Kinshuk

Omni as replacement for Padmini Taxis!!!

I would have prefered Indigo CS as replacements..

had been to mumbai recently and saw lot many other vehicles used as Taxis..viz..Maruti Esteem, Wagon R and Santro. Though the number was very less.

Definetly these cars cannot quit match the Return on Investment of the Padmini that too in a very short timeframe..

When they have decided to replace then why not plan for the future and why to choose omni...They can choose indigoCs, or any car but why another disaster ...Already they are using dated car now if they are upgrading why to choose again dated car...

Hope they doesnt paint those to yukk looking Black and Yellow..that looks cheap...actually there should be some sophisticated color of taxis like black,white or silver or even red,etc with some good TAXI plate on the top(roof)...new Omni's looks best with silver and white is evergreen.. 

There are many Santro and some Indica yellow and black taxis in Mumbai

Omnis will be an affordable addition. Gangtok town in Sikkim is full of Omni taxis (100%) which are quite easy to manoeuvre  on the hilly Himalayan roads.

sonycamv1246ej5.jpg
Cool cabs in Mumbai on either sides of a Padmini.The Indica and Indigo are very popular as coolcabs.

sonycamv1316cj4.jpg

A Santro taxi in Mumbai (all pics by anjan_c2007)

anjan_c20072008-10-16 14:59:14

Personally I think cars are good  as taxis but the Omni is horrible! Indica/Indigo would have been a better bet. Even the CNG Amby !

once sat in the front of an  8 seater omni and I was SCARED and 

twice in the rear and have banged my head while getting in on both counts and  not to miss out on the 'jumpin' ride!
Kinshuk2008-10-16 16:03:47

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/ET_Cetera/Mumbai_to_have_new_generation_Omni_taxis/articleshow/3586177.cms?in_showcase

Padmini Taxis' being replaced by Maruti Omni in Mumbai!!!

How uncomfortable and unsafe will these be!?!

Yeah!!Great news!!..finally those century old padminis will be replaced by new omnis!!great!!..omni can carry more people with more space!i've sat in mumbai taxis!..but now actually they have become an identity of bombay!...when i went bombay for the first time....the first vehicle in which i travelled was the padmini taxi!!...but now its nice new that omni will take its place!smiley17.gif

@Bluesapphire=yeah!..that yellow-black paint now looks odd!...white will do!!

....infact here in delhi all the easy cabs are in white!!!..n they are using mainly esteem, indigo,indica,marina,versa etc as taxis...but on Rly stations there are stil those old ambys in yellow n black n omni too!!smiley1.gif

@anjan = yup!!great pics anjan buddy!!....santro looks much much better!!

...n in chennai there are cool looking accents!!which looks simply great!!smiley1.gif

Thanks vibhor --Accents too must be comfortable .I  found Indica/Indigo great as taxis for comfort.

There was a taxi and auto strike in Mumbai today as there are plans to scrap 25 plus year old taxis. Many Premier taxis will go then. at least Premiers were better as compared to Omnis.

The Omni is slightly better than a Bajaj autorickshaw.

Yes speed The Padmini taxis were too good for their times (due apologies to CYRUS ). They have lived a full life (nearly 40 plus years) as taxis and need to go now, owing to their hidebound dynamics . In Mumbai they do not move @ more than 60 kmph and in a fast moving traffic (sometimes during late nights and holidays) and create bottlenecks. All of these have old petrol engines fitted with CNG compulsorily now.

vibhor yes LPG/CNG options are the need of the day sure!

anjan_c20072008-10-17 14:50:13

yes, the omnis are unsafe... but not as much as the padminis with squealing brakes, doors which dont close, non-functional taillights/headlights/indicators, bald tyres and who has heard of crumple zones in a padmini? by the way, who the hell cares for safety when you hire a city taxi honestly?

yes, the omnis are not fast... but atleast faster than padminis!

yes, the omni is not comfortable but atleast more than the fiat!

finally, it is not a very advanced car but atleast more than the padmini!

when we are talking of the indigo and indica, we should also think of the poor taxi drivers. from where will they get the money to buy such cars? they are getting the omni for 1.8 lakhs but a indica will cost 3.5 lakhs! i am from mumbai, even i will prefer stylish new modern taxis instead of "tin box" omni but sometimes lets think practically guys!
raj_50042008-10-17 19:10:53