vibhor

My Maruti 800 DX (03) 13k Kms review!!+pics!!

smiley1.gifHi friends!!!...so after 13k kms on my 800 here am giving a short review of it!this is first review of my car here! ...hope you all will like! :-)smiley17.gif

So, I bought my MARUTI 800 DX on 31st Dec 2002!..before buying the car i was confused between
Maruti Alto Lx and Maruti 800 DX!...at  that time Alto was just launched!...so i didnt knew much about it that
how will it get response in market...and also in my budget of nearly about 3lac i was getting base model
of Alto which came with almost which was available in 800's base version!!n the changes
was just its refreshed looks!...without any special features!!...
...even it didn't had A/C!!..so where the 800 DX was loaded with small features like
A/C and centre console and other interior body parts were also not exposed!..like
in base alto or 800! ..so finally i decided to buy MARUTI 800 DX version from AALIANZ Automobiles New Delhi
Safdarjung Encl.!!smiley17.gif

EXTERIORS -

As u all will be knowing the very first 800 ..so this version is far more better than that
800!...from the front the car has very plain looks, I  like those rectangle type headlamps(even better than zen!)
with the circular pattern grille between very much better than previous one!
it would have been more better if bumpers were integrated!..anyways!
Bonnet is also very plain without any lines!...not to my taste!

From the side view of 800 looks nice....but it has quite big panel gaps!which i never like!
the car came with only one ORVM i.e driver's side but i 've fitted another on passanger side also!
Plastic quality of small bits is not up to the mark!!
MS 800 comes with 12inchers!...and i have not changed them to bigger ones!lolz!
..all i've done to wheels is that i've fitted the sporty looking 3spoke wheel
covers!smiley17.gif

...ok so lets come to the back of car!!..on the exteriors, acc. to me this part looks
best!....see those nice rear lamps!(but newer one are clear n more better!)  and few stickers of BS II , 5speed MT etc etc..
not that bad! and the boot opening lid is easy to use.
MS has provided an extra parking/fog lamp behind the rear window which is really useful sometimes!smiley17.gif

INTERIORS -

Well, personally speaking interiors are much better..one can expect!!!..one can expect
from the cheapest car on earth!
First time u wil feel dashboard plastic quality poor!...but slowly u get used to it!
..dashborad has very limited storage space but adequate atleast for me!
..all controls are within drivers reach!which is very good thing!
A/C cools the cabin quite quickly but takes bit long time to cool rear fullly!!
..and also its very noisy on higher  speed levels!
Music system is very low positioned !!....i've to take my eyes off road to opertate it!
phew!but thanks to the li'l remote control!!smiley1.gif
I've got also got some useful features in DX version such as Coin holder,covered interior panels,
door armrest!, Ashtray etc!
The Dashborad relects very badly on windshield!which is really a problem!
The Wooden Finish on my car is an aftermarket job!...really it has brighten up interiors very much!
...whenever i see dash sometimes i feel am sitting in a merc E !!lolz!
Instrument cluster behind steering is nice...n this new one with some designing is even more
nice looking!....the speedo has limit of 150kp/h!..but dont know will the 800 be able to do
whopping 150kp/h!!!!..
The 13k kms shows the trouble free distance covered by my lovely 800!!
The fuel gauge needle very rarely goes down to point "E" i.e.Empty !!...
but the engine gets quite hot after few kms!... still it never goes to point "H"!

yeah!i forgot about steering!...its accurate!...even without power!..its non P.S!
plus because of its small dimensions car is very very easy to use in heavy bumper to bumper city traffic!
..plus short turning radius is a boon in city when making sharp "U - Turns"!

The front seats are quite comfortable and have reasonable front legroom!the gearshifts are quite short!
The rear seats are really comfortable for a small li'l car like 800!..mainly cause of its quite soft rear suspension!
which provides great ride comfort!

PERFORMANCE AND FUEL EFFICIENCY-

Well, what performance u can expect from this small car??..but still it has adequate performance in city driving
but on the highways it need some more horses, i feel..and u can easily feel body roll above 70kph on straight road! !..but anyways only sometimes i drive it on highways
but performance is not that much concern for me!...i drive mostly in city thats why!

