vibhor

Toyota to launch Corolla Altis Diesel in 2009!!

smiley1.gifHi friends!!..........Toyota is considering a diesel version of the Corolla Altis for the Indian market. The all-new Altis was launched this month with only the 1.8-litre petrol carried over from the previous model. The new Corolla has a 2.0-litre engine for the European market.

It would have been logical to introduce this motor to the Indian market, where diesel luxury saloons are fast gaining popularity. However, the European Corolla has different mounting points for the engine which makes the transplant of the diesel motor to the Altis a complicated process.

This news was there in the latest ACI. It's hard to imagine, how the 1.4 diesel marriage with the Corolla Altis will work out. Will this be costiler than the Innova with a 2.5 heart, or cheaper. I feel this will be a little too contradictory, don't you feel. I feel that the 2.5 transplant from the Innova should work well for the Corolla Altis. If the Innova 2.5 can be had for say 8 lakhs and altis 1.4 for say 13-14 lakhs won't people be scratching their heads? I don't think this will work out.. at all.

Its not the engine size that matters but Indians will not take to it. VW makes 1.4Tsi in all of its cars and this engine puts out 170-190bhp! How would you like that? We have to look at it with open mind appreciating its technology and not the size. Smaller engines can make more power and better efficiency-Hyundai Getz CRDi an example

Read this in ACI.

This is another pointer to the way Toyota seems to be headed. The company seems to have gone bonkers!

1.4L/ 90bhp unit !! What are they thinking, Skoda gave a 90 Bhp engine almost a decade back.

If at all this engine is offered, 8L is all Toyota should be demanding for Altis.

@DD, Innova's engine would not be ideal for Corolla, its lethargic, low on efficiency & displacement is more oriented for load carrying. For a Corolla, this would be only adding bulk!

good to hear about altis D

but they should not work on 1.4l engine which will be underpowered.

they must put a 1.9 or 2 l engine to povide 130 to 150 bhp

already optra magnum is there with 121 bhp..

well corolla altis with a 90 bhp diesel engine will still sell cause it is a toyota and according to me 100 bhp is decent enough for a car like altis...lets see how quickly toyota plants the bomb in the d segment !!!

Although the 1.4 diesel would be a bit underpowered for a car in the D segment but it will compensate performance by giving very good mileage figures and 90-100 bhp will be ok for a chauffer driven car. And for the enthusiasts, there is the 1.8 petrol available. As getting the 1.4 engine in Altis is a simple task, the costs woldn't be too high. Let's see what Toyota does..

This news was there in the latest ACI. It's hard to imagine' date=' how the 1.4 diesel marriage with the Corolla Altis will work out. Will this be costiler than the Innova with a 2.5 heart, or cheaper. I feel this will be a little too contradictory, don't you feel. I feel that the 2.5 transplant from the Innova should work well for the Corolla Altis. If the Innova 2.5 can be had for say 8 lakhs and altis 1.4 for say 13-14 lakhs won't people be scratching their heads? I don't think this will work out.. at all.

[/quote']

Stop looking at the engine cylinder volume. See what it can do. All new Honda City G3 has 1.5L engine. Fiat's 1.4L T-jet can pull faster than many 2L engine on Indian roads. Skoda, VW will also start rolling smaller engines with higher power and torque.

@Opendro, you are right when you say "smaller engines with higher power & torque", but this Corolla engine seems small only & devoid of "high Power &  Torque"!

There was still room for some punchy diesel engines as market has grown & matured & customers were scouting for performance diesels.

Good to hear but how the 1.4l engine will suit for a D-segment car. Swift has a 1.3l diesel with more power and torque than Logan 1.5 diesel. But on our trip to Munnar in kerela, Logan had five on board with luggage and swift with four and two bags. But over there Swift struggled to pull and Logan was doing great. 

opendro CC does matter when there is more weight. I've always wondered how Uno, palio can pull cleanly 5 and the swift cannot do it while all three had Fiat engines, simply because of CC, One of my mechanic friend explained me these terms.

Great news. I think there isn't any need of any controversy in Toyota's plan to implant the 1.4 L D-4D engine in the Indian Corolla. Toyota is doing the same thing in some European countries like Ireland where I live now.Here most of the roads are in the 120Km/h range and these Corollas with 1.4 Diesel engines do not make the driver feel short of power. Please check the link below to get the facts. You can even look at the 1.4 L  petrol version also and have a comparison.