autowoman

traffic cops aaargh!!!whats the solution

How many times have you run into a massive jam beofre a junction and said to yourself....must be a cop !!I have actually timed myself on my run form office to home in similar traffic conditions when theres been a cop and when the lights have been on.Needless to say the lights work just fine.

In fact they are sent out to ease the traffic and just land up causing a worse mess. Dont they know what the word regulate means??? can they not see that when they let one entire side go the other one is piling up to the next junction and causing a worse mess there?? How do we keep them off the road or then how do we educate them?
FuelRunGod2007-09-29 20:56:25

Its all got to do with lack of coordination. Many times, the cop at the junction has no way of knowing how long the traffic queue is. Instead of placing cops at the junctions, some should also be placed further up and down the road to read the traffic so that they can instruct the cops at the junctions accordingly.

FRG

OK..

Im the last one to take the side of the cops but I have to give them devils their due.

As you know this week in Bombay.. was quite horrible thanks to the Ganpati Visarjan and those dorks in blue supposedly winning the T20 on their own... I think it was all fixed but thats another story.

So getting back to my story.. Wednesday...the dorks in Blue returned and traffic in Bombay was thrown completely out of kilter..me.. driving to work at 9 am..gets caught in the mother of all jams at Haji Ali.

So, sitting in the car, nothing to do, cop standing next to me, so I roll down the window and start asking him if I am going to spend the rest of the day here. so he tells me that hes been at the same spot at Haji Ali for the last 36 HOURS without a break, first for the Ganpati traffic.. and then for the "VICTORY LAP" of those dorks.

If I was in his place.. Id have said **** it.. Im going home.. but these guys are dedicated to their job..and for that I think I need to dof my hat to them.

Having said all this..yea autowoman I have to agree with you.. they do make quite a hash of traffic.

Cheers

Zav

Hash is a minor word zavo. They may have been around when the dorks in blue (whom by the way  I think did an amazing job with out the oldies in the team..but thats another story:) but thats only cause they wanted to see the dorks themselves. where were there when the heavens opened up and chaos ruled in Mumbai ...where were they on the 22nd Aug 98 when all traffic in Mumbai came to a standstill.. More often then not when there is a serious jam ,( not one created by him)he common man gets out of his car and sorts it out before the Pandu can even comprehend the situation.

I can list a thousand situations ..ike what about the pandu thats scratching his......and chewing paan watching whilst you try to get a taxi to move from bang smack middle of  congested u turn area......or what does he do when someone stops his car in the midle of the road to repair a puncture?? I could go on so better not to get me started...bottom line they are useless waste of tax payers money!!

So.. lets get all the cops off the road and let the chaos reign supreme...

What fun!!:)

BTW.. with yours and my observation powers methinks we can do a thesis on the behavioural patterns of Pandus... just wonder how many people would read it...

Have a modded Honda with body Kit, Engine work & exhaust. Even after turning down the noise of the exhaust cops want their money, say body kit is not allowed. is a safety issue. any ideas to deal with them.

Our Indian Police are seemingly the worst cops in the world, but surprisingly enough, they aren't.  You should try walking around in Nigeria, for instance.  There are several cases of the cops themselves putting a pack of drugs in your pocket and harrassing you for drug trafficking.  Or try Ukraine, for that matter.  Once you get the "feel" of these cops, you would think our Policemen are Gods!

Probably our Police have the least morale in the world.  They are paid peanuts, they are least equipped, live in the worst of conditions and frowned upon even by school children.  Try visiting your local station to get an idea.  They are only just getting away with their iconic battered Jeeps, which sway from side to side loaded with Hawaldars clinging on to dear life! If any of our policemen has a visit to the West and takes a look at his counterpart, he would probably commit suicide considering his pathetic state. 

Instead of blaming our Police entirely, we might take a look at the way we drive and use the roads.  In India a red signal and a green signal means exactly the same - "slow down, look around for a cop, then speed away!".  How many of us know that the rule in India is "give way to the vehicle on the right" while approaching a junction and most importantly, traffic roundabouts?  The rule in actual practice over here is, "I was here first, so you get out of the way!".

Our Police forces are only an extension of our highly disorganised system and laidback attitude.  Perhaps the good old "Pandu Hawaldar" deserves some much needed praise for belting it out in the scorching sun and suffocating pollution, trying hard to do his duty. 

