arindam_sg

Tata Safari

welcome arindam sq!

nothing has been reported in any magazine about the possibility of a makeover...

the few negatives i can think of wud be quality of interior plastics, overall fit and finish..build quality could be an issue and so could be reliability.

its great for the highways..backseat is terrific.

wait for a few more posts to learn more...

I salute you for your spirit & sincerity, this is really commendable stuff FRG.

Otherwise, I have noticed one peculiar thing in Members views, that which ever car they own, they just can't listen or talk about its negatives. Really Great!

@Arindam, well, Safari is long overdue for a revamp, but Tata seems to be sleeping over it. Now, Tata's focus would be on soon to be launched Indicruz.

But I do anticipate a facelift by the mid of 09.

Planning to buy 2.2 EX... is it a good buy for the price?

Kudos to FRG For his frank and forthright views firstly.

arindam_sg Try to bargain hard with the dealer and derive a  huge discount, as the Safari buyers and fans dwindling  at the  Tata showrooms.

according to me, the negatives are fit and finish, overall quality, non-reliability, not good for the city due to large turning radius and poor low speed response/turbo lag and boot seats not good for even short journeys and 2.2 engine not very refined.

the positives remain fantastic ride quality, good interior space, nice AC, comfortable seats.

Oh yes, here comes the man, I was wondering the whole day as to where is the master of  3(Scorp., Saf., Innov.)!

Reliability is indeed a very big factor to be considered while choosing Safari.

Regarding the launch, I once saw in ACI before that new Safari is expected but not in the near future. By this they mean that may be after 2010. I would suggest you Mhawk over Safari as Mahindra has a slight edge in reliability than Tata. If you don drive(Chaffuer driven) and don worry about higher servicing cost(I've heard that Safari's servicing costs are higher) and comfort is your main priority then go for Safari else Scorpio. Do keep us updated of your purchase.

hahahaha speed, what a tagline for me: "here comes the man"!!! funny !!!

well here, it has nothing to do with me having the innova and scorpio but it has more to do with the safari.

i thing i must say that i was not too keen on my brother purchasing the safari but now after a few months, i have realized that there is some feel good factor to it that i prefer it over the innova, in case my mHAWK is not available. reliabilty and maintainence is a problem, so is rattles and squeaks but that is "standard" with the vehicle! if you keep this attitude and dont mind certain noises here and there, i dont think you will face any serious issues. i mean, it has not left any of us stranded on the road till now (it is 10 months old now). i complained that the driveability is poor in city but still, it is better than the innova!

I have heard of several problems from the safari owners even when its brand new. The car makes noises when driven over rough roads and the NVH levels are very high. Reliability, braking, handling are also areas of concern. However it has very comfy rear seats. Still dont buy it and go with either Scorpio or Innova.

@ speed: yes speed, the innova is at the bottom of my list because i love driving and it is the MOST boring to drive among the trio. but for passengers, it is the best.

my new 2.2 safari did not leave me stranded, my old 3.0 safari did. my 2.2 is just a few months old! yes, the hawk is my personal favourite.

@ hsb sx4: you have heard right buddy. i think the panels of the safari are not well put together. the make a whirring noise on high gears and low speed and rattles on anything but smooth roads. NVH is low compared to the hawk but a bit better than the innova at high revs.

@ arindam: i would suggest you the innova if you are chauffer driven or reliabilty is your top priority. dont mistake me, the scorpio is very reliable but small electrical issues can creep up after a few years.

else if you drive yourself, head to the mahindra showroom and atleast test drive a hawk.

Had taken a test drive when it was launched. Seemed pretty quiet to me. May be over time it gets these issues. Never drove the mhawk though.

Is the difference in turning radius very high between the safari and scorpio? From what i knew, scorpio was a better city car bcos the 3 litre safari was slow in its pick up at the low revs which they solved using VTT.

I had been to Mallik Motors in Hyderabad yesterday to inquire the prices of Safari and Sumo Grande. First off the guys were least interested in attending to the customers. There were few of us waiting for some one to attend to but all the staff seemed to be busy with something. Anyways, I got hold of some one to get me the list of prices and asked him about the discount and he says it is 8 k corporate discount for Safari and insurance free for sumo and thats it. I asked him Mahindra is giving lot more discount on their scorpios and I see lot many scorpios on the road and I can hardly count any safari or sumo grandes on road. He looked at me as if 'if you want to buy there go and buy there' and said 'sir this is our company policy'.

Anyways, looks like there is hardly any discount on Safari and Tata guys are least interested in selling their products.

Like I said earlier, the guys were least interested in attending, if this is the attitude they show, I cant imagine what would be their A**.

The TATAs are not giving much discounts on Safari and Grande because they do not need to. Both these cars are already priced very competitively, much below their competitors. If you compare the prices of Safari/Grande with Scorpio, and Innova then you will find that there is substancial difference in their price.

With the 3 L Safari and the Scorpio then, Tatas used to compare EX (mid model) with the scorpio top end and so the price was lower. Even in terms of features, these well matched. Scorpio did not have features like those available in the Safari VX. Is that the case even now?