Hi,

In my ZEN, i am having a genuine Pioneer deck and earlier used to had Pioneer speakers and now Sony Xplod speakers. But every 2-3 months I have to change the speakers as they go bad. I wonder why is that as i buy them from dealer and those are genuine ones.

Help me have a proper one. I end up spending 5-6 K every 2-3 months on speakers itself. smiley5.gif

ya...this seems to be a very peculiar problem...better get it checked by authorised workshop...and remember this fact-If the power output of the head unit is greater than that of the speakers then the speakers will be dead very soon...Inferior quality ones will produce less power than head units

This is present in my Xplod manual....

I use it extensively if u go by hours then approx 6-7 hrs / day and on weekends 16-18 hrs when going out of town. I went to authorized workshop they replace it since it has got 1 yr replacement warrenty but 1 year is nearing and these last ones are not so in a good shape. I am thinking of JBL now, please suggest

Well, to clear up a few things...

""""""""-If the power output of the head unit is greater than that of the speakers then the speakers will be dead very soon...""""""

This is not true.... ( on a wholistic sense )

None of the pioneer HU's give more than 30wrms@4ohms x 4 ch ....

meaning 30wrms to one channel @ 4 ohm impedence...

and none of 6 x 9's available in the market have a power handling below 40wrms.....

What hurts and harms speakers is distortion, feeding then freq's they are not designed to handle , and over excursion ( meaning the cone travelling beyond its mechanical limits, this detaches the voice coil former from the cone and your speaker dies )

or there may be some wiring problem where in the wires short and burns the voice coils...

A few things can be done here...

1 - enclose the 6x9 's from the rear to control their excursion.

2 - Use HPF's ( high pass filters on the pioneer HU to cut out freq's lower than 50Hz, no 6x9's can handle freq lower than 50Hz those are exlusively meant for the subwoofer to handle.

3- If its on on the HU use external HPF's available in the market.

4- Use the equaliser on the HU in a responsible way, EQ's are not meant to boost frequencies, they are meant to cut out unwanted frequencies, and to get a flatter response curve...

5- check the entire length of wiring and assure its integrity.

(Do u have those 6x9's in a ported box in the ZEN, if thats the case... they are surely going below the PTF (port tuning frequencies and unloading due to over excursion)

Also to clear this up...

""""".Inferior quality ones will produce less power than head units

""""""

Well, get this clear....

Power ratings on HU's and AMP's is its ability to produce power

and

Power rating on speakers and subs is its ability to handle power...

Any speaker can technically perform at its best if supplied +/- 33% power than its handling capacity..

meaning a speaker rated at 50wrms can perform best in the range of 33wrms to 66wrms... ofcourse depending on the kind of enclosure they are in... free air speakers or subs do not need too much power to reach its excursion limits...

In Our audio world, it is a well known fact a speakers usually dies of underpowering, clipping and distortion.... rather than giving it more power...

It is generally nice to give enough juice to a speaker for it to perform clean....

Hope this helps..

"In Car audio, 10% is product selection and 90% is installation"

Hope this helps...

You end up spending 5-6k every month on speakers that are replaced under warranty? Amazing! Also as you use your car approximately 50 hours a week how often do you change engine oil? Every 1.5 months?

You end up spending 5-6k every month on speakers that are replaced under warranty? Amazing! Also as you use your car approximately 50 hours a week how often do you change engine oil? Every 1.5 months?

My dealer in Navi mumbai replaces the speakers free of cost.

Im using 3 different brands

Alpine

Sony

JVC

The last time I bought any ICE was about 4 yrs back...so, Im a bit puzzled by the problems faced by asheesh...probably the setup isnt right or someone is mishandling your equipment or you're being sold duplicate stuff!

My speakers are on their seventh year now without any problems. Asheesh your problem sounds weird to me. A speaker will not fail within 3 months unless there is something wrong with the installation or the speakers are fake. Get the speakers replaced free of cost and then try some other good installer to check your entire setup.

Asheesh: is ur car rat and water proof? Rats tend to eat things and they somehow like speaker material and water/ vapour tends to corrode the contact points... in all I suggest that when you are spending soo much, spend just a little more and get:

1.Proper lining for the floor and panels

2.Silica get pouches: put them in the body cavity where your speakers go in.

Silica gel helps in keeping the humidity created inside the body cavity whilst using the AC under control.

I had this problem in my Maruti; but when I got the JVC system, got the entire floor and side panels lined up with a material similar to the dynamat you see on TV shows...its working fine since 2001

My Fiat also has an older JVC unit (handed down from the Maruti), have got decent lining done on this as well...

Both these cars use Sony Xplod speakers working fine since 2001.

My city has the standard Alpine head unit and got the stock Honda speakers replaced with original Alpine X series which I brought from Singapore in 2004.
Kinshuk2008-09-11 14:09:20

this might be the fault in the wiring of your audio system....my 6 year old speakers were the victims when the wiring had developed a bit of snags.i think its better to use head unit and speaker of the same company cause they are compatible with each other !!!