sharmag

Ford Fusion Query

I like the car's looks and space. Can someone knowledgeable advise me on the pros and cons of this car which has not done well in India. Is the 1.4 L duratorq diesel engine good enough for city driving ? (I mean, is it peppy enough ?)

How about the maintenance cost ?

How would you compare it with any other good car currently in this range of 5.5 to 7 Lakhs ? 

Ford's are generally expensive to maintain..., but the Fusion is quite moderate as it shares the brilliant 1.4TDCi with the Fiesta...I dont find any reason why it did not sell well apart from its high price...Its got lots of space and good ride and handling. I think you an have a look at the soon to be launched i20 which should match it on space (almost). Or try the Fabia or the Dzire or even the Fiesta is a brilliant option

Ford Fusion is very expensive to maintain. It was the first 'Premium' hatch to come to India and bombed big time: due to pricing and horrendous maintainence costs. Pricing has been ofset now by discounts, but service and maintainence issues remain.

The Fusion has an identity crisis and has not taken off in our market.Its spares I find are priced quite high if one goes through the 2007 ACI issue wherein a comparative study of spares and maintenance costs were made by Manish (FRG).

It is neither a sedan nor an estate nor a SUV.

Fusion never took off in India, in addition to reasons already cited, image, identity crisis, high spare parts prices & maintenance, etc. all contributed to its supereme failure.

A word of advice: Don't get stuck with it, during resale, it won't even fetch peanuts!

As members already suggested, i20 will be a worthy car, apart from this if you are in a hurry, try the Skoda Fabia, its a good car.

Yes, Fusion lacks in identity.. It can not be categorized as a sedan or a hatch or an SUV.This is the prime reason for its failure. Also Fords are at the higher side in maintenance and this car is not an exception....Price is a bit high for its features. Better consider cars other than Ford.. Like the Fabia diesel (if comfort and styling is required) or Logan diesel (except the looks, everything else is great) 

Never go for Fusion. You will not be able to find the body spares after some time. The engine is same of Fiesta and is quite nice. But do remember that a car that didn't sell will not resale either.

Fusion should be avoided unless you are opting for Fabia as both have high  spare part price and high maintainance costs .It is a mini SUV and has good GC and space is good .The cons are the ride is stiff and body panel start to rattle .

This car is confused actually...Ford thought to make an suv with the size of Premium hatch and price of sedan but failed..came out with FUSION the same itself says that its a mixture...

Leave all aside the main thing is its not successful, spares are expensive and Ford might not continue with this for long time..

Its better to go for some other car..

Hi All,

I think Everyone here strongly feels its best to avoid Fusion. The better alternative either can be Fabia or Dzire as both are in the same price bracket.

Else if you can wait  till March'09 than you can also consider Honda Jazz which should be worth the wait.

Hi, Apart from all the reason sited above, one interesting thing for failure was comparative vehicles available in market. When launched, Fusion was priced 7.00 lakhs plus.. At this price two more successful vehicles were there in the market in the same price range.. i.e. Honda city and Scorpio. By paying just 25000 extra you got these vehicles and by all means both these vehicles are superior than fusion.. ford had bad impression in the market, which is ruined further by putting such a good vehicle at exorbitantly high price for the package and size it offers. Ford needs to do more home work in India.Even tody, Ford Fusion is no comparable to Vista Quadra & to be launched I-20, if overall package is analysed. However, if you like the car try to find out rarely used Fusion at a very low price. All the best.

I own Ford Fusion, 1.4 Diesel since early 2009. Its performance in terms of mileage, stability and comfort is faboulous. In fact, I don't remember when it was last fuelled while short distance travel on daily basis.

I am using the car in mountaneous area in Bhutan, its pick up is excetionally good. Parts are durable smiley4.gif 

but spares parts are really too costly compared to Maruti and TATA cars in India.

Welcome Padam. You may be our first member from Thimpu. As far as spare prices are concerned the winners are Maruti, TATA (as you mentioned) and Hyundai.They have everything, volumes, very high indigenisation, excellent network.

To replace the wheel drum for for ford fusion, should I have to buy mandatorily from  Ford or wheel drums for the given size of tyre (195/60R15) are standard in market/interchangeable with any car using same tyre size? Can anyone help please.

There are certain model specific points so it has to be a Ford OE drum. It is possible that they source these from sa major manufacturer (like Delhi, or Brakes India, or Girling, or whatever). You are not obliged to go to Ford but I am not sure what is the infrastructure in Thimphu. A good spares dealer should be able to get spares for at least 20% lower than the mrp.

PS you do not have to send normal messages through the report route. There is the PM available for that. Also, no duplicate posts please.