fulcrum

Swift DDIS-abs or Vista Quadra

Dear Friends

I have been a silent obeserver for some time and then decided to sign on to this forum and gain positive insights hereon.

Its amazing to see lots of positive discussions from active members :)

I am in a dilema for which I need your expert valuable suggestions.

I am 6ft driving a alto for past 5 months (first car). Situations change and so now my commute will extend from mere 30kms a day to 100kms a day smiley11.gif in Pune Traffic.

I find alto lxi to be a bit tiring to driving (being a 6 feeter) on long commutes in heavy traffic conditions and ofcourse it adds to my backpain.

My Budget is 6-8 lacs and I need a extremely smart tireless hatch with peace of mind for atleast 6-7 years.

Having said that I have zeroed in Swift DDISabs and Vista Quadrajet topend.

can gurus out here help me decide what to do  and which one would last peacefully 6-7 years

Eagerly awaiting your replies

Thanks

Fulcrum

Swift is a good car with Maruti value. Vista uses the same engine fresh out in the market, lots going towards it. Boot space , seating comfort everything. If u r not in to racing types, better go for Vista, there will be days u want to relax in the rear seat and Vista will provide your that. Its AC is good, dont expect TATA service to be as good as Maruti, but TATAs are known to build least maintenance cars.

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly with your mileage (or should it be kilometreage) you have to look at Diesel only.

Both are excellent cars. At the moment Maruti has a distinct edge over Tata's in terms of reliability and build quality. But then things may change. The engine is essentially the same.

One other option (Skoda baiters' on the forum notwithstanding) would be the Fabia. It will run rings round either in terms of creature comforts,  build quality, and image. If I were you this is what I will put as numero uno.

One other option (Skoda baiters' on the forum notwithstanding) would be the Fabia. It will run rings round either in terms of creature comforts' date='  build quality, and image. If I were you this is what I will put as numero uno.
[/quote']

Thanks for the all the inputs guys,. About Fabia...imagine a wheel cover costing 2000rs.. Skoda ASS seems to be a rip off and I have read through forum Skoda ASS horror stories and many term it as a white elephant.

However, seems like both swift and vista are strong contenders with a favour biased more towards Japanese Swift DDIS build and gearbox. I am very freaky about gearshifts and like it smooth.

I drove my frnds swift vxi and boy the gear shift was particularly precise with short throws. I am waiting for vista to come over at my place for a test drive.

Guys who own vdi abs and 6 feeters, your comments on creature comforts and drivability will be highly appreciated

Again thanks for all the inputs provided.

Fulcrum

Dear Friends

I have been a silent obeserver for some time and then decided to sign on to this forum and gain positive insights hereon.

I am 6ft driving a alto for past 5 months (first car). Situations change and so now my commute will extend from mere 30kms a day to 100kms a day smiley11.gif in Pune Traffic.

I find alto lxi to be a bit tiring to driving (being a 6 feeter) on long commutes in heavy traffic conditions and ofcourse it adds to my backpain.

My Budget is 6-8 lacs and I need a extremely smart tireless hatch with peace of mind for atleast 6-7 years.

can gurus out here help me decide what to do  and which one would last peacefully 6-7 years

Thanks

Fulcrum

Welcome to the forum Fulcrum,

I am sure you will be able to benefit from the expertise of current and future forum members.

Regarding your question on what to choose from between Indica Vista and Maruti Swift  Diesel.

Essentially both the cars happen to have the same powerhouse, i.e. Fiat Multijet engines.. but since you travel a lot and considering your hight suggesting Swift to you will not be a good iption as I find swift not so comfortable in long drives, with no offence to Swift fans but Swift sucks when it comes to long drives, I learnt it hard way when I had to dricve the car for entire day on NH 1. Had t orest my back for one full day when came back home.

Indica on the other hand is much more comfortable in long run...

Now it boils down to which brand you prefer..... if you like Tata.....go for indica...if you like maruti go for Swift.....

Remember....its not about you have to drive a car.....its about you want to drive a car.

All the best

Cheers.

hi! and welcome to the forum.

considering your requirements, vista sounds to be the right choice.

