Durango Dude

Jeeps to be built in India!!??!!

Jeeps could soon be built in India

Posted Oct 15th 2008 9:58AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski
Filed under: SUVs, Plants/Manufacturing, Jeep, India

jeep_india.jpg

No other brand is as patriotic as Jeep, boasting the WWII-era General Purpose military vehicle that helped win the war for the Allies. As it stands, current Jeeps are all U.S. made, with the Grand Cherokee and Commander hailing from the Detroit area, the Wrangler and Liberty being assembled in Toledo, Ohio and the Patriot and Compass coming from Illinois. That all seems set to change, though, as rumors swirl regarding India's Argentum Motors being tapped to build some of the SUVs abroad. Before everyone gets too upset, consider that Jeeps have been built in many other countries in the past, with even the classic Wrangler coming from Canada for a time. What this means for American jobs, though, we don't know. Colonel Bhagwati Prasad Suman from Argentum Motors suggests that any automaker building vehicles in India will save at least 15-percent in costs as compared to the United States. This being the case, we wouldn't be at all shocked if the rumors were true and if more such announcements were made in the future.

[source: Carscoop]

< ="http://s7.addthis.com/custom/weblogsinc/addthis_widget.js" =text/>

Actually, why dont they sell it in India? The Cherokee (in the pic) is a small affordable jeep capable of handling off-road terrain and will find customers in India...So, why just make it here and ship it to the USA?

Jeep & SUV market is shrinking in US & other markets. These have become more of a burden on the companies, that's the reason why GM has put up Hummer for sale.

I don't see much of a market of such products in India as these Jeeps would cost hell of a lot & Indian consumers are used to seeing very cheap jeeps(Mahindra & gypsy). So, creating a market for such products in India would be difficult.

But, surely companies can gain a lot from producing here & then exporting.

Actually' date=' why dont they sell it in India? The Cherokee (in the pic) is a small affordable jeep capable of handling off-road terrain and will find customers in India...So, why just make it here and ship it to the USA?

[/quote']

The picture above is actually a Jeep Wrangler. Jeep won't sell well in India. They have very big engines (which I like). But for the indian market  I don't think it will work.

i think chrysler has signed a JV  with some company in india & is going to launch its whole rage of products

I recently met up with an Indian expat, who works for Chrysler. He said that there is a strong chance of Mahindra getting the job. They were also thinking of sueing Mahindra for using the Jeep brand here. But I don't think any Mahindra is now called Jeep, it's either Commander, Bolero or Scorpio, but there is a strong Jeep DNA running thru' all it's older vehicle's.

I think these Jeeps will  cross 15L barrier very easily & would be in the region of 25L. As customers in the super luxury segment would like to make a statement with them, whereas 15L would dump them into no mans land.