manishk123

Laura or VW Jetta - cant decide!

Hi guys,

Need some help in deciding which one to go for - The Laura Ambiente or the Jetta 1.9TDI Trendline.

I'm replacing my octavia which has now clocked nearly 150,000 kms. I was a bit swayed to the Laura as the interiors looked more upmarket and the rear legroom felt more, but i'm confused since VW is a better brand and I like the looks of the Jetta more since its fresher than the Laura which has been around for a while.

Any suggestions??

i will go for Jetta though Laura has more features but Jetta is comfortable, newer atleast in India and VW so got more status.. And as you are in bombay there should not be problem of Service...otherwise the engine is same...And Trendline Dsg is best choice..

well the jetta is what i would pick,laura has been there for quite sometime now and seriously a vw would make a better statement than a skoda!though the trendline version you have opted for dose'nt come with a DSG or othe goodies.....so you have to make a choice you want more features or the brand value and a newer product too that is jetta.......the comfortline is fully loaded if you can streatch your budget consider that.

siddhant2008-09-29 16:00:20

Well to me the Laura Fares better , its more stylish and is better than the sibling Jetta , but as u already own a octavia , you might be aware of the high maintenance cost and also very high spare parts , i would also like to suggest you the Hyundai Sonata Emebera , maintenance will be cheaper and also the spares! but isnt as stylish as the Laura , but i would prefer you to have a test drive of the Embera before deciding    on the Laura!

Cheers!!!

mndvishnu2008-09-29 16:18:24

Hi guys' date='
Need some help in deciding which one to go for - The Laura Ambiente or the Jetta 1.9TDI Trendline.
I'm replacing my octavia which has now clocked nearly 150,000 kms. I was a bit swayed to the Laura as the interiors looked more upmarket and the rear legroom felt more, but i'm confused since VW is a better brand and I like the looks of the Jetta more since its fresher than the Laura which has been around for a while.

Any suggestions??
[/quote'] Hello Manish k123.smiley1.gif...... i know its really a tough choice to choose between LAURA & JETTA!!......but both are really excellent cars!!....as u already own a skoda then laura is better buy.. but now its becoming old...thats why i cant really suggest it

Personally speaking.. i will suggest u the JETTA comfortline ....not only because its newly launched but because it really comes with nice features at very reasonable price.....Laura is bit expensive....so Jetta is one to go for!!smiley20.gif

Manish think about the availability of service centers for VW. its fairly new in India and it cant open up more in India now. If you are satisfied with the service of Skoda at your place then you can buy the Laura - its a fantastic vehicle. MB has more service centres in India now comapred to VW or skoda. Its seems you are looking at a diesel option now. But let me tell, Soon after the coming elections diesel prices will come close to petrol price and we are also going to experice severe shortage diesel in the coming days. When you okay with petrol engines also - then a lot of options open up for you. 

if you are limiting your choices to jetta and Laura then definetly laura seems a better option to me. some how jetta looks don't go with me. laura seems to offer more creature comforts..

did you check for any discounts on superb? there seems to be massive discount on superb now that newer one is coming around. you can check if that is in your budget..

Overall Laura seems to be winner.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Deliberately not looking at the top end models of both these cars as the price difference doesnt make sense. The extra goodies cost almost 3 - 4 lacs more on both. This is going to be more of a run about town, pick-up the kids from school kind of use for me so the features are fine. What's swaying my decision towards the Laura is the Rs.45,000 discount offered by the dealer. Add that to the price difference of  Rs.40,000 between the two cars, jetta being more expensive, I end up saving almost a lac if i go for the Laura. I think i'll take the plunge...

Get hold of the old Skoda Superb. It beat the socks of the other 2 car's mentioned. It has a V6 diesel and comes at a hefty discount. The new Skoda Superb is going to come out only with a 4 cylinder engine, diesel and petrol. Or wait for the oncoming Skoda VRS. You could extend your budget for an old Skoda superb instead of going in for the Jetta.

i think you should buy the jetta cause every auto mag says that jetta feels built of more quality matierial compared to laura...anyways laura's are so common on road these daysz so better buy the jetta....jetta's interiors are superb when compared to laura !!!!

Present gen.Jetta must be nearing its end abroad, to play safe, go in for the rather newer Laura. Moreover Jetta has been kind of a non starter in India, till now Ive not seen more than a couple.

On second thought's I think you should wait for the facelifted Octavia, it's better looking than the Laura, inside out; and your sure to save atleast 3 lacs if you buy it instead of the Laura...have a look at Vibhor's post on this forum.

@ manish

i think you should go ahead with the Laura deal , the Laura is more stylish , and as for the technology part is concerned both are siblings and both share the same engine under thier hood , so more or less both are same , hence i feel the Laura will be a better buy due its styling!

On the other hand you bieng the octy owner must eb aware of the high spare parts cost and huigh maintenance cost , hence you could as well have a look at the HYUNDAI SONATA EMBERA DIESEL , the maintenance and the spares for the sonata is on the lower side and would be a value for money , well incase you dont want the sonata embera then the ultimate choice would be the Laura!

Cheerss!!!