Firstly, it is more spacious and the top end model comes with seat and steering height adjust. so, it will not be difficult to find the perfect driving position.

moreover, it costs much below swift and will be lighter on pocket in maintenance too in the long run. it is a fresher design and the interiors are and feel quite spacious compared to swift. the ride quality is good too.

i will anyday suggest you to go for the vista.

Thanks viveksonkhla  for your inputs..

This is where it gets confusing...

Somesay Swift for the rush it provides along with the mileage both in city and highway

Somesay Vista with the sedate 1.3 Mjd which is good city performer with sub-optimum highway performance .

smiley33.gif Damn.. I am so spoilt by the choices present...

Thanks viveksonkhla  for your inputs..

This is where it gets confusing...

Somesay Swift for the rush it provides along with the mileage both in city and highway

Somesay Vista with the sedate 1.3 Mjd which is good city performer with sub-optimum highway performance .

smiley33.gif Damn.. I am so spoilt by the choices present...

Ok ....I will make your life simple.....go ..sit inside the car...and see which car makes you feel good.....and makes you want to drive more than the other .....Dont look into the technicals and figures....they are always one up from the other.......

Every car is made of metal....so chose the one that has more of what you want your car to do for you....and the rest is compromise....

About Fabia...imagine a wheel cover costing 2000rs.. Skoda ASS seems to be a rip off and I have read through forum Skoda ASS horror stories and many term it as a white elephant.

May I ask when did you last change a wheel cap? I do not remember at all - maybe a decade ago. I would disagree about the white elephant - once you go out of the Indian built Maruti/Tata/Hyundai stable all spares are very expensive. Even spares for the non indigenous Maruti/Hyundai cars are the same. My own experience is that unless you prang it or are unlucky for five years or 50,000+km you need only the routine consumables with any modern car.

Maruti and Tata are the cheapest to maintain of the lot. I replaced the rear windshield of my car (Indigo) for 4000Rs.

If u r looking for maintenance there is no competition to Tata and MAruti,

Maruti if take proper car (Servicing etc) you may need to spend max 4-5 K / year thats it

Tata is still better, cheaper and cheaper.

i would suggest u to bjy swift ddis because simply maruti is simply far more reliable and easy to maintain than tata indica....though its a new car but i still cant really trust tata...simply go for swift to have a trouble free expeirience !!!!

Welcome fulcrum to the forum,

The question you have is quite interesting and there will be suggestions which go on and on and on.. foremost thing, driving a Petrol car is quite different than driving a Diesel! and when you say diesel,Maruti's track record is nothing to talk about. Coming to the  TATAs , well experienced in this field

and most diesels which run in India are TATA.

I have been driving a TATA Indica Turbo for close to 3 years now and till date i never had any issues with it.

I find it really surpirsing when people talk about TATA service and stuff. Believe me the service i got from Concorde motors in Bangalore was very good. I dont know what extra service we get from other car manufacturers..

When i go for service, i see that all my issues are addressed with a smile and the car is good! thats more than what i ask for!

Coming to the comparison,

Swift : Low all round visibility, costs more, rear leg room is minimal, boot does not fit more than 2 suitcases, Tacky interiors, Seating height cannot be adjusted, no rear defogger, no music system, Maruti does not have good track record for diesels, its a 3 year old car now (Looks wise)

Vista : Clear all round visibility for city driving, costs less than swift, Awesome room(More Car Per Car), Boot is bigger,Interiors are beige and plastic used is better and looks neat, rear defogger, wiper, 2 din music system, 4 speakers, comfortable drive, Brand new engine(Quadrajet), 4 door power windows,TATA reliability, brand new car!!!

I can still go on and on about the VISTA about the drive, but i think this is enough to make a right decision!

Dear Friends

My Budget is6-8 lacs  and I need a extremely smart tireless hatch with peace of mind for atleast 6-7 years.

