anjan_c2007

Maruti 800 Slips Out of the Top Ten-August '08

The Maruti 800 with some new add-ons has failed to click with car buyers and has slipped out of the Indian Top Ten  sales charts of cars/SUV's during August 2008. The buyer prefers to go in for the Alto outright over the 800, while the Wagon R, Swift, Zen Estilo are selling more as compared to the 800 since many months.

It was heard in the grapevine that MSIL may slash 800 prices to enable it compete with the Nano, but even such a drop may not see the sales moving northward. It is because the buyer prefers newer technology and at least some goodies that make the Alto and Wagon R more popular sales-wise.

Is the 800 going the VW Beetle way ? The Beetle sales took a downturn since the late 1960's and by the mid 1970's the car sold 22  million units (outselling the Model T Ford ). Its production was stopped in Germany in 1974 and shifted to Mexico and Brazil, where these sold well thereafter, for two and a half decades.

Oh no!!!thats not a good thing!!smiley6.gif...everytime when i take my issue of ACi....i open sales chart page n see with a big smile that that our very own M800 is still in Top Ten!!...err..but now!!the alto has completely taken its place!!.....anjan can  u tell which other cars noew are in top ten??smiley1.gif

vibhor- the top ten reads- Aug 2008 figures

Alto 15574

Swift 9645

i 10   9183

Wagon R 8762

Santro  8169

Indica 7756

Omni 6360

Indigo 4460

Swift Dzire 4301

Innova  4059

The Maruti 800 is out of the charts for the first time ever since it was launched in 1984.

anjan_c20072008-09-29 17:53:11

I think it would be better for first time car buyer's to go in for the Chevy Spark, rather than an Alto. The Spark has become very VFM after the 3 years free service offer from Chevy. The base variant would make a strong case for itself, I think; what say?

vibhor- the top ten reads- Aug 2008 figures
Alto 15574
Swift 9645
i 10   9183
Wagon R 8762
Santro  8169
Indica 7756
Omni 6360
Indigo 4460
Swift Dzire 4301
Innova  4059
The Maruti 800 is out of the charts for the first time ever since it was launched in 1984.
smiley1.gif great!!i10and dZire were here just after thier launches!....

..u can see most of the MARUTI cars are on top ten in sales chart!!MARUTI SUZUKI Rocks!!smiley17.gif
vibhor2008-09-30 07:22:06

The GM Chevrolet Spark is knocking upwards at the top ten list to get in. It sold 3700 odd units in August'08 i.e. just 300 less than the Innova. With the huge discounts being offered on the spark and the new engine line-up viz. a 796cc engine (petrol) that worked for the Matiz and possibly a 1000cc diesel, Spark will be the car to watch out for, as far as sales figures go.