speed

What all did you do today?

@BornFree

Thats why i chose the black body colour for my Alto, will serve both purpose. And I think normal mirrors are better than Internally adjustable or Electronic ones. Goes easy on pocket in case of damage. Mine got a number of hits, even from moving cars but no scratch or crack.

My poor car suffered the wrath of the infamous yellow number plate qualis taxis today. He tried to come in between me and another car and ended up hitting me and the other guy who was also in a NHC. He jammed me from the left forcing me to go into the polica barrierd on my right. Thankfully they were there otherwise i would have ended up on the wrong side of the road.

I was extremely angry but apparently the other guy the taxi wala hit was in far more pissed than me. He had managed to stop the taxi wala by the time i caught up with them. All I had to do was stand there because this guy was shouting the taxi walas ears off. After another 2 mins of shouting he smacked the taxi wala a couple of times and we were on our merry way. Yes, hitting the 'poor guy' wasn't exactly the right thing to do but tell that to my poor bumper that is broken and I now have to replace. For now, I have it in place with some black cellotape. Will post pictures tomorrow.

@A. Sethi: Sorry to hear about that. It's just like a circus, out there, If your out of India and return in say 6 month's time the traffic would have become even worse. Total anarchy.

@sb-alto: The width of the D segmenter's doesn't allow for having ordinary mirror's or even internally adjustable one's, the electrical mirror allows the driver to adjust the mirror's to suit his line of vision: it's a real boon; though expensive if it get's damaged. Had I got the mechanism and housing damaged it would have set me back by 2,500 quid instead of the 467.

I got the bumpers changed and now the whole car looks wierd with the bumpers shining as if they are new and the rest of the car remaining duty and old with scratches all over it.

IMG00031-20100202-1755.jpg

IMG00035-20100202-1757.jpg

The taxi guy crashed here. Besides the single dent just on the top right of the light no other marks. Got the paint removed with some polish.

IMG00034-20100202-1757.jpg

Another image of the contrast between the bumper and the rest of the body. The broken cover of the light is from a seperate incidence, co-incidentally also from a taxi wala. smiley36.gif. Yes, I must appear to be a bad driver but I really am not. Its the bloody taxi walas.

IMG00038-20100202-1807.jpg
asethi9192010-02-02 12:42:13

@Sethi: I doesn't look all that weird.

@CB:"From the few above posts, i came to know, Corolla's ORVM set costs 4k where as Elantra's is 2.5k,

Is Toyota's spare that costlier?"

That's the difference between contender to the throne<Corolla> and pretender<Elantra>. Corolla is the largest selling car in the world, buddy. It's brand equity sells across boundaries and countries.

Corolla's parts are expensive but then they come with small little innovations like the ORVM opened up & fell off rather than breaking. Its like Nokia mobiles falling down & battery, cover separating to save the phone.

Even the bumpers are designed to take minor bumps/shunts without breaking.

At the end of the day one can't really point out something grossly bad in a Honda or a Toyota, they set benchmarks in the category they operate in.

asethi thats a nightmare we people in shiny cars are always vulnerable to.Even bicycle and scooter/bike hits cost us dearly. Good that you got the bumper fixed and the looks restored. The insurance fellows don't pay for plastic parts. You can also try a Com Paint pressurised container for touch up jobs.Check the date of manufacture as many stock old ones that create some problems with the paint matching. Black is a very good colour and is very accommodative for touch up jobs.

DD Regarding ORVMs I can share a joke.My friend who was a second hand car dealer once had sold an Opel Astra for some Rs 95000/-. The ORVM on the driver's side was non existent.So he was taken to the GM A.S.S. (they used to stock Astra spares then). They showed a brand new mirror and said the cost is Rs 4500/-. The buyer fled from the place.

anjan_c20072010-02-02 14:26:01

The best ORVM concept that I have seen is in SX4. The SX4 ORVMS IIRC go all the way covering a 180 degree angle. So even if you get that motorcyclewala who hits your ORVM they are saved by going all around.

All Delhites will agree with me here that rather than buying things like OVRMs and bumpers from the car companies, we would rather go to Karol Baghsmiley36.gif. I was planning to do the same had the guy not been able to fix the current ones.

