my uncle in kerela wants to buy a plush comfortable 4x4 jeep in a budget of 10-12 lakhs. the reason being he wants to take this vehicle to his farmhouse and plantations. now his priorites are comfortable cabin, above average performance, good image and nil maintainence.

as far as i know, he is not an automobile freak and not too much into car maintainence. so the vehicle should be very reliable.

he will drive the vehicle himself. i had suggested him the bolero 4x4. he test drove it and was happy. but along with it, he also test drove the scorpio 2.6 and safari 2.2. both are available in 4x4.

now, he does not want a hardcore offroader like the gypsy or gurkha. he wants all creature comforts along with a bit of off roading capability.

i being a mahindra owner myself suggested him the bolero as i think it is better off-road than the scorpio or safari. but he likes the scorpio and safari more than the bolero which is understandable! interestingly, after driving my mHawk, he liked the 2.6 CRDe more than the mHawk! so its not an issue whether the 2.2 scorpio is available with 4x4 or not, he is inclined towards the scorpio 2.6 4x4 or safari 2.2 4x4 whereas i suggest the bolero 4x4.

your suggestions?
raj_50042008-09-16 19:00:35

Scorpio 4x4 would do best offroading compared to Safari & Bolero & its comfortable also. Bolero is terribly underpowered & uncontemporary.

If he can stretch his budget by 3-4L, Endeavour will be ultimate choice.

Scorpio with its small wheelbase & less bulk + Mahindras expertise in offroading will prove to be the best choice otherwise. Scorpio can also pass off as a jeep!

speed2008-09-17 08:29:20

@Deepak he wants off-roader but not like Gypsy and gurkha as mentioned by raj...

Raj, does Scorpio has 4*4 with 2.6crde...

i would recommend Safari..

Bolero is priced low and as the budget is high Safari and Scorpio are recommendable..

SELL THE FARMHOUSE AND BUY A BMW X-5

my uncle in kerela wants to buy a plush comfortable 4x4 jeep in a budget of 10-12 lakhs. the reason being he wants to take this vehicle to his farmhouse and plantations. now his priorites are comfortable cabin' date=' above average performance, good image and nil maintainence.

as far as i know, he is not an automobile freak and not too much into car maintainence. so the vehicle should be very reliable.

he will drive the vehicle himself. i had suggested him the bolero 4x4. he test drove it and was happy. but along with it, he also test drove the scorpio 2.6 and safari 2.2. both are available in 4x4.

now, he does not want a hardcore offroader like the gypsy or gurkha. he wants all creature comforts along with a bit of off roading capability.

i being a mahindra owner myself suggested him the bolero as i think it is better off-road than the scorpio or safari. but he likes the scorpio and safari more than the bolero which is understandable! interestingly, after driving my mHawk, he liked the 2.6 CRDe more than the mHawk! so its not an issue whether the 2.2 scorpio is available with 4x4 or not, he is inclined towards the scorpio 2.6 4x4 or safari 2.2 4x4 whereas i suggest the bolero 4x4.

your suggestions?
[/quote']

@ archit: no idea buddy, i have done only moderate off roading in my vehicle.

@ deepak: the innova is no option buddy as he wants a "jeep" with good ground clearance.

@ speed: no buddy, i dont think he can stretch his budget.

@ sapphire: yes buddy, it has a 4x4 available.

@ darxide: not a good option bro! LOL!

i had suggested the bolero 4x4 since i had heard that it is a good off roader and is better than the scorpio and safari. its machankicals are comparitively basic with leaf spring and all and its light weight also helps.

but yes, it is not as comfortable as a scorpio or safari.

my uncle in kerela wants to buy a plush comfortable 4x4 jeep in a budget of 10-12 lakhs. the reason being he wants to take this vehicle to his farmhouse and plantations. now his priorites are comfortable cabin' date=' above average performance, good image and nil maintainence.

your suggestions?
[/quote'] hello raj buddy!smiley1.gif i will suggest the Scorpio 4X4...because u already own one ..so u have experience of owning a Mahindra scorpio..(n u r proud owner too!)..so i think it will be good idea to have another car which u r alredy familiar with!....err..!!i cant actually say anything about bolero..its getting too old with a bit boxy looks!...Safari is another good option...but still i think not good as Scorpio!....n is ur uncle intrested in 2nd hand??...if yes then why dont he try the used Pajero!!its real off roader!!smiley17.gif...vibhor2008-09-17 13:38:50

i saw a Bolero with some good alloys and other classy accessories and was looking too good..just like an expensive Off-roader..actually i have seen 3-4 of them and i was impressed..but its not comfortable, and interiors are bad...

one can easily improve the looks of Bolero or any other car by doing little mods....but the main thing is the lack of the features and comfort level which i dont think can be good as Scorpio, safari or other car!

no man not any car...some cars have looks to be modified while some are not..by seeing that Bolero i can say that no scorpio or safari can look like that...coz it was looking different as an expensive off-roader...much expensive..!!!

