speed

What all did you do today?

Updated the pending software updates in Linux for my HP mini. Took about 1 hour to complete. Then cleaned my room(fans, refrigerator top, a wall clock, curtain rods, window glass) and made my hands and t-shirt dirtysmiley1.gif. Went to college and attended 2 boring class. Came back and went to play badminton with friends. Now had a nice supper of 4 chapatis, paneer masala, tarka dal and a glass of milk.

***EDIT***

studied economics and maths for some time too. smiley12.gif

sb-alto2010-01-27 17:14:22

Mine is a preloaded Linux 2.26 Gnome edition. So was looking forward to change it. Will try this then. Thank you. Will go as per your advice.

Yes Rahul is a fan of open source. So that says a lotsmiley20.gif. Even i am trying to go that way.

@sb-alto: Ubuntu is the most 'intuitive' of all Linux OS', I think, and is very easy for someone brought up on window's, and doesn't require a lot of learning, unlike other generation's of Linux, correct me if I'm wrong. I installed it some 1 month back and find myself booting in with Ubuntu most of the time and XP feels slow like a tortoise in comparison. Use XP only to download songs and video's from the net or if I have to use my cellphone or scanner. 

Went to Rural Areas of Bengal just for fun. A Saturday trip with no aim and to see new places. Roads were awesome and wished i had a car capable to do 300kmph.

Here are the images taken by dad with cell phone

image009e.jpg

image012oy.jpg

image015r.jpg

image017l.jpg

image019w.jpg

image024i.jpg

image027ft.jpg

image031k.jpg

image040l.jpg

@Kinshuk: Your Altis look's even better than new, it's spanking and gleaming new, like a bride on a wedding day.

@sb-alto: That remind's me when the East Coast road was opened to the public we went for a drive with the intent of checking it out, after lunch on a Sunday and next we were there on Pondicherry beach watching the sunset, some 140 kms away. Yes, when the road beckon's, you just drive, and it takes you to your destination. I had a M800 at that time.

@bala:

Pics were taken with cellphone camera which is only 2mp. So quality is not as good as 10/12mp cameras i have.

***EDIT***

@DD: It really gives a joy to do such drives with least tension and no aim. Its a different feeling altogether.

sb-alto2010-01-30 17:01:41

Clipped the left OVRM luckily only had to replace the mirror, cost Rs.467 only; mad traffic. Luckily the electric mirror's are working and there's no scratch on the housing, too. My mistake, I misjudged the clearance from a lorry parked on the side.

DD, I had a similar experience a couple of days back. An Accord driven by an Aunty would have banged my car bad had I not maneuvered at the last instance. Inspite of my best efforts, the OVRM's of both the cars locked horns. My mirror along with the casing fell off. I stopped my car & picked up the stuff, by the time Aunty preferred to get away. Btw, she was also busy on her Cell phone when the accident took place.

I thought, the blow would cost me dear but on closer inspection later, I realized that the locks of the casing just opened & did not break. I was easily able to fix things back with the mirror also intact.smiley20.gif

@DD:

Sorry to hear that. Rs467 for a mirror is cheap for such a costly car and one which is discontinued.

@BornFee:

Nothing happened to that Accord mirror? That aunty was actually getting make-up tips over the phone and checking out her face in those mirror. I hope the mirror crackssmiley36.gif

The angle of collision was such that Accord escaped unscathed!

Had my mirror gone for a toss, the loss would have been around 4k minimum.

Easy damage to OVRM's force users to keep them folded, a bad thing to do though.

I've seen people talking on cell phones while driving, make numerous errors. There are laws according to which a challan can be issued to such offenders, but who cares! Enforcement is the key here, sadly missing big-time.

DD and Bornfree guess the ORVM's take the first hit these days rather than bumpers in the olden days.

My Scorpio's driver's side ORVM was scratched and mauled while entering through a narrow gate, but had just escaped being broken when new.Now with the body coloured painting done the scratches are gone.

OVRM's are the first line of defense, I never fold them.  @sb-alto: That's why I'm a Hyundai fan, The service advisor, when he saw me, just reeled out name of my car and registration number; I was impressed, this after taking my car for service once a year, and they were tripping on their shoe lace's to please me and put me at ease. That's what impresses. I will alway's be with Hyundai and Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai.

Anjan & DD, yes ORVM's & bumpers take the maximum beating. That's the reason why I love my 800's black/grey bumpers & Orvm's.

I wish Auto companies adopt some new techniques in developing bumpers & Orvm's keeping in mind Indian road conditions. Body colored Bumpers & Orvm's are a pain to maintain.

CB, Im driving a Corolla these days.

Edit: yes Sb-alto, black bumpers & Orvm's do a good job in preventing the scars from showing but still there's no denying the fact that body colored ones look much better.

The foldable & without electric/electronic control are better off as they fold easily on impact but again electrically adjustable have their own positives. Imagine adjusting the manual Orvm of the passenger side in a big car, its a real pain.

As I said, companies have done nothing in the name of R&D when it comes to designing Bumpers & Orvm's which are Indian traffic specific. Anyhow, they are after gains & body colored ones earn them more through frequent & expensive repairs.
BornFree2010-02-01 17:49:29