Durango Dude

Hyundai i20 high res images!!!

Interior treatment seems Honda inspired, the dash design, steering wheel, central console, etc. are all a la Honda! Which is a good thing actually, but when will Hyundai turn original??

Anyway, a good diesel under the hood & that too at initial launch, will be well worth. I hope Hyundai have learned their lesson from previous Getz diesel, which was introduced much later & as a result failed miserably!

@vibhor: great pic's; this car is sure to be a hit. @speed: it's only till acceptance that one is labelled a 'copycat'<all the top Jap brands started life as American copycat's> so the i series is going to do the trick for Hyundai: to be accepted as a maker of quality and reliable car's, at an affordable price.

i20 is sure to be a hit and will surely take the competition to the Fabia, Yaris and Jazz.

I wish the same, but a lot depends on right engine options & pricing.

I consider i20 to be a larger hit than Fabia due to its high price, there's nothing great in the Yaris, Jazz will be positioned as a premium hatch & excepted well in the market. This leaves Punto against i20, my pick would be Punto for sure.

So, journey is not going to be a cakewalk for i20.

I20 seems to be the next King in premium hatchback segment. It has all that makes a winner - muscular looks,the shoulder lines enhance the looks of its side profile, interiors are roomy and have an upmarket feel to them. All in all a very competent car.

However, it will require strong performing petrol and diesel engines to challenge its rivals like Fabia, and upcoming Punto, Jazz, and Yaris. Hope Hyundai suceeds to pamper its customers like it did with the I10.

nice pics and info vibhor and DD i20 sure is a gr8 one to be launched in india but has to be rightly priced and launched as all other members said. lets c how does hyundai approach is to indian markets.. HYUNDAI ppl r u listening???

@thackervijay = thanks buddy!...most of the chances are that hyundai will price it rightly, because with hit of i10 just after its launch..so i think would like to have this agin with its i20 in india! :-)  smiley1.gif

@Durango = Thanks buddy!smiley17.gif
vibhor2008-10-07 06:32:47

Interior treatment seems Honda inspired' date=' the dash design, steering wheel, central console, etc. are all a la Honda! Which is a good thing actually, but when will Hyundai turn original??
Anyway, a good diesel under the hood & that too at initial launch, will be well worth. I hope Hyundai have learned their lesson from previous Getz diesel, which was introduced much later & as a result failed miserably!
[/quote'] Ya i think the same..

even when i10 was launched i thought that its interiors are inspired from Honda Crv...Gear shift integrated in dash, steering, were the main things that i thought they are like Crv

Yes I also felt i10's interiors were copied from CRV.
But what a jump across segments to copy.
ya and thats what Hyundai want to show the people who thought that koreans arent that good especially when comapared to japs...

Ok not all japs but atleast this korean Hyundai is better than mayn japs like Suzuki...and thats why its ahead and became worlds 5th largest in shrt time even ahead of Honda..

the new i20 looks terrific and with some competitive pricing, it should really shake up the upper b segment..am a diehard hyundai fan..right from  nov 1998when we bought our santro and later the getz..yeah hyundai's designs have been inspired by others but those days are long gone..and i simply cant understand the issue of the console mounted gearbox..ppl...honda wasnt the first either.what if i nw say that honda copied that from the super successful fiat multipla. design elements are always carried fwd by other companies and sometimes used more effectively than the original.i think its time evryone gave hyundai their due cuz they make some very capable,reliable cars..besides you cant make it to the top 5 by imitating designs.if that were the case, chinese manufacturers wud have been market leaders..give it a thought...cheers

Hyundai's successor to the Getz, the i20 hatchback which will be launched at the end of 2008 in India and Europe will be the first car from the company to use the latest generation U2 diesel engine. The i20 will be manufactured solely at Hyundai's Chennai facility as India is the company's small car hub now. The U2 diesel motor is more advanced than the CRDi motor which Hyundai uses in the current Getz and the Verna. The U2 is a 1,582 cc 4-cylinder engine which uses second-gen common rail diesel injection system along with variable geometry turbocharger and a variable swirl control system. The result is improved power at 128ps @ 4000rpm and better fuel economy which Hyundai claims in the range of 21kmpl! The new i20 with the U2 engine will make for a thrilling drive which doesnt hurt your pocket. Hyundai, we are waiting.

@ BS , the Hyundai India are Planning to put 1.4 CRDI engine for the i20 , this is the newly developed engine that produces 90 PS , and it will alos enjoy the exicse duty benifit for being 1.4 L diesel! this is not the confirmed news yet but they are thinking!

Cheers!

Hyundai i20 First Drive rep

Hyundai i20

Newcomer banishes memories of Getz, but does it push firm to front of the supermini field?

car_photo_289014_7.jpg

Auto Express Car Reviews

By James Foxall

October 2008

Rating: rating_3.gif

Hitting the big time in small cars has become the holy grail for motor makers desperate to survive our current cash-strapped climate.

Hyundai didn