Thanks

Fulcrum

Helllo fulcrum,yes right there is no doubt that in alto one can easily get tired....so in the choice of Indica vista &Swift DDis i will suggest u the MS Swift DDiS its really a great car ...n as i always say maruti badge is bonus!which means excellent service!......new inca is also great but not too good as swift!.....n if u have so much good budget of 6-8 lacs  n u need a comfortable diesel why dont u take look at other bigger hatches??..like fabia,getz,fusion??smiley17.gif

Comparing the features, engine, room, cost and build VISTA is still a distant winner!

Swift lovers cant see these??? I dont want to be judgemental but i dont understand on what grounds does a Swift overtake the new VISTA, Can anyone help me understand???

I agree that swift is a better car in the petrol version but diesels??

More than 3 year old is OLD, looking @ the car market as of now!! 1 or 2 years more Swift will be revamped!
sharash2008-09-12 11:07:03

welcome to ACI forum fulcrum!

well looking at your daily mielage A)go for diesle

and B)your height, you might face some problwm in swift.it is fun to drive but it is cramped than it appears to be.

whereas vista is more comfy and spacious by any means.

but still i would suggest you to sit and drive these cars, as you can better judge your confort level than any body else.

on the other hand, with your kind of budget, open up your options for FABIA also, it is a good car and really good to drive.it is more stable than swift and more spacious than vista.

regarding its Accesories being expensive,lemme tell you skoda is knows for its build quality and durability.so as far as servicing is concerned, fabia's fista official service is due after 10000 kms whereas swift is called for its first service as it clocks 3000kms.

still, drive the cars and let us know your choice too!

I replaced the rear windshield of my car (Indigo) for 4000Rs.

I may say you got ripped off. I got the front windscreen of my Accent replaced (labour and all) for Rs.3100. Only I went to an independent.

I wouldnt agree that Vista is a better looking car overall!!! The front does look awesome. But i dunno wht the designers were smoking while designing the same old christmas tree taillamps. Why doesnt Tata get over it. Vista wins for space, VFM . Swift wins - ABS and better handling IMO!! But i would still go for the Swift any day !!! If you need space go for Vista!

Fulcrum,

Between the Swift and the Vista looking at your height and probable family consideration the Vista has more space.

So you see it this way, you get more space with the same engine and Fresh looks thrown in as bonus.

The Vista is definetely broaded with more rear comfort and rear boot space than the Swift, the only positive I think on the swift is the Handling. But come on I don't think you will race every day?

swift is better over vista only at sharp turns and corners, otherwise vista is better in handling department and more stable too.

vista is full of features (i not sure if tata are giving an ABS option aswell?)

anyhow, vista is new and has recieved good reviews from experts!

thanks for all the comments dear friends..

just returned a while from vista quadra testdrive

Here are my 2 cents..

The car is spacious and the seats are firm and accomodate the occupants well no doubt. I had to  crank the engine twice to get it started.(maybe alto spoiled me with a short crank). The diesel clatter of yesteryears is not noticeable :).

Since the height of the driver seat was mid way heightwise, there was merely a three fingerwidth distance from the roof and i had to lower down the seat.(good point for the height adjuster) but the lever intrudes when egressing the car. Interiors are pretty bright and spacious.

I had a tough time judging the front portion of the vehicle due to high dashboard (negative for me).

gears shift were notchy and nothing to write home about.. altos is better

anyday. While on the road, felt like a boat when accelerating and cornering and felt handling could be much better anyday. I mean it wasnt predictable. seemed to go like a slow motion. i mean it might get better as u drive it more often as u get used to it. past 2k rpm in traffic felt it would loose control if a driver wasnt careful :D. the test car had 1000kms added. The car sure is heavy and it does show when taking ride over potholes and doesnt like changing directions often

i also heard that the car was recalled to TML factory for some retrofitting or something like that thats why the delay in delivering the vehicles.

all in all a good vfm package and a sedate car but have to get used to the size of the car. i am sure post 1 yr this car will have all the niggles ironed out

the diff between quadra top end and ddis abs is mere 34k in pune.

since i tded the vehicle for mere 5kms only, these are my thoughts first hand.

maybe my last choice

so this sunday it will be a ddis to TD

it sure is going to be tough call

thanks to all