sgiitk

Car Vandals

I am starting this topic to get an insight to the current favourite activities of Vandals in various parts of the country. At one time about 25 years ago it was common practice in Mumbai to keep the wipers in the car and then rush out to fix them when it rained.

Some favourite activities are:

1. Swipe ORVMs

2. Swipe/band wipers

3. Swipe badges (in the 70's when there was a popular band VW in the UK almost all VWs had their badges swiped).

4. Scratch paintwork.

5. Break antenna.

6. Break in and steal music systems.

7. Steal spare tyre.

At present the favourites over here seems to be scratch paintwork and vandalise antenna.

sgiitk2008-08-12 05:42:33

Here are some of my experiences:

• Broken ORVM :( - twice on my Ikon

• Scratched paintwork

• Scratched Windshield

There was one more incident: While our Elantra CRDi was still brand new, we were travelling towards Tirupati and when passing through a village in Tamil Nadu, some small boys threw a stone towards the car which left a small dent on the Driver's door smiley18.gif.

octane_1002008-08-12 06:04:42

I agree scratching and paint work will top the list. I would like to share one experience: The day I came home with brand new Santro Xing, all my family members get in to the car and went to Temple for prayer. The car was parked perfectly in sideline of road. As soon as we started to come back, someone came from wrong side and make scratch on fender. The first scratch in just 10 minutes..  smiley19.gif Still that scratch is there on the car. But with the grace of God I have not suffered any more big scratches since then and the car is still in original paint, after 4 years.

I have noticed that theft of side view mirrors is most rampant in Mumbai. Almost all dealers fit mirror locks as standard practice here. I have not noticed them in other cities.

The biggest irony of it is that these stolen mirrors are openly available in chor bazaar but still the cops dont do anything about it.

For my expensive cars i now get the number etched on the mirror so even if its stolen no one else can use it.

Once on new year's night , my Honda City was parked outside Army Club, it was too late & dark for us to even notice what had happened & we returned home. The next day  , when I went to the car, a no. of items were missing- Orvm's , wheel cups, no. plates. It felt very bad, but then I got my stuff back by pulling someone elses ! 

It would have been tit for tat if you had done it to the same person. But since the sufferer here is some one else (i am assuming this, please correct me if i am wrong) i don't know how it is justified.

However let me add that I am not judging you here and don't take it personally.

To me it was A,B..Z.., who stole my things & I got back from A,B ...Z..., simple.

Well, Im not afraid of people judging me, till I know Im right. I just got back my things, the way they went !

In Kolkata I am told by relatives that the Mullick Bazar is a notorious place. Here used/stolen car spares are sold at dirt cheap prices.They say if you park your car and go searching for some spares, chances are that the shop selling these to you, may by that time store and display some spares stolen from your parked car within minutes!

For me vandals (touchwood I 've not had anything notorious done on my cars so far) steal indicator covers(Marutis),wheel hub covers (once my Landmaster was a victim) and spare wheels for the Bolero / MM540DP and other SUV's with stepneys fitted outside-though this has never happened to me.

I dont leave 'my precious' (with a gollum-ish twist) ones unattended (except malls, where there are guards). The only vandals ive known are monkeys, who thought that my honda city was a bench...got a slight depression on the fender and bonnet!

the vandals in my area have stolen the electric orvm's of my corolla (2006 make) and have even put a slight dent on the both right hand side doors.....this is totally irritating cause many cars in my colony have been stolen of their electric orvm's and i am currently thinking of not putting the orvm's till the mess is cleared up !!!!

well it happens only in india !!!! well a query...are the mirror locks (i have never seen or used them ) good enough to protect the electric orvm's ?????? cause i dont want that i get new orvm's only to be stolen in a few months time again....

well it happens only in india !!!! well a query...are the mirror locks (i have never seen or used them ) good enough to protect the electric orvm's ?????? cause i dont want that i get new orvm's only to be stolen in a few months time again....

Honestly speaking the locks are just glued on so one good whack with a screwdriver and a hammer will take it off. However, since i have had them on my car my mirrors have not been stolen. Maybe the theives are too lazy to take the trouble. smiley36.gif

thanx for info manish....i hope ur mirrors stay forever!!! but its a helpless situation for car owners (in respect to orvm) who dont have a driveway in their house and have to park the car on the road...the thief had stolen my corolla's orvm in such a way that even a company mechanic would be humbled seeing the level of perfection (its a clean cut no wires coming out neatly done piece of robbery ) !!!!

To me it was A' date='B..Z.., who stole my things & I got back from A,B ...Z..., simple.
Well, Im not afraid of people judging me, till I know Im right. I just got back my things, the way they went !
[/quote']

This is what is known as 'Street Justice' where everybody or anybody can decide to do whatever he thinks is right. The law of the land be damned.

What is even worse such people are not ashamed of their actions and rather boasting proudly that I did this.

Sorry Speed, what you did was very wrong. You should have reported the matter to police, rather that stealing some innocent person's car parts.