My Maruti 800 with 28 ltrs of fuel tank gives me very decent fuel economy figures!..that is
about sometimes 14 Kpl in city driving and on Highways a great figure of about 18kpl which can stretch
up to about 19kpl!!!

PROBLEMS FACED TILL NOW --

well,not so much problems!...but if there were, then Maruti's excellent customer service has always kept me happy
and proud Maruti customer!....

#The very first problem in my car was the front left tyre puncture!..i got it fixed but after year it again
blowed twice!!!..means total of three times!smiley18.gif

# Second problem was minor!..actually it was of my broken wiper blade!..which they fixed for Rs.70only!smiley4.gif

#Third problem was that my car's underbody started corroded!!..i quickly got it fixed and painted anti rust paint!smiley1.gif

#Fourth problem was that suddenly my car's battery stopped working!smiley11.gif....but its okay!...i had to replace it after 5yrs!

#Fifth problem is the current problem in my car's rear drum brakes!..which are not so effective and rear right
automatically got locked it self while other three were normally working.!!smiley3.gif

ACCESSORIES INSTALLED --

I have installed quite a few acc. in my car!...

#New door lock pins

#BANG AND OLUFSEN MUSIC SYSTEM!lolz!smiley36.gif..just kiddin..Sony Xplod MS!!

#Wooden touch on dash

#Wheel Covers

#Left side ORVM

#Rear Parcel Shelf

# Centre Console CupHolder

#New Seat Covers

#New Steering Cover

#Ambi Pure Perfume

#side guards on bumpers

#four sun shades

I LIKE IT!!.........smiley4.gif
#All controls are within drivers reach!

#Good visibilty from driver's seat!

#Very short turning radius!

#Steering quite direct!

#It has got quite comfy rear seats!

#Because of short dimensions it proves to be a great city car!

I DON'T LIKE IT!!......smiley7.gif
#Dash reflects badly on windshield!

#Interior light not so effective!

#Very small boot space!

#No rear door pockets!

#there was no rear parcel shelf!anyways!

#rear brakes not too good!

#big panel gaps outside!

#loose bumpers!

#Body parts rattle too much!!..as ACi says it comes standard in every maruti car!!

I RATE MY CAR! ---
here am rating my car and trying not to be partial!........

# EXTERIORS  ----- 6/10  ....because it has very plain and simple looks outside n not to everyones taste!

#INTERIORS    ---   7/10  .....because they are much much improved ...as i 've already said that they are nice
                                           if kept properly with little care n  maintinance!plus lookin more good with wood finish!

SAFETY        -----     5/10 .....There is almost no safety feature in 800 except seatbelts!...but i still feel it more safer than Nano!

ENGINE,PERFORMANCE&HANDLING --- 7/10 Nice 12 valve MPFi engine provides adequate performance for this l'il car!
                                           ...performance on highway is not something to write home about!...n handling good in citydrive but on highway
                                              err..not that good!..and u can feel body roll above 80kph easily!

RIDE QUALITY  ----  7/10   ....great ride quality for such a small n cheap car with nice rear suspension!

BUILD QUALITY -- 5/10      ...the car is not that much dtrong i feel!...it easily gets dents with small hits!

VALUE FOR MONEY 8/10  .....great car for this price n DX version for 2.7lac with nice features but could have been little more cheaper!

FUEL EFFICIENCY     9/10  .....Excellent fuel economy!

OVERALL EXPERIENCE --

I had excellent experince with my car!!...those 13k kms has been trouble free and maruti's great network is a boon!
@Rs.2.7lac for MARUTI 800 DX (03) was not a bad deal i think!and now am proud owner of MY MARUTI 800 n my next car
will also be from MARUTI's stable!!!Cheers!!smiley4.gif

