saurabhg10

Cheverolet SRV : GO or NO-GO ?

Cheverolet SRV is one of most fabulous looking cars in its catergory (what is that? a premium hatchbatck?).

And it is selling at a discount of more that 65K right now. The funny thing is Chevy is not really advertising this smiley3.gif

Now I really love the car but have a few questions:

1. Is it a good buy at about 7.4 L ?

2. Is the SRV being phased out?

3. How is the availability of spares and cost of servicing?

4. Is the lack of ABS a serious problem?

5. A frequently highlighted problem is that the gearbox is not good, is that true? what is the problem?

6. Why should one buy the Car? Why should one not buy the Car? (The good, the bad and the ugly)

I understand the buying decision is a very personal one but a few pointers would be great.

Anyone who could provide reliable answers to the above is welcome.

cheers!

The car sure looks great....from the inside to the outside....but I think its severly underpowered for the looks that it carries.....its based on the Chevrolet Optra, from head to toe and from front to back. Its exactly the same, except for the fact that the boot has been chopped off. In effect, its almost like somebody rammed the Optra from behind and the SRV was born...........

"1. Is it a good buy at about 7.4 L ?"

well car are not about re-sale it is abt the pleasure it gives u , if u think u really love the car then go for it

"2. Is the SRV being phased out?"

dunno , but i think they are made to order or something

"3. How is the availability of spares and cost of servicing?"

well u will get an 3 year warrently of spare parts so i don't think service might be a problem

"4. Is the lack of ABS a serious problem?"

on an 1.6 beast that roars yes if u drive on wet roads too much or u drive fast and need break hard . though the breaking is nopt that bad without ABS 

"5. A frequently highlighted problem is that the gearbox is not good, is that true? what is the problem?"

well its too slow for a car this fast

"6. Why should one buy the Car? Why should one not buy the Car? (The good, the bad and the ugly)"

the car looks cool according to me , but for me its bad on FE

why should one buy it , well because its fast smiley4.gif and it gives u that rally car feeling according to me

Saurabh, I gotta agree its one looker . Its surely got the looks . But interiors are not upto the mark for a 7.5l+ , No diesel !! 1.6 Petrol is not very peppy.  GM a.s.s. is known to everyone. Expect poor resale to. No news of phasing out but looking at sales of SRV if they dont do a facelift i don see it for too long on our roads. Lack of ABS should nt be a big issue.

Final comment : you should buy the car if you are gaga about it and are ready

to forget the resale . I can understand that you are quite keen to buy this one but if you are ready to sacrifice the big list of negatives go for it blindly.

And it is selling at a discount of more that 65K right now

1. Is it a good buy at about 7.4 L ?

2. Is the SRV being phased out?

3. How is the availability of spares and cost of servicing?

4. Is the lack of ABS a serious problem?

5. A frequently highlighted problem is that the gearbox is not good' date=' is that true? what is the problem?

6. Why should one buy the Car? Why should one not buy the Car? (The good, the bad and the ugly)[/quote']

Going by the sales, discount should be in the tune of 1.5L & yes its a premium hatch.

1. 7.4L, I don't think so, 6-6.5L is digestible.

2. Could be phased out due to lack of sales or a diesel under the hood from    Optra could prolong the agony!

3. Chevy. warranty would take care of spares & servicing.

4. 1.6 is not a very sprightly engine, lack of ABS should not bother.

5. Do not remember, will have to TD again.

6. Buy- choice & looks, Not- rest everything!

see its got gorgeous looks as everybody says with good interior space and comfort.The car is not a bad drivers car but its not as sporty as it looks in the driving department so keeping that in mind we can say that it doesn't give ypu driving pleasure.The service without doubt would not be a problem.The resale would not fetch you much though.About it being phased out there is no news and apparently i heard that GM produces it on orders but according to me i dont think they would phase out it.At 7.4lakhs its not at all a bad choice since it makes sense as a stylish city hatch and dont forget it makes a statment especially in that electric blue colour with alfaromeo like rearlights!!!so according to me go for it!!

The SRV lacks the USP for the price. Its sales are poor.Resale may be a great problem. Buying for 7.4L and it may resale for 2 to 3L after 3-4 years of use. Even the Optra depreciates fast.

The car is just fine that way. One of my friends owns it at Mumbai. I've been driven around in this car. It has the big car feel when on the move and has sporty looks.Feels solid and better built too. Its AC is excellent.

But the poor sales, resale factor and availability of spares in future are all debatable.

The only redeeming feature of the Chevy-SRV is it's a rare sight, so <ahem> exclusive. It was phased out on launch itself by Chevy, coz they priced it all wrong. Resale value will be a problem. ABS has saved me in many situations. It helps the car track straight and come to a halt with least bit of drama. Now I may not be that lucky if I drive a car without ABS: go for a car with ABS if you have a choice and also that with 4 wheel dics brakes. Spares and service will be a problem. SRV is even a rarer sight than the Elantra<which I have> and that's saying something. With the Chevy Cruze due for launch who know's the SRV may be given the axe. I don't think it sells even a single piece a month. My advice: Stay away from the SRV. Go for the Optra Magnum instead.

The SRV is all SHOW with NO GO! But I think you are really not bothered about the power as you have not mentioned it anywhere. If you think with your heart, buy it, but with your head, its a no.

My advice stay away from it!

yeah, resale value is very poor. Optra s of 2004 to 2005 are available at 4 lacs here in chennai. SRVs are not even seen in roads here. I've seen only one till now in chennai roads.. Please dont go for it. If u r so much interested. Go for an used SRV. Used optra will also be a better deal. If u r willing to spend 7.5 lacs, there are more better options available..

Cheverolet SRV is one of most fabulous looking cars in its catergory (what is that? a premium hatchbatck?).And it is selling at a discount of more that 65K right now. The funny thing is Chevy is not really advertising this smiley3.gifNow I really love the car but have a few questions:1. Is it a good buy at about 7.4 L ?2. Is the SRV being phased out?3. How is the availability of spares and cost of servicing?4. Is the lack of ABS a serious problem?5. A frequently highlighted problem is that the gearbox is not good' date=' is that true? what is the problem?6. Why should one buy the Car? Why should one not buy the Car? (The good, the bad and the ugly)I understand the buying decision is a very personal one but a few pointers would be great.Anyone who could provide reliable answers to the above is welcome.cheers!

[/quote']

SRV was launched as a sports hatch with premium image and of course, price. at that time, it did not have any buyers as it is just show with no go and a very high price tag, in which, you can buy a proper sedan. the gearbox is notchy and shfting gears is not a joy at all. there are very few owners of SRV and hence, the availability of spares can be a problem- specifically body parts. Resale will also be a problem. lack of ABS in such an expensive car is a CRIME as it aids handling under hard braking.

if you want to buy a cool looking premium hatch, then why dont you go for the Fabia. it is a great overall package and as a brand, SKODA is way ahead of CHEVROLET in INDIA. and FABIA has top notch build quality and great looking interiors- even better than the octavia. take a look at it man.