vibhor

...Now Skoda to also join the 'Cheap'car race!!

@speed - i don't know from where you have got those figures! anyhow, my friend got his car serviced after one year,i'm not sure of the price(but it was 3500 est), let you know the actuall cost.

and yes the brand has high rates for maintainance, but the point is their product(acc) life is much more than other brands(say maruti).

for eg: laura's bumoer is impact resistant whereas other manufactures provide normal plastic material bumpers.so you can well imagine the quality used and its durability.

:-)

@Gurdanish, 3500/- is the cost of synthetic oil only! You must be talking of 1st. few free services.

Other brands in the same segment are Toyota & Honda who are masters in longetivity.

Other manufacturers also provide slow speed impact resistant bumpers, so nothing new.

as i said i'm not sure of the exact cost of servicing, but it is somewhat around 3.5k, and if you compare it as an anual bill, its really nothing.

as per your reference tyota and honda have similar servicing cost, keeping in mind they deal in petrol engines only(especially honda)!

whereas laura's sales are 99% diesle, so you can copare it yourself which cuts more in your pocket a honda or skoda?

and yes the service was his second, so probably it didn't cost him much, but still i think considering it to be a diesle its nothing as an anaual bill!

Well, I guess all of us agree that Skoda makes reliable cars. But why do we forget cost of spare parts? What if something breaks and needs to be replaced?

We are discussing Skoda launching a cheap car. Repair costs are definitely to be considered.

@jupiter- here the point of durability comes, if they offer a reliable and durable product it means it will last for much longer time.

viz- you buy a good quality stuff that lasts 3 years and cost you 300 bucks whereas somebody else buy same thing but of cheaper quality for 150 or lets say 100 bucks and lst for one year......at the end of 3 years, what will be the total cost?

quality does matter dude!and it bears realitively higher cost over average material....!

I totally agree with jupiter.. The thread is about Small cars within 4 lacs range...In Small car segment, Mileage, Low maintenance costs and resale values are the keys of success...All of us know very well that MSIL holds these keys very well... IMO, Skoda may be a quality car maker... But at such high prices, the  degree of quality is a must and nothing is there to appriciate Skoda. Say, would you expect ABS or 8 speaker music sys in a 4.5 lac car?? but it should be there in a 14 lac car... So, Skoda is not doing special things....

but it is somewhat around 3.5k' date=' and if you compare it as an anual bill, its really nothing.

as per your reference tyota and honda have similar servicing cost, keeping in mind they deal in petrol engines only(especially honda)!

whereas laura's sales are 99% diesle, so you can copare it yourself which cuts more in your pocket a honda or skoda?

and yes the service was his second, so probably it didn't cost him much, but still i think considering it to be a diesle its nothing as an anaual bill![/quote']

Are you out of your mind, 3500/- annually! Its for just Octavias oil change for single service, rest is additional.

Yes Toyota & Honda deal in petrol, but who said Diesel servicing needs to be so costly, other diesels like Verna, etc. do not cost a foot & a leg.

Also, Octavia petrol costs much more to maintain than the petrol counterparts- Corolla & Civic.

& Laura does not come in petrol avatar. Please do proper research before posting!

Also use proper words in your posts & check before posting. Use capital letters where needed. There are plenty of errors in your posts.

@Krace, you are right buddy.

speed2008-09-15 18:51:46

@speed-dude, where in the world do you live where maintainance of diesel is less compared to petrol?

Diesel is always heavier on pocket as far as maintainance is concerned, and that is the reason why people recommend you to buy a diesel powered car only if you are covering minimum of 50km daily!

so please update your knowledge first before commenting!

back to the topic, seems you have taken 3500 as the exact amount, anyways the exact cost came out to be Rs4670.

still i feel its not much on annual basis!

@speed- i think we are here to discuss on the topics so that people are benefited from the reviews we all share on the forum rather than pointing out english writing mistakes, we are not in any english class or something like that.what is more important is to express our views on the topics.

so its better that you stick to posting your views rather than commenting disrespectful remarks!

i agree with you sgiitk, but diesel engines are "ALMOST" equivalent to maintaining a petrol engine.there is some difference between the two and i guess its the cost of maintainance!

correct me if i'm wrong.

@Gurdanish, what world are you talking about, slightly higher cost is ok,but is 5 times alright for you, you need to update your knowledge & get your facts right 1st. , go through old threads & then comment.

& 3-4000/- is not annual service cost dude, its for single service oil change only. People who clock high mileages on Diesel, need servicing ample of times in a year. Please comment after thoughtful interpretation.

Please read forum rules & regulations properly, good use of language & words, makes ones post legible to be read by others, there's nothing bad in it.

As A NEW member, you must adhere to rules.

& Sgiitk sir is extremely right & the members he's quoted are forum bosses, so I think it answers to all your imaginations are provided.

My intention is not to prolong this, but a new member is unnecessarily being adamant on his unfounded views. Many senior members have tried to clear his doubts, but he would not listen , anyway Im counting myself out of this.

Well even i say that u need to get car serviced after 10k ( acc to u ) so that means a guy who drives 10k in 3 months will get it serviced once in an year ?

I don't agree , company says a lot but clocking 10k in 4-6 months is not a very big thing . so for example u clock 20k in an year , so u need to get it serviced 2 times in an year . So it is heavy to the pocket and forget about spares , they aren't cheap either .

Typical service intervals is say, 10,000km. Then if you drive more than 10,000 per annum you will need more than one service a year. If you drive less than 10,000km per annum (as I do on either of my cars, totting up about 14,000pa combined) then still go in for service once a year. engine oil and filter should be changed once a year, coolant and brake fluid once in two years irrespective of the fact that you do less than the recommended distance for change. One has to take an intelligent decision as to where distance and where time comes in. It is true that petrol engines are more tolerant to abuse in terms of servicing than diesels!

As for almost equal, if the cost variation is say 30% between the average user, than I will ignore a 10% difference in average cost.

i agree with you sgiitk' date=' but diesel engines are "ALMOST" equivalent to maintaining a petrol engine.there is some difference between the two and i guess its the cost of maintainance!

correct me if i'm wrong.[/quote']

I am afraid you have picked the word out of context. Almost equal means petrol and diesel versions of the same vehicle (say, Swift Diesel or Petrol) cost about the same to maintain. On the other hand variations across different models or brands can be huge.

well the maintainance is not exactly same to same between petrol and diesel variants of a car....for example the fuel filter of swift petrol is below 200 while that swift diesel is close to 400,though am not saying diesel's are really high on maintainance but i agree with gurdanish that there is difference in maintainance( maybe just 20 %) costs of petrol and diesel variants of a car !!! 

Members have already covered nearly all the aspects on this topic. I think that  selling a 'cheap car' in India is no joke. The target customer will expect a low price, fuel economy, low cost of service and maintenance, easily accessible service stations etc. Also a cheap car will have to be volume seller.

So far Skoda has failed on all these aspects, apart from fuel economy on their diesel cars. Their pathetic show on Fabia does not generate any confidence in the prospective customers to buy their products.

So I would say "1000 gaadi per month Fabia to biki nahi, ab Mungeri Lal ne aur haseen sapne bhi dekh liye'.