asheesh1982

Mercedes Value

Hi every auto journalist is rating AUDI and BMW higher than Merc. Have we forgotten that what r luxury cars made for. If i want to race a 50 Lac car i wont go for a sedan rather a sports coupe. These cars r made for luxury and they should be better doing that. Its no doubt that they r fast and have tonnes of features. But steering feedback and road feel is something that is not for these cars.

in fact it is better

Audi and BMW are indeed faster

some ppl actually drive luxury saloons really fast

like E-class it is nothing compared to its competition from Audi and BMW

C-class is also not as good

only S-class gives toughest fight to its competitors

Ya even my cousin bought a Q7 and races it!!! rich ppl do everything possible...

Your cousin is sure to hit the head line's for all the wrong reasons: hope the 'pavement dweller's' in his locality have adequate insurance. In India, even if you have four heads like 'Brahma' and even if you have all eyes pealed for surprises, even then our roads throw surprises. Here you race at your own and other's expense.

Hi every auto journalist is rating AUDI and BMW higher than Merc. Have we forgotten that what r luxury cars made for. If i want to race a 50 Lac car i wont go for a sedan rather a sports coupe. These cars r made for luxury and they should be better doing that. Its no doubt that they r fast and have tonnes of features. But steering feedback and road feel is something that is not for these cars.

Auto journos don't merely rate cars on the basis of handling/performance. BMW has better interiors, better plastics than most mercs.  A BMW 5 feels way more luxurious than a Merc E-class. Also, the new C class has no electric front seats ( I think it's semi-electric) whereas the Beemer has electrically adjustable front seats. I love the i-drive and BMWs feel special.

I can't comment on audi, never been in an audi.

The mercedes E class feels terribly outdated as compared to it's counterparts and the Audis and beemers look way classier than the mercs.

Speaking of which, I miss the good old W123,124. They were so well built and reliable.

An Ambassador can be made luxurious, after all, it has more leg-room than the aforementioned cars. It's possible to change the interiors in the amby. But it's slow and it rolls like a hippo. In fact it's one of the worst cars. I hope you're getting the analogy.

And nowadays everybody wants mixture of both worlds ...those who like races will not race everyday but they will like to drive like doing racing some day so a sports coupe will not solve d purpose...same way everybody wants that they get pleasure of both so that its full Paisa vasool...thus Audi and Bmw are for those who love to drive and also to be driven ...while merc is car in which one can only be driven ...

merc ..is good for its ride quality....which is not there in the beemer or even audi.....although E class is outdated in terms of interiors......its ride quality cant be matched by the other two..........

In Europe the Merc / BMW / Audi / Volvo markets are quite a bit dictated by the profession and age of the driver. The younger set prefers the BMW / Audi which the older person goes for the Merc / Volvo. Doctors seem to prefer Volvos and (also) Rolls'es, the latter with a personalized plate (it is rumoured because) as then you cannot judge its age that easily! In other words many Harley Street Consultants drive Rolls'es.

Well u cant consider Mercedes as slow. A car having a max speed of 228KM/H and 0-100 in 8.67 sec.. well that car keeps u planted doesnt let u feel the heat of racing doesnt mean it is slow. Every body wants to go fast and racing without much drama from the car isnt it ?

Racing means not only fast ...the grip the handling and other things matter and it should be drivers car means well to drive and audi and bmw are well to drive while merc when compared is not enthusiasts car while for chauffer driven car its hard to beat merc but as i said nowadays people want of both worlds so both co's are accepted well by people

@ asheesh1982

well if u are interested in steering feed-back and all , i suggest u import an merc SLK 350  , u personally import it as there are many fraunds around . the second hand car isn't that bad.

Cars which are introduced in india are more adepted to indian conditions hence we feel the lack in steering feed-back.

but beware the petrol bills will kill-ya or u can do what i had done , converted the c-180 to CNG but wouldn't be a wise thing to do to an SLK .

u could also try the lexus hybrid coupe , u will save duty on that beast as hybrid vehicals have less duty

well u cant say that a luxury car should be a sedate performer.....mercedes benz is  a brand for those people who prefer to be chauffered around and its a bit of sedate performer compared to audi and bmw....now bmw and audi are cars for people who prefer to drive themselves and are car enthusiasts  and well they are really very good performers !!!!

i don't think mercs are way behind in performance (speed acceleration) to be tagged as less sporty. all cars merc/bmw/audi are electronically limited to 250 kph top speed. difference in acceleration may also be very negligible. audi may benefit from 4 wheel drive for certain models.

Thats the point, comparisons should not be on the mindset that AUDI / BMW is for younger people and Merc for old. Bentley is for rich , does that mean it is not as fun to drive as any other car. Auto journalists have voted SX4 as best handling car in India,....

Hey buddies, BMWs are know for their response....Its well known that BMWs are the pure driver's cars.... It doesnt mean Mercs are inferior... all the three, Merc, AUDI and BMW holds equal positions but the final choice depends upon the person who is gonna use it....say , for ex, A person who prefer self driving most of the times will go for a BMW or AUDI.....Merc stands for Luxury and hence will be better driven by Chauffer.

Even though Audi and BMW are rated higer does not mean that both are selling more than the Mercedes. Its about the perception of the brands and also what you want out of a car. And between the segments these three are present in, there are different leaders. For eg. The new C class is its segment leader, the 5 series, its and the Q7 its. I feel, the Mercs are for the oldies and the BMW for the young at heart. Audi is in between.