dp1510

Car sways while breaking at high speed

Hello, I own a Swift VDI, when I go on a speed of about 120KM, and if I am applying the break say for overtaking, the car sways either ways... what could be the reason? is it because the car does not have ABS or the tyres are not good enough for that car?

+1 what Asheesh said & Swift has some amounts of body roll, while swaying is aided with punny tyres & ABS is a must.

Try to upgrade the tyres, it should have +ve. effect on handling.

Bridgestone Potenza Glll are good for handling, moreso on wet surfaces. Though ride quality may become a tad stiff.

Go in for calculated upgrade to achieve maximum benifit, ie in terms of mileage, ride & handling.

I feel that your car's locking it's wheel under hard braking. It's better to just caress the brakes and give it a linear push rather; if you stand on them, then it'll definitely lock at such speeds. Wider tyres should give some confidence. But I don't think there are any 'aftermarket' ABS systems. But ABS makes a helluva difference, where the car tracks straight and stops in shorter distances than non ABS car's. May the next car you buy, make sure it comes with ABS, it's worth it.

In addition to that, the car tyre which I looked for is 185/70 bridgestone Potenza GIII.

I wanted to know if it is really worth in changing the tyres at this point in time.

I this thread, I see that everyone has said not to hard break in that high speed, I actually did not do a hard breaking, while overtaking to reduce the speed little bit, I just pump once, at that time I feel the sway, and moreover it would happen only at a speed more than 120KMPH.

Hi  DP, what size does Zxi come with ? You can opt for that size, as that is also thicker rubber. I think it comes with 185/70/14.

This size should solve your problem, in case you want to still go fatter, then you will have to change the rim to 15".

Read you last post just now, Potenza G111 should solve your problem to some extent. Try the size you mentioned : 185/70/14.

speed2008-10-06 16:30:57

Hello Speed, you are absolutely right. The factory fitted petrol version comes with 185/70-R14. The Bridgestone potenza GIII which I enquired is 185/70 and he said that I can fit that with my existing RIM. the cost he said for each tyre is 3400/-.

Going with OEM size is the best option. You have chosen a good tyre, go ahead with it.

Other choices could be Michelin, Yokohama. You can check out tyres from these manufacturers also.