Durango Dude

What's it with BMW's ????

I think the Beemer's in India have become the most popular 'hit and run' car's....

Thursday,September11,2008

BMW hits bike, 2 critically hurt

Anuj Singh and Mrigank Srivastav, both in their mid-twenties, were on their Pulsar bike when the BMW car hit them at around 3 a.m. near the Moolchand flyover in New Delhi

Simply the image. the more staid driver prefers the three pointed star while the younger (macho!) set prefers the Propeller.

Unfortunately, our law enforcement is a joke. I would challenge the bosses that be to put the traffic constables to a test on road laws - 90% will fail. May be the bosses can also take the test!

Generally cars (not specific to BMW) are driven fast that too by young people and late night or early morning means drunk.

There are not many sportier cheaper luxury segment cars in India so BMW is generally the one.

Expect A4 in news sometime in near future who knows

On the road everyone has to show that my car is faster than yours.... people get into arguments bacause of this.....I think we indians suffer from this syndrome...thats called ....mine is bigger than yours......smiley21.gif ...this syndrom kicks in every time we get behind the wheel ...and boy it kicks in harder if we have a girl sitting next to us.......smiley24.gif

I just have this to say - With power comes great responsibility.

Drivers are not used to this kind of power and rear wheel drive cars and they let adrenaline get the best of them.

And this is exactly the reason why I think driver training programmes should be seriously considered by these manufacturers to keep such incidents to a minimum.

FRG

on same lines there was a presentaion / news on Star News yesterday evening.

The presentor portraied the BMW as a killer machine..

Reasons he gave-

1. Showed the powerful engine (said it can go from 0 to 100 in 8.5 s)

2. showed the inside. said for the occupants there are airbags all around in the car..explained that in the nanda bmw case both the airbags were opened hence the occuants survived.. intention was to say that "BMW" has all sorts of things in terms of saving its occupants but not the pedestrians.

3. he said based on the safety ratings for occupants it 4 or 5 star for BMW but when it comes to pedestrian safety it gets 2 stars...

I was furious when I saw this.. common the BMW doesn't go on the road on its own and kill people its the ***** behind the wheel who is responsible...

BMWs involved in accidents is just a coincedence...in that case they should find out how many trucks, and SUVs are involved in hit and run..they just ignore them...

Unfortunately BMW's name is getting sullied because of irresponsible young adults with lots of money with no respect for others, sitting intoxicated behind the wheels. This will keep happening in our country till the law is enforced more strictly.

why doesn't someone do a count of how many sumos killed Indians? I think the honour would definitely go to TATA motors. it's just better news to report a BMW in an accident - you know, rich vs poor, etc. and how do we know it was the BMW driver's fault in all cases? these guys were on a bike, and a BMW hit them. so does that mean the BMW driver was at fault? why do we assume that? because they're young and wealthy? maybe the BMW was at fault, maybe not. we cannot come to any conclusions without more details. else we're no better than the mob that lynches the driver of the car who hits the pedestrian just because he has a car - even though the pedestrian may be blind drunk, jaywalking, and bent on crossing the road at the very last second...diablo379892008-09-12 15:53:28

Whatever the scenario of an accident be, rich guy with a big car is always blamed. News channels are showing *****ic stuff, there are so many cheaper cars in India other than BMW's which do 0-100 in under 10secs. Corolla, Civic, Accord, etc. , to name a few.

How right are the people sleeping on pavements , even if one gets a glare from headlight of an opposite approaching car, it sometimes becomes impossible to see in front & car can go anywhere out of control. The people who drive expensive cars are more careful rather, to save car from undue heavy expenses.

I have always witnessed pedestrians breaking  & disobeying  traffic rules more than four wheelers & their shear no. is a pain to save one's car from bumps & scratches.

I fail to understand as to why this Hungama all over the media and on this forum due to a accident involving a particular brand of car. I think on an average more than 1 person gets killed daily in Delhi alone by our 'famous' Blue Line buses. All other accidents put together in NCR will amount to more than 2 deaths per day, but that has now become a statistics.

BMW is an excellent car which begs to be driven hard. It is because we Indians in India dont know how to handle speed, dont observe any traffic laws, tend to show off and are always in a tearing hurry, such accidents happen. And why blame the car driver alone. Anybody who has seen the zigzag driving of bikers in NCR will understand that they are also the biggest cause of accidents.

I also ditto the views expresses by sgiitk, viveksonkhla, FRG and speed on this topic.

Accidents caused by high end cars get the most nationwide publicity and so BMW must be in the news even if it injures someone. The media sensationalises such accidents, whereas an accident involving say a Maruti 800 or Hyundai Accent or Santro (also with drunk drivers) may not click in the national media but only get local and regional publicity.

why doesn't someone do a count of how many sumos killed Indians? I think the honour would definitely go to TATA motors. it's just better news to report a BMW in an accident - you know' date=' rich vs poor, etc. and how do we know it was the BMW driver's fault in all cases? these guys were on a bike, and a BMW hit them. so does that mean the BMW driver was at fault? why do we assume that? because they're young and wealthy? maybe the BMW was at fault, maybe not. we cannot come to any conclusions without more details. else we're no better than the mob that lynches the driver of the car who hits the pedestrian just because he has a car - even though the pedestrian may be blind drunk, jaywalking, and bent on crossing the road at the very last second...[/quote']

Very well said diablo, unfortunately generally in an accident whoever has a bigger vehicle is the culprit and I have experienced it first hand. And the media nowadays are jobless trying to sensationalise petty things.

Regarding the last week's case of BMW hitting two bikes, some new channels saying the central locking for BMW was jammed after the impact, and the occupants has to come out by breaking the glass. Not sure if this story is true but if true, this seems to me like a serious design flaw, having the occupants stranded inside the car in case of a mishap.

These media hypes are just creating a factor of insecurity in the minds of BMW owners. As what may happen to them in case of a crash.

1. Will the media make them famous in just minutes

2. If he/she gets down out of a crashed car, would the public spare them or hit them Black and Blue. Without even knowing who's fault it was to be.

These Hit and Run cases named as BMW cases would simply Anti-brand BMW and make its potential buyers check out other much technologically advanced cars like the Audi, Volvo

i dont understand the kind of negative hype that media creates just to get the TRP ratings, suddenly they become the cops and then the judge and than announce the verdict, why is it that the bikers fault is ignored, a few days back they were saying that there were no witnesses, and now media is claiming that they discovered a few eye witnesses