Jitz

all they want is money. money money money. they wud do anything for it

i was driving my car when two bikes went past me. to everyone's horror, a constable jumped in front of the bikes to stop them because one of them dint have a helmet. the biker had to brake so hard that he skid and fell down and the bike behind him almost fell down too. i dint get to see what happnd after that but managed to see the bike driver slap the constable. he deserved it

all they want is money. money money money. they wud do anything for it
i was driving my car when two bikes went past me. to everyone's horror' date=' a constable jumped in front of the bikes to stop them because one of them dint have a helmet. the biker had to brake so hard that he skid and fell down and the bike behind him almost fell down too. i dint get to see what happnd after that but managed to see the bike driver slap the constable. he deserved it
[/quote']

Hahaha thatz what it happens here usually helmets are worn for safety and these constables to convey the mesage and to place a fine they made accident smiley36.gif and you must have enjoyed the scene praveen hahaha thanks for sharing this scene with us. hehhee

lols i gave 50 to cop for not wearin a helmet ... i was in my bike..

Why were you not wearing a helmet in the first place?

I am sure you took advantage of the cops baser instincts to avoid a heavier fine.

I for one have zero sympathy for people not wearing helmets or seat belts as the case may be ! ! !

yeah.... people should wear helmets and seat belts for driving. it's for their own safety. the govt. did a good thing by putting this rule but, it looks like the govt. did it not for our safety but to earn more money. the police stop you not for your safety but for the money

In Bangalore also the practise of switching of the lights is common now. Then whats the point in having lights any ways...

Agree the police sometimes screw up the regulation of traffic. But considering the traffic mess in bangalore i think they try their best. There is some sort of order when they are around. Especially in junctions without signals

And i also think that majority of us Indians have pathetic driving habits and no consideration for anyone else on the road. We contribute to the mess in a big way...

In Bangalore also the practise of switching of the lights is common now. Then whats the point in having lights any ways...

In many countries Two Wheelers drive with the light on all the time. Also, in some countries (Scandinavian?) you need 'running lights' on cars as well. All for being more visible to others.

In many countries Two Wheelers drive with the light on all the time. Also' date=' in some countries (Scandinavian?) you need 'running lights' on cars as well. All for being more visible to others.
[/quote']

sgiitk, i actually meant traffic lights. But yes, people seem to forget that they have dimmers in the cars and its better to drive on dimmed lights in cities. No one does that. Its always HIGH Beam. No courtsey at all...

But still there is benifit for Both Police and the people , the Police make Money for thier livleyhood and people wear helmets and seat belts for saving thier money to hel them live and also for safety so that they can again livesmiley36.gif

Blaming these poor things is easy, guys. These wretched creatures mould into anything just for dear bread... from the neta's guard dog to the city traffic's steam- easer to the favourite punching bag of the media and the society. 

Sitting over here and criticizing them is easy, but believe me, no one here would want to be in one of these guys' boots for even an hour, though the idea of a quick buck might light up in one's mind.

Instead of heaping blame on these guys for everything from the hurricanes in the US to the failed crop in AP (maybe a bit exaggerated... to add to the effect!), we would be served better if we encourage them to perform better and do something to raise their pay- packages.

Blaming these poor things is easy, guys. These wretched creatures mould

into anything just for dear bread... from the neta's guard dog to the

city traffic's steam- easer to the favourite punching bag of the media

and the society. 

Sitting over here and criticizing them is easy, but believe me,

no one here would want to be in one of these guys' boots for even an

hour, though the idea of a quick buck might light up in one's mind.

Instead of heaping blame on these guys for everything from the

hurricanes in the US to the failed crop in AP (maybe a bit

exaggerated... to add to the effect!), we would be served better if we

encourage them to perform better and do something to raise their pay-

packages.

Yes dear friends these fellas in uniform have to pass the bucks upwards right upto the politician's level. Things may never change during our lifetimes as they stand here. Our mindsets are archaic and the bureaucracy is very very archaic. Anything and everything can be bought with MONEY.

Blaming these poor things is easy' date=' guys. These wretched creatures mould into anything just for dear bread... from the neta's guard dog to the city traffic's steam- easer to the favourite punching bag of the media and the society. 

Sitting over here and criticizing them is easy, but believe me, no one here would want to be in one of these guys' boots for even an hour, though the idea of a quick buck might light up in one's mind.

Instead of heaping blame on these guys for everything from the hurricanes in the US to the failed crop in AP (maybe a bit exaggerated... to add to the effect!), we would be served better if we encourage them to perform better and do something to raise their pay- packages.
[/quote']

i agree.... the only reason why the traffic police do all this is to earn a little more money and to give a better life to their families. the problem is, even if the govt. increases the wages, the police would never stop doing it. it's just become a habit to the whole system and its hard to get rid off