The fixed mirrors without electrical adjustments in the Toyota Innova is a really good one. You can have the full view of the road behind and reversing the car using the mirrors is a child's play !!Whether it's a short driver or a tall one, at any position of the driver seat one does not have to adjust the vision.

The best ORVM concept that I have seen is in SX4. The SX4 ORVMS IIRC go all the way covering a 180 degree angle.

That's there in the Corolla too.

Even Accent mirror's bend all the way back instead of breaking; but haven't tried it with my Elantra. Elantra mirror's are very sturdy, have kissed other's mirrors while passing, on a couple of occasions, with no damage at all. The paint also hasn't peeled off only a few minor scratches.

Ok went to Taratala today to meet my Dad's friend. Biggest story of the day is a BMW M3 (old model) blasted me off. Tried to catch up but not till i met a turn where it slowed but never stopped. It was followed by a old Merc E250 (again old model) which was apparently racing in the empty streets with that M3 but could not catch up. (ok i am not talking about any pre arranged race, just a show off in the streets to show that Yes!! we are superior). Caught a few pics on the way.

The tata nano

image025id.jpg

The road to Alipore. The land of imports in Kolkata

image045r.jpg

image046g.jpg

Roads in Alipore

image048l.jpg

A road block by a trailer truck. Waited 10 mins for clearance

image053.jpg

That BMW M3 Red in colour.

image063c.jpg

Sorry for the low quality image. Was too fast to be framed

image064b.jpg

The actual image of a M3

BMW%20M3%20Barnstaple.JPG

History_M3_E30_3.jpg

The Merc E250

image070k.jpg

@Cyrus :

It was spotless and looked new, but the car was old. The engine seemed super tuned and the way it shot out was awesome. It had the exact same looks as those pictures posted above. Exhaust note is a pleasure to hear. smiley1.gif

The best ORVM concept that I have seen is in SX4. The SX4 ORVMS IIRC go all the way covering a 180 degree angle.

?

That's there in the Corolla too.

Even Accent mirror's bend all the way back instead of breaking; but haven't tried it with my Elantra. Elantra mirror's are very sturdy' date=' have kissed other's mirrors while passing, on a couple of occasions, with no damage at all. The paint also hasn't peeled off only a few minor scratches.[/quote']

Oh and here I was thinking I had seen something new. smiley18.gif

Regardless I feel it is a very good concept and should be applied in all the cars.rahul18102010-02-04 18:43:37

Sunday last was like any other weekend for me. I gave a wash to my 1955 Landmaster and also washed some portions under the bonnet. When I tried

to start it there was no response from the self starter.Alas what could

it be? I traced the fault to the self activator (shown in the picture)

which looks very innocent per se.Perhaps

some water entered it through some wear and tear portion around the

piston like rod which moves on a plastic base, on the front side.After

disassembling this spare, I could locate a new one in my stock- a brand

new one.But more problems cropped up when the screw thread broke away

from the main body during the fitting and bolt tightening.I used

Fevikwik but that stuck the piston like rod with the screw.smiley7.gif

When I went to the few dealers here who stock such spares all drew a

blank.One electrician known to me however has promised to repair the

old one. One spare dealer said that in his 35 years in business he

never saw anyone getting this self activator repaired. It is a sealed unit after all- use and throw. Another said he could search his attic and would take time.

Yesterday I went to my trusted mechanic Babubhai who put his men in action

and got the unwanted Fevikwik separated in the brand new broken

activator. He then got the threaded screw welded (radiator soldering

like as welding would heat up the unit and affect the electricals

inside its box)- alas the new one is now ready for fitment.

And cheers to the Sardarji of Punjab Auto Electric, who may also repair the old one and hand it over to me soon.smiley1.gif

The not so innocent spare:-

landamster.jpg

The engine bay with the self activator just on the front lower part of the battery

selfactivator.jpg

The old self activator

dsc04861.jpg

The new one-notice the plastic through which the piston like rod moves when the self switch is pulled activating the starter.

As it was dark I could not fit the new repaired one-will do this during the coming weekend.