asheesh1982

New one or Used one

I am planning for my third car. But i am really confused whether to go for a new MID SEGMENT or a used HIGHER SEGMENT car.

Instead of going for SX4, i can get a Corolla 2005 for 5.5 - 6 Lacs and spend the excess amount for tuning and interiors (refreshing).

The reason am thinking is am a bit possesive about my cars and when some cycle/ padestrians with suitcases/ children with pebbles scratch the car it hurts badly. So why not go for a cheaper version.

My Brother-in-law has bought used Opel Vectra as new is not available and he loves that model, but we have touched speeds of 180+ . Being used also car has good performance.

I have a constraint, almost every month i travel mumbai - bangalore, so i want the car to be as reliable as possible. Hence am in doubt.

Please suggest.

Hello Ashish!....i would suggest u to go for the brand new SX4....it would be a good option instead of buying used Corolla..n i think now its not in production...

...n its lower version will not give u those features which brand new SX4 Zxi will give!!..used corolla makes more sense if u want a car to be ur 'status symbol'...otherwise go for new SX4 its a great deal!smiley17.gif

A new car is always better than the old one. You get free services, lower maintenance, feel good factor of driving a brand new car plus the fragnance of new car is better than any car perfume you use.

Although you will be able to get a used Corolla at lesser price but it will be higher to get serviced and spare parts, tyres that would need a change early etc. will cost you much more. And those scratches on the steering wheel and dash will remind you that you are driving an OLD car. And a new car is always more reliable than used one.

In my opinion - go with SX4 ZXI. I love it and so will you.

buddy stick with corolla...

SX4 with its super stiff suspension will make u mad on long journey..& buils quality is nothing to write about...

better go for corolla which gives u good ride quality ...& better performance than SX4....

Thanks friends, its a mixture of opinions. Well am still in confusion and to add to it, seen an Opel Vectra 2.2 (46000 KMS) for 7 Lacs, 1 of my friends is works manager in GM and according to him the car is in perfect conditions. Also my brother-in-law owns one and he loves this car. Any car i will be buying will be primarily for Highways as for city i have a zen that gives decent 16 km/l. Hell of confusion.

Also i went to dealerships on Saturday. SX4, Fiesta and AVEO. AVEO ruled out, between SX4 and Fiesta, Fiesta is car to drive, but comfort levels r less, its bumpy with stiff suspension, though i drove S version.

SX4 was better equipped but the engine works on its own, no eagerness to go forward.

Thanks friends' date=' its a mixture of opinions. Well am still in confusion and to add to it, seen an Opel Vectra 2.2 (46000 KMS) for 7 Lacs, 1 of my friends is works manager in GM and according to him the car is in perfect conditions. Also my brother-in-law owns one and he loves this car. Any car i will be buying will be primarily for Highways as for city i have a zen that gives decent 16 km/l. Hell of confusion. [/quote']

hey which year model is it?? and also 7 lakhs is too much for used Vectra , only if it is 05 model then only buy it for 7 lakhs , if  its 04 model , please try to negotiate hard , tell you what since your friend gave your green signal for the condition of the car it will be a good buy , its very stylish and a true sports car! incase its 04 mdoel please negotiate hard say around 6 lakhs , if 03 model then 5 lakhs n odd!

Cheers!!

well i would not recommend to go for old car which is phased out and that too opel...the company itself has no existence now though GM will help you for spares and servicing but avoid...i would prefer used corolla or try to get big tooth accord or civic at around 8-9.5 lac...sometime back i came across some civic that was available at 8.5 and another one was around month old with around 1k km and was for 10l...

A new car is always a better car in many aspects. But if you find a good used one, go for it. But be careful in buying a used car. You won't lose lot of money while reselling a old car compared to a new car.

The reason am thinking is am a bit possesive about my cars and when some cycle/ padestrians with suitcases/ children with pebbles scratch the car it hurts badly. So why not go for a cheaper version.

BINGO! Asheesh, exactly the same reason I buy used cars. I get hyper when I see a scratch on my car and my mood is off for atleast 24 hours!! There are very sweet deals available in the market if you search and be patient. I bought my current Palio, 8 months old and 5000kms on the odo for just Rs.3.50 lakhs.....Back then a new car was 5.5 lakhs!

Having experienced an Astra, I would suggest you stay away from the Vectra, for that matter any Opel car in India, as the cost of spares are insanely expensive. Yes, the Vectra is a great car and if you are ready to pay these high costs then you can go ahead.

Also when buying used always look for cars with less mileage (<25000 kms) and buy it directly from the seller. Avoid brokers / dealers unless you know them. Also take a mechanic along to check the car, if you can.