ruckfules_niks

Is the CITY good enough to be CIVIC Jr. ?

Hey guys !

The launch of the new CITY is going to be an important milestone for honda as it combines all aspects which an indian buyer is looking for !! Decent looks.... Great engine... good milage... etc... and with the automatic coming with the paddle shift its like an icing on the cake.... but is this good enough to call it the CIVIC Jr. ?! or is it just a grown up CITY ?! Well the price surely suggests its close to civic but will it realy give us the BANG for BUCK ???!

pool in....

Hey, A City is always a City buddy...It can get some features of Civic but cant be compared with Civic. Both are different in many ways..Here comes the Strategy of Honda... Many people will think the City as Jr Civic and go for it without considering the other competitors in the same class of City..

Well the problem is City is quite close to the Civic territory now. Im sure some buyers might think of City S or City V(If Honda do launch the V) instead of Civic E. But obviously Civic is a class above. But yeah a person with 9.5-11 lacs will be a tad confused unless he s settled for the Civic.

Anything new from Honda is reason to celebrate. The new City is no different. It has comeback with a bang..I guess...harking back to the day's of the ol City with it's wafer thin body and potent 'Hyper16' screamer's. Now, the body can't be that light so the bhp has been bumped up the body stiffened and safety features added...City is sure to regain it's top slot on launch. I feel the 8.9 lakh exshowroom price for the manual I think is good VFM considering all the features on offer.

This City is an alltogether new car, does'nt look similar to previous model in any respect. But surely has resemblences to the larger cousin Civic.

Always newer car generates more enthusiasm & people tend to opt for newer tech. After the launch of the new Accord, many would be Civic customers, turned to Accord. Same is going to be the case with City, many potential Civic customers would be inclined towards the City. Only a new Civic later would rejuvinate interest back in the car, till then it will suffer in sales, but still top its own segment. Anyways, total sales, weather in form of City or Civic, Honda would be pleased, as consumers would be lost in brand Honda only!

The people having budget of Civic will probably not look towards city but people having budget of top-end City may look towards Civic E but then City Topend is Auto will Civic E is manual so basically both's sales will not affect each other...

I have an another point to make...

Iam driving Civic for last 15 months. May be later i need to add a sedan in my garage, i may not be so keen to go for new city just bcoz of some similarity in interiors between the two.

I to fully agree that these are two different cars all together but its just that i would not prefer to have repetitive feeling while buying a new car.

Under 10L, new City will be the best petrol sedan!

IMO, from whatever I could make out from the pics., new City's interiors are not identical to Civics, although certain parts like steering, gear nob, etc. may be similar, but on the whole design is different.

It is a junior Civic,i agree....It has the looks, the Performance (which i reckon will be better than the Civic, which is heavier and has only 15bhp more) and the character. The only thing it lacks are the spacecraft like interiors.

Under 10L' date=' new City will be the best petrol sedan!

IMO, from whatever I could make out from the pics., new City's interiors are not identical to Civics, although certain parts like steering, gear nob, etc. may be similar, but on the whole design is different.

[/quote']

The gear knob in the City is similar to  City ZX. Civic s gear knob is diff! Only the Steering has been carried over from the Civic to the City.

ya only steering is carried over from civic while total designing is different but its good though centre console is small, it should have extended towards down to d gear but its ok, the silver finish on console doesnt looks that cool but somehow i feel that its of very good quality and it will look good when u will feel it...i just want to see the new city as soon as it reaches the showroom in my city..

From the pics the quality of interiors dont seem to be very impressive for 9 lacs + car:-

1. The red needle indicator on the tachometer seems to be over done

2. No silver garnish on door pads!!!

3. Interiors do seem to be have built to a price. It would be acceptable if it was priced same as City ZX but not for a premium 75 k over it!

If it wasnt for Civic steering I would expect more bashing for the interiors. Its great what a steering can add to the interior look!!smiley1.gif

The new City is undoubtedly a Jr. Civic especially its side profile and small boot. It has become more of Sporty looking like Civic and the Civic's steering with those paddle shifts makes on feel like he has got his hands on Civic. The performance could also be comparable to an extent due to the increase in power.

It has the potential to divert the customer from buying a base Civic and get a fully loaded City auto. So, its quite like a jr. civic.

would buyers really divert away to city instead of civic??i don't think so

Not all but the ones who are considering the base variant of Civic manual can opt for the top end City automatic as it offers much more features than civic base variant.

would buyers really divert away to city instead of civic??
i don't think so

Let alone the City and Civic, if the SX4 comes with a 1.3 MJD with a variable geometry turbo under the bonnet. The City is sure to sh*t bricks...watch out for the coupe de etat from Maruti. Mark my word's sure to happen in the near future.

With the new city, i no longer feel the need to buy the civic!

I get a good auto transmission box (not a cvt) with paddle shifters & good fuel econ...(correct me if im wrong about the cvt)...that is, if im comparing the CityS-AT and Civic E

i don't think so

Let alone the City and Civic' date=' if the SX4 comes with a 1.3 MJD with a variable geometry turbo under the bonnet. The City is sure to sh*t bricks...watch out for the coupe de etat from Maruti. Mark my word's sure to happen in the near future.
[/quote']

Well why does SX4 have to rely so much on the diesel to compete with the New City. Why cant the petrol do the talking inspite of being 1.2 lacs cheaper!!! City will still sell even if SX4 DDIS comes. Maruti will take ages to bring down their wait period.

i don't think so

Let alone the City and Civic' date=' if the SX4 comes with a 1.3 MJD with a variable geometry turbo under the bonnet. The City is sure to sh*t bricks...watch out for the coupe de etat from Maruti. Mark my word's sure to happen in the near future.
[/quote']

Well why does SX4 have to rely so much on the diesel to compete with the New City. Why cant the petrol do the talking inspite of being 1.2 lacs cheaper!!! City will still sell even if SX4 DDIS comes. Maruti will take ages to bring down their wait period.
i agree with you that buddy...If diesel is only thing that means maruti can never compete with world class honda because if people buys Sx4 diesel still they will buy only because its diesel otherwise their heart and mind will be on New City...If Honda with all their petrol cars is having excellent market in india that means Honda is really special...Many manufacturers are not doing so well with their diesel on the other hand Honda is doing miracles with Petrol engines...And that too people will buy Sx4 DDis not because its a maruti but because it has FIAT engine...