rssh

Hydraulic or Electronic power steering?

Indian market is in mix of both types of steering in every segment one says that EPS is better other says HPS is better no one says what bad abt each other.

EPS uses less power at slow speed while other high and as speed increases its vice versa.

EPS people say that its safer coz its electronically powered and the oil wont leak like that of  Hydraulic.

HPS people say that its steering is more sensitive and the steering is not dead at high speeds.

I m totally confused state ur views on it.

definitely the EPS(Electronic Power steering) and not the hydraulic one.  . EPS is used in Maruti and not in TATA or Hyundai or Chevy.also may i know in which brands this EPS is used other than MAruti Suzuki.????????

By all accounts EPS is more economical in power, lighter, and simpler. However, all reviews of cars with EPS (incl. Honda City Mk.II which has EPS instead of hydraulic in Mk.I) suggest that road feel in not as good.

Dear Friend,

On all accounts HPS is musch better. EPS is used in smaller cars for the benefits of packaging and cost and also their tiny engines neednot be burdened by the load of the power steering pump. EPS has little or no feedback from the road and will be non linear in assistance, not to mention overlight. The main advantage of EPS is it costa far far less to make ( read profitable), compact . It is not used in luxury cars or for that matter in any BMW, merc or audi.. for this imple reason... those are sophisticated machines and their drivers expect engineering excellence over anything else.... also EPS cannot take load beyond a certain limit because it runs from the 12 volt battery system.. for heavy vehicles for EPS to be used it has to run on a 42 volt system ( much complex)... Maruti uses it because it is very compact and very cheap to manufacture and adapt to their small cars...ne test drive of any maruti and compare it with a santro HPS u will understand how sweet the santros steering is and how PS2 the maruti is....

EPS is cheaper to implement but once your electronics go,so does it, also the electric motor is subject to low life, compare that to a properly designed hydraulic like the one in Qualis or the ZF used in Gurkha, you have a super reliable system which if kept clean will go for well over 200,000 miles and unlike EPS, will give enough warning before the impending failure.

What about power steering failures? I read that the EPS switches to a manual mode in case of any emergency. What about the hydraulic power steerings (HPS)? 

Hydraulic power steerings (HPS) is actually hydraulic assist power steering.........in case of HPS failure, you just end up with a very heavy steering....so no danger as such....

I agree with everyones opinion that EPS feels like a PS2...love the feel(read feedback ) of HPS

I wouls expect electro mechanical components to have better durability and reliability that mechanical components. I have a feeling that one model of one of the German big boys (Merc/BMW) now has EPS as well.

@rssh Yes the Swift has EPS.

i think the best is Electro-Hydraulic like the ones in Fabia ...

Hydraulic - Pros - Fantastic Feel of drive, most driver friendly & lot more accurate, can handle real high loads like all busses and trucks have hydarulic PS, Cons - Maintanance (imagine checking oils and leakages), ExWork costs, Lesser mileage (around 2~3%), Control of the Hydralic system is complicated and can not be switched on or off by wish of a will ...

EPS - Pros - Light, best for city driving, no maintnance at all, higher mileage, Control system is sofisticated and there by can be switched on or off based on speed - mostly will be switched off at higher speeds as it becomes very sensitive, cheap even with controller

Cons- vauge, lacks driver feel altogether, many a times you never know u have turned half or full ...

It is true that EPS has lesser response and feel than that of the HPS. But it has also improved a lot-the SX4 being the best example. It has(acc. to autocarindia) the same responsiveness as that of the Ikon.

So we should give it time and see in future how the EPS comes along.

Btw I think civic also has an EPS.

I agree with FRG, feel is important in the city's close confines and EPS doesn't offer that. As I said I have driven my brother's Alto LXI it feels overservoed and you don't know where the car is going when you turn. Whereas the Hyundai Elantra's hydraulic steering requires more effort but has loads of feel. Small cars: EPS; Big cars: HPS, thats my thought.

The point with a sun roof installation is to reinforce the the remaining part of the roof once the rectangle of metal is removed. This is necessary fboth from the safety and structural integrity points of view. Some of the cheapo's may not do it adequately. This is the same as you cannot make a convertible by just chopping off the top!

Check another thread about the Xenon lamps issue.

sgiitk2008-03-10 06:51:44