novice

Looking for hatch to match...

Hi everyone,

This is an SOS call of sorts. Like many consumers the recent bevy of launches in the hatchback segment has left me in an absolute jam. So let me go about detailing my problem. My query may sound tad similar to those in other threads but it isn

Your monthly running is around 1000 kms. So diesel isnt actually necessary for you & Diesel car maint. will obviously be slightly more than the petrol but you do make it up with the mileage & fuel cost diff.

i20- Dont expect this to be cheap. I think this will be outta your budget.

Jazz- June '09 launch

Punto- Let fiat launch the Linea first. I dont Punto before March in our roads.

A Star- will be launched in few weeks. But would nt advice you since you have above 5 lacs budget.

Cars i would advice : Swift VXI if you sticking to petrol, Swift VDI for diesel and i10 Kappa. Choose one of these. But i would anyday recommend a Swift over a i10. And yeah Swift ABS bookings have been stopped as of now!

@Novice = Must say , u have very clearly specified ur reqirements!!

..ur running of 13000km a year means that u need a diesel car!

..so,I would suggest u the MS Swift VDi as its the best optin available in market these days!.....

..Honda jazz,Punto,splash,i20...these cars havent launched yet ..n dont know when they will launch!..maybe end of this year or sarting of next year.....so i would suggest u to go for Swift as its the best!..plus u will be getting a sweeter deal from Maruti and excellent customer service!...go for it its the best!smiley17.gif 

Hi everyone,

This is an SOS call of sorts. Like many consumers the recent bevy of launches in the hatchback segment has left me in an absolute jam. So let me go about detailing my problem. My query may sound tad similar to those in other threads but it isn

Blindly select the Swift VDi ABS

i10 is petrol and quiet small.

All the other cars you have listed are good on paper, But cant comment on how they would fare after 6months of launch.

Hi everyone,

its only after driving 45000 KM over three year you will be able to reach a breaking point between Diesel and Patrol, assuming that the services and other charges will remain the same.

But thats not the case as we all know Diesel engine needs more services , more money. I would not recomend Diesel car for an average user who would do less that 20000 KM an year. For more details please mail me viveksonkhla@gmail.com

I presume the diesel will have a somewhat higher resale, and also higher finance costs. My own feeling is that the changeover point from Petrol to Diesel lies in the 18,000-24,000 km pa range. One must contrast this with the far more linear power delivery of the petrol as compared to the notchy behaviour of the diesel as the turbo 'cuts in'. Of course once the turbo is 'on song' a diesel pulls like a train.

I must add I am a petrol lover. However, there should be a good engine rather than the apology of a petrol as is true in so many cases.

sgiitk2008-10-03 12:12:37

I presume the diesel will have a somewhat higher resale' date=' and also higher finance costs. My own feeling is that the changeover point from Petrol to Diesel lies in the 18,000-24,000 km pa range. One must contrast this with the far more linear power delivery of the petrol as compared to the notchy behaviour of the diesel as the turbo 'cuts in'. Of course once the turbo is 'on song' a diesel pulls like a train.

I must add I am a petrol lover. However, there should be a good engine rather than the apology of a petrol as is true in so many cases.
[/quote']

I totally agree with you on this.

Add: Tyre wear, Extra services charges, frequency of part replacement and you will end up wiht high cost of ownership of a diesel car.

Don't just look a saving on Fuel , look at the total cost of Ownership over a perioud of time.

I did this number juglary at the time of buying my current car. Believe me this works.

Even I would suggest you to go blindly for Maruti Suzuki Swift VDI. This is one of the best cars falling in your price range and as per your requirement. Being a Maruti car, you would need comparatively low cost of running and maintenance.

I don't know when people will stop seeing diesel car as an option only when you have a run of longer distances. Just see petrol engine and diesel engine as different engines, I mean, just like you see different petrol engines in different cars. You reason out which one is of your liking and what is the worthiness of it. Getting different fuel bills is just one parameter. There are enough cars where diesel counterpart is cheaper than petrol when the petrol engine is a good one. Would you still do the arithematics of when the cost of ownership will cut even? It just does not make sense. Even when petrol engine is not well spec'ed compared to the diesel counterpart, if you still think that petrol is the one that gives you the pleasure of driving (less NVH, power band, less maintenance, blah blah), then one should just buy the petrol. If one loves the diesel for whatever reason, just go for the diesel. If we always talk about prices breaking even, no one will buy any other car than Maruti Omni, because no other car price will break even with the Omni. I hope people get the point.

Yeah. Another observation I have seen. Those who have bought diesel car just because they expect longer yearly runs, they end up running more kilometers thereby spending more on fuel and maintenance, whereas the same person would have run much lesser if they had purchased a petrol one. The point is that you never break even because petrol guy is never going to run that many kilometers if his head always does this calculation and thus he is going to save a lot more by buying petrol car. It is like you end up spending more money when there are huge discounts than what you would actually spend when there is no discount at all!!! Surprising how people's brain works.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I really do get the point your making. I did the math using the cost of petrol and diesel in Delhi, Rs 54 and Rs.34 a liter respectively. I took the mileage figures of the VXI and VDI to be 12.1 and 19.1 (figures I found on the forum). What if found was that I would have a marginal edge in the VDI in two years time, even if i assumed that servicing costs to be marginally higher. From what I gather all cars diesel or petrol do not generally need major repairs prior to three years (in average city use conditions and if driven well). It would be of great help if any one who owns a swift could comment on its maintenance figures. And yes finally my big question now is, from the drivers perspective which is better car VXI or VDI. Is the petrol engine on the Swift any good or is that the domain of the Kappa i10.

If you alone are driving and no back seat comfort is needed then rule out Vista...

i10 kappa is a good overall car but Swift is more driver focussed..Both diesel and petrol are good options..

If Petrol then i would choose i10 as i find it overall a better car though segment lower..

What are everyones views about the Fabia 1.2 petrol it seems packed with features. And at on On road price of 5.48 for the mid range variant, it's quite a bargain. How is Skoda,s ASS and maintenance costs.