avinash2603

Maruti Esteem Engine Life

Hi Guys,

I own a Maruti Esteem which has run around 78,000 Kms. The engine sounds good at the moment. Does anyone has an idea how much more it can run ? I have got different answers from diff mechanics. Some say 100K, some says the engine can run till 200K.

Any ideas ??

Avinash.

All that I can say is that the Alloy engine is pretty long lived. A taxi operator bought my old Esteem (carb) with 66k on the clock . When he sold it the car had done over 400,000km. No overhauls till he sold it. I had occasion to ride it about four months before he sold it, and did notice it was down in performance. It was not smoking or anything.

In general I would say that at least 150,000 to 200,000 should be definitely on.

it also depends with wat conditions are u running it .

and what kind of fuel are you using in it..

i have an Esteem back at home and my brother drives it on CNG in Delhi.

m quite confident while i am saying that he is just ruining up the engine..

because every engine is made up with compression ratio with accordance to its usable fuel..even if CNG ignites at the same flash point..what about the lubrication on the engine??

so i would rather say on normal driving on petrol..,the engine lasts for at least 200k..

The Esteem engine was one of the best during its heydays in India. It was very advanced technologically, until the Daewoo Cielo came along in 1996 with the MPFI engine.

The Esteem engine should run 150,000 to 200,000 kms trouble free. Use the best quality engine oil, change oil, oil filter and spark plugs at recommended intervals.All these ingredients keep the engine happy and rolling.

Thanx for the replies. I'm having 1997 esteem. Going by the replies i think it will run at least 150K km if proper care is taken.

However, the body has become old and produces too much sound. May be the body work has to be done.

A relatively weaker body has always been Maruti's Achilles heel. This is a consequence of a light weight body in interest of costs and economy. Things are improving of late. The Swift is heavier than the Esteem! How Honda manage a light but rigid body which ages well is a question which has to be answered.  

Depends. It is very difficult and expensive to get all the welding redone/touched up. On the other hand if it is the suspension then an overhaul incl. new springs and dampers should do nicely. But do not expect new car silence!!

Also, at this mileage the CV joints may also need to be looked at.

sgiitk2008-08-13 07:51:48

the minimum engine life is atlesast 2,00,000 kms....my zen 2001 make has done 1,02,000 kms and the engine still feels like new though many things feel old but the key to engine life is maintainance....in my locality their is a family who are known for not caring about their cars...their 6 year old santro sounds as if its got the engine of tata 407 fitted in it !!!!

Actually dampers and springs refers to suspention componenents.Overhauling of suspension means changing the shock absorbers, springs and rubber components lower arms, ends etc for both front and rear as the esteem has independent suspension for front and rear.

You need an engine overhaul approximately around the 200,000 kilometer mark for the esteem. The rattle problem is pretty easy to fix, change the door hinges!

8 door hinges should cost you around 800 rupees. The front windows rattle too, so get that checked. If the suspension is clunking, get the lower arms checked.

There's no need for body work unless your car is rusting badly and you have abused it. My esteem's doing fine @ 123,000 kilometers and the only reason I've kept it is because it's extremely reliable.

It depends on how the car has been maintained, i mean servicing etc. My Zen is 101100Kms and what i have spent is on a new tyres and regular servicing every 15000Kms. Get the Timing Chain of the car checked thats all

Hello,

I have brought esteem vxi 2006 model  (mpfi) two months back. The first owner was NRI so he just drove 23k km. He has serviced the vehicle at 20K which is almost 2years back. My garage mechanic told to change the oils @30k km. I am also not riding on regular basis. It will take me another 6-8months to reach 30k km mark. I have no idea about the expiry date of dates different oils used in car. Also I can see two oil reservoirs one for power steering and another one which mentions use dot 3 oil. What is this 2nd reservoir for?

Please let me understand how often i need to change the oil even though car was just standing.

Any recommendations for oils to be used will be highly appreciated.

Thanks