching budget little bit more then dont think this only that here is all u hav to pay!!......remember after the car is yours you hav then there  different expensis that one cant think of ........so beware about it n then only take  final descison! choice is yours just yours!smiley1.gifvibhor2008-08-05 11:02:02

see if u think sx4 is good go for that...but if u strongly feel that Optra is better or much better than dont think for resale...u should buy car that make u happy and u should look towards resale value but it should be not the sole criteria...see ur happiness and satisfaction level..