lineshshah

Benefits Nitrogen in Tires

You must be aware that now we can fill Nitrogen in Tires, It has following benefits :

1) Nitrogen is cool gas, so it keeps tire temperature cool even after running on high speed for long time, which minimizes the chances of tires Busting.

2) Nitrogen doesn

I hope you know that air is 80% nitrogen.

Benefits if any of Using Nitrogen in automotive use are ZILCH. It is another Snake Oil!!! Nitrogen is used in some aircraft tyres, but in automotive use? Of course it is your money and you take your choice.

What is highly desirable is to avoid air from service station since it may contain a high moisture content, which will cause higher pressure variations as the tyres warm up /cool down.

MODs I remember a discussion on Nitrogen in another thread some time back - dedicated or not I do not know.

sgiitk2008-09-08 04:53:24

I got Nitrogen filled in my Matiz at Noida last year. I was charged only 50 Rs. I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality which was very pleasent. I cant say about the other benefits as I dont drive at high speed in NCR. Only problem was that the service station was far off so I could not get it filled regularly.

Given easy availability, I will definitely go for Nitrogen.

I got Nitrogen filled in my Matiz at Noida last year. I was charged only 50 Rs. I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality which was very pleasent. 

Are you sure that your tyre pressures were correct before the fill. I presume all air from tyres was removed prior to the Nitrogen fill otherwise I need not say more.... Checking and filling tyres once a week as recommended adds up to Rs.2500 pa as per the numbers quoted by you, which will buy a new tyre for most of the smaller cars!

You must be aware that now we can fill Nitrogen in Tires, It has following benefits :

1) Nitrogen is cool gas, so it keeps tire temperature cool even after running on high speed for long time, which minimizes the chances of tires Busting.

2) Nitrogen doesn

actually as i said in my previous post ...nitrogen is not so common and is availabe only in few selected outlets....in delhi where i know its available in a petrol pump in R.K.Puram !

SGiitk: Please give some credit of some intelligence to others also and I speak from practical experience, not theoretical knowledge.

yes all tyres were fully deflated before filling the Nirogen. There was definite improvement in ride quality. The 50 rs. charges was one time filling only and after that periodic topups were free. even if he was charging some amount for topups, I would have paid that, as that would have been money well spent. Only problem was that the shop was out of the way.

It is the biggest tyre dealer in Noida - Tyre Shoppe, opposite Sector 6 in Noida. In Delhi, one company owned IOC pump opposite Bhikaji Kama place on ring road had installed the machine but not commissioned before I left India.

I will definitely recommend nitrogen filling to all interested members.

SGiitk: Please give some credit of some intelligence to others also and I speak from practical experience' date=' not theoretical knowledge.

yes all tyres were fully deflated before filling the Nirogen. There was definite improvement in ride quality. The 50 rs. charges was one time filling only and after that periodic topups were free. even if he was charging some amount for topups, I would have paid that, as that would have been money well spent. Only problem was that the shop was out of the way.

It is the biggest tyre dealer in Noida - Tyre Shoppe, opposite Sector 6 in Noida. In Delhi, one company owned IOC pump opposite Bhikaji Kama place on ring road had installed the machine but not commissioned before I left India.

I will definitely recommend nitrogen filling to all interested members.

[/quote']

I am not fibbing and a practical man. The only advantage I can see with nitrogen is reduced ageing of the inners. 

You did not answer the question - whether the tyres were properly inflated before the nitrogen refill. Also, if you are in the habit of getting the tyres filled up at service stations you will have a lot of moisture which will change the pressure dramatically. Dry nitrogen in empty tyres will rectify this.

Also, the dial type pressure gauges (fortunately now obsolete) at pumps often have 5psi or more errors. I use a small battery driven  pump and use my own gauge. If nitrogen is good then why not Helium? Except do not try it since the gas will run out of the tyres in no time!

As the cockney will say,"You pays your money, and takes your choice". I know where my choice lies.

sgiitk2008-09-09 07:03:10

Bringing back an old topic up. Today when i went to service my zen in pratham motors (Outer Ring Road, Bangalore) they had a big banner advertising filling nitrogen. They suggested me to do it and said it has benefits like smoother ride and less heat etc...

Charge was Rs100 for 5 tyres, a one time cost. Future checking and top ups are free. They recommend checking once in 6 months.

I went ahead and did it as stay close to the service center and hence decided to see if there was any difference. Had only a small drive after this was done. First impression was ride was a little more stiff than usual... But that maybe because it had just been serviced. Need to have a longer run...

Well 2weeks back i got this nitrogen filled in my Honda City and yes the tyres were deflated before filling nitrogen and yes i do noticed ride and handling improvement...

Although you would say that its just psycology but my mother didnt knew that i have got nitro filled in her car and oneday she suddenly said me that the handling of car is improved means car was much lighter than before and she liked it then i said that it might be Nitro effect...And you dont need a check till 3 months(Guarantee is also given for 3months) and second fill can be after 6months so no tension of checking tyres every now and then and it costed me Rs.150 for 5tyres...I am planning to get my other 2cars filled with this...

Interesting ..

How easily we are carried away with such ''snake Oil''

Have you heard of ''Placebo'': its a dummy medicine ( tablet) given to some patient which doesnt have any medicine value, the result is 80% patient report improvement in their health.

( Being pharmasist have studied it .. so quoted)

This is a similar thing.

Filling Nitrogen in tyres n expiriencing a improvement in ride quality...........Cant digest!smiley1.gif

Ride quality is all about the right tyre pressure n quality of tyres u r using with the suspension system of your car n nothing to do with nitrogen

Wel, If someone is getting that pschycological feel by doing this... better go for it!

ultimately Satisfaction is important.

nice to see like minded visionaries on this forum!smiley36.gif

nitrogen in tyres(crapp)!!..what next "Red Bull" in petrol?[QUOTE=bhalchandra]
lets try filling helium in our tires .......too much funn

Good Idea

we will fly then..... Freedom from traffic jam and bad roads..)
DARXIDE2009-02-20 07:47:39

nice to see like minded visionaries on this forum!smiley36.gif

nitrogen in tyres(crapp)!!..what next "Red Bull" in petrol?[QUOTE=bhalchandra']
lets try filling helium in our tires .......too much funn

Good Idea

we will fly then..... Freedom from traffic jam and bad roads..)

Red bull... NICE Idea !!!

You can add the small  Heartattack cure pills which contain nitrogylcerin. Your fuel will have higher octane then, and your car goes crazy. Its cheap man!!!. (just 2 rs). Saw this technique used in a movie " Worlds fastest Indian"

Yup lot of criticism here. Info I got from some research on the net is that filling nitrogen is not harmful but the benefits are not valid for a normal person driving normally. It has good benefits in high speed driving and racing (like formula 1 and airplane tyres and all)

And couple of other major disadv is cost and availability. In my case I decided to try it because the maruti service center charged a one time Rs100 with free check up and top up (If they dont stick to that i can always go back to normal filling). And the place is next to my house also

m using nitrogen in my santro for more than a year .....certainly it is better than normal air..handling , ride and to some extent fuel economy improves...and u dont have to get tyre pressure checkd every fortnight ...certainly better than normal air saying this through my personal experience

Should we fill nitrogen or not?

A local dealer here says that it is enough to check once in 3 months. Sounds good. But here the criticism for it is more. Please help.

Once in three months - the chap must be nuts.smiley7.gifsmiley7.gif

I will not trust him to sell me anything. The recommended interval is one a week. I keep a gauge and pump in each of my cars and the interval is at most once a fortnight plus before any long trip.