Durango Dude

Hyundai becomes the 5 th largest car co!

Hyundai-Kia pass Honda to become world's 5th largest automaker

Posted Jul 4th 2008 3:02PM by Michael Harley
Filed under: Car Buying, Plants/Manufacturing, Hyundai, Kia

hyundai_logo_250.jpgLess than a decade ago, the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group was ranked 11th in the world in total sales volume. According to the latest publishing of the Automotive News 2008 Global Data Book, the automaker has impressively passed Honda to take 5th position. To climb six positions in just eight years isn't a simple accomplishment as it required stepping over such global automakers as Fiat, Chrysler, PSA/Peugeot, Nissan, and Honda. Last year, Hyundai-Kia sold 3,961,629 automobiles worldwide (Hyundai sold 467,000, and Kia 305,473 in the United States alone). While they still have a long way before they reach 4th position currently held by Ford (global sales of 5,964,000 in 2007), their move into other markets as witnessed by the luxurious 2009 Hyundai Genesis and the group's favorable June automotive sales (even in a depressed market) demonstrate the increasing strength of the Korean automaker.

[source: AutoIndustry]

Kudos to hyundai for his accomplishment. Their cars are getting considerably better through the years and they are becoming a global force. I hope we get something better looking though from their stable now!!

only getz is your problem crazy cat??

well i admit getz is not class-leader but overall it is a desirable car...

every other model is doing an excellent job (i think except verna)

internationally, the i series has notched a lot of sales

Hyundai  is on a roll! It must be more satisfying for them to have pipped Honda, rather than achieve the 5th. spot, Japanese are their arch rivals & one whom they emulate!

@speed..........yup i know toyota overtook GM in the first half of 2008.....but still GM is worlds' no.1 only if they can regain their position!!

@yamahaR15-totally agree with you on the design part...infact i don't like the design of any of the hyundai's in india!sonata is just about ok...........i liked the accent but that too is dated now!

GM regaining position!! Out of question! With GM shutting down plants, cutting workforce, selling sub brands, they can just dream about being Numero-Uno!

Also, recent American economy meltdown is going to push it further downwards.

Good that Hyundai being korean is moving ahead day by day...Whatever Indians are thinking about Hyundai and comparing them with other so called Indian-Japs, leave it, its getting good response from over the globe and thats good thing to consider it as a good brand ...

Can anyone tell me which are the companies in worlds Top10 or say Top15

well toyota is way ahead of honda and its other japanese counterparts...the media says that toyota is the most boring car designer but it still goes on selling..now volkswagen group is eyeing the 2nd spot and aims to dispalce gm by 2009  !!!