The Bolero 4 X 4 is a very good offroader. My experience with it has been very good since 2001. The new one with the Peugeot XD3P engine (2498cc) should be the best. Though its not as good as the MM540DP softtop, which is better, but not at all cosy for the occupants. The Gypsy is excellent but rare comfort if any, lies only in the front two seats. The backseat occupants are tossed in all directions while offroading.

OFF TOPIC   Better than the 540DP was the CJ500D 4x4 with the MDI 2350cc International engine. Was so crude that  the engine  did not require a battery to run. So its no laughing matter that if one jump starts this jeep with an additional battery to prop up the affixed weak battery, the jeep starts. Take off the additional battery and the jeep moves sans the horn, lights and of course the heater for a cold engine. I don't think any motor vehicle can parallel the CJ500D's battery less, runs as far as this feat is concerned.The 540DP's rotary fuel pump is electrical and it always needs a good battery.

The Hurricane engined petrol powered Mahindra/Jeep CJ4A, with which I learnt driving was even better for offroading than the CJ500D.The best of all however was the Willys/ Jeep CJ3B which I also drove a lot.This is the toughest workhorse of all. Its chassis is shorter than the extended chassis CJ4A.

So finally for offroading no. 1 is CJ3B, no. 2 CJ4A, no. 3 CJ500D, no. 4 540 DP and no. 5 the Bolero (all with 4x4). So as the interior comfort increases, the 4X4 capability decreases. The Gypsy can be placed somewhere in the CJ3B class, namely the best but the most uncomfortable.

Sorry for going offtopic friends, but I felt I should add my personal encounters with these offroaders for thousands of kms.

Back to the topic Raj either the Bolero 4x4 with the XD3P (not DI) engine or the Ingenio which should also prove to be worthy of the Mahindra marque, should suit your needs.

hi vibhor, i do have a scorpio but its not 4x4. i have no idea how a 4x4 scorpio performs except the fact that i have seen some amazing pics and videos of the mahindra great escapre challenge! i think i know that mahindras are known for their off roading capability. how the scorpio fares is a question mark considering the new age electronics even the CRDe comes fitted with. can it withstand abuse mahindras are known for? bolero is basic in comparison and can handle rough or no roads better is what i feel.

but still i am confused. hence the question.

hey anjan' date=' ingenio is not yet launched! and isnt it a MUV like the innova rather than an SUV? so i feel it will not have a good GC.[/quote']

Yes indeed its GC is low. I have taken pics of Ingenios in Mumbai and have seen them. The GC is lesser than a Scorpio.

The Bolero should be your final choice then.

Bolero though is an alright vehicle, but I would not recommend it to someone who is scouting 10-12L range. To say the least , its the crudest , slowest, uncontemporary vehicle, interiors are a big letdown, ergonomics are poor, rear seats do not fold or flip, 0-100 is pathetic.

Positives are good suspension & AC.

Scorpio in whichever engine with 4x4 would serve the best.

There was also news that Bolero would be getting a new 100bhp CRDI engine , another variant will have an electric motor mated to Diesel.

Count out Innova & Ingenio, both are hardcore MUV's.

hi vibhor' date=' i do have a scorpio but its not 4x4. i have no idea how a 4x4 scorpio performs except the fact that i have seen some amazing pics and videos of the mahindra great escapre challenge! i think i know that mahindras are known for their off roading capability. how the scorpio fares is a question mark considering the new age electronics even the CRDe comes fitted with. can it withstand abuse mahindras are known for? bolero is basic in comparison and can handle rough or no roads better is what i feel.

but still i am confused. hence the question.
[/quote'] i will suggest the scorpio only!....

....so which one u have decided??smiley17.gif

its called 'Front Guard'......btw what was the color of that bolero?
hmm am late..its was white(new one with new lights and was i think pearl white)looked good and another was black and also one of my friend owned silver..that was really cool..

ok guys, he will most probably opt for the scorpio. he also has a look at the getaway 4x4 but was not impressed with the rear seat comfort. he says it more of a lifestyle vehicle with a compromise on practicality.