frontbg0.jpg

enginebayss8.jpg

dashvo5.jpg

backlightsidesr4.jpg

acventsnu9.jpg

AC cools cabin quite quickly but takes bit long to cool rear fully!!smiley1.gif

instclustergb8.jpg

Nice instrument cluster design!!smiley17.gif

insidedoortt2.jpg

Front doors open wide enough!!smiley1.gif

headlampsidexf8.jpg

gearshiftup7.jpg

Here is the 5speed MT gearstick of my 800!!smiley17.gif

fuellidiy0.jpg

I must say 800 is very fuel efficient!!smiley4.gif

intlightsl3.jpg

Interior light not so effective! :-(

irvmuz3.jpg

Good rear visibility!!smiley4.gif

marutiaci0070001hg0.jpg

rearseatsss8.jpg

Rear seats qiute comfy!!smiley1.gif

marutiaci0001ss1.jpg

More pics to follow...........smiley1.gif
vibhor2008-10-18 11:50:37

storageacventfq4.jpg

Storage space behind AC vents!Really very nicely placed and is very useful for keeping small things!!smiley20.gif

wheelzv9.jpg

This is the 3spoke wheel cover!!looks sporty to me!! :-)smiley4.gif

THANKS to all of you for your time for reading the review on my car!!smiley17.gif
vibhor2008-10-18 11:46:03

Great car buddy! Yes I really like what you have done to the interior, with the wood finish. Ya those 3 spoke wheel covers look super. They also cover up most of the wheel so you can't see those "holes" in the wheels. From far away I'm sure people will think they are alloys.smiley17.gif  What does the sticker on the back window say? Something village.... I am supprised to see that there is no trip meter, I thought every car had one now. Oh and very cute little dog you have hanging from the mirror.smiley1.gif 

Great detailed review Vibhor.

Seems you don't drive much as mileage is only 13k.

Nicely maintained car, you sure take a lot of care.

I have a 800 myself, but it is 94 model, clocked over 2L Km. But usually remains with the driver, so maintaining in pristine condition is not possible.

Anyway Im really happy with it, service & repairs/spares come cheap & FE always amazes.

You have tastefully accessorized your car, I have kept mine to a bare minimum.

So, which new Maruti are you eying!

smiley17.gifTHANKS ZAL buddy for your reply!!

i too love the wood finish!!..ya...those wheel cover looks just like alloys from a distance!...and yes buddy that yellow sticker on the rear window says "Its  a Fun n Food Village!"...actually fun n food is a amusement park here in delhi!..

ya!!..there is no trip meter in it!..actully they should be standard in every car now as you said!....

yup!!ya...thats a cute li'l dog!..i've hanged it there so it reminds me of my cute l'il pet dog everytime!!smiley17.gif 

EDIT : oh speed just read your post buddy!THANKS speed!...actually i was planning for SX4 earlier but its launched now n i am not in hurry to buy next car ...will buy it only by 2009-10.......so till then maruti will lauch many other great cars!smiley17.gif
vibhor2008-10-18 12:25:26

Nice review Vibhor.

800 will be definitely safer than Nano. Well 800 is like a complete car when compared with Nano. 800 is the ultimate city car. It's steering is light for a non powered unit and as you said it is direct and can be judged easily. An 800 definitely cannot do150 but i managed a 130 on a carb engine. Overall it is a great city car and can be taken on highway too.

what a great preview vibhor!the car is so well maintained!interiors jazzed up.!nice wheel covers too.......good going buddy!so whats your next baby?!don't say bye to this one anytime soon!!

siddhant2008-10-18 16:15:29

thanks alot siddhant buddy!!...as i said in my earlier post also that am not in hurry to buy next car....will buy after two three years only so till then am sure there will be more new cars to choose from !!...n yeah!!...ill never say buy to this one!..even after when my another  new car comes!!smiley17.gif 

Thanks anjan and archit!!

yes anjan!i agree!as you said that its the most manoeuvrable car in congested cities even  after 22 years.!...and also its great that maruti always gives it small facelifts to keep it up to date!....am thinking if incase i've to change its head or tail lamps i will change them to the one which are new version! smiley17.gif

nice work vibor ...keep going...!!
but 1 suggestion : loong review for a small car..
make your review short & beautiful ...>>
Thanks yamaha!

This is the first review on my car here thats why it quite long!...and nothing matters if the car is long or small!...one can even write four page review on maini reva!..but it should be clear and expressive!.

..and only "interior,exterior and performance "sec is in para. other things i've written in points so its easy to read!i hope!...smiley1.gif
vibhor2008-10-20 07:19:04

nice work vibor ...keep going...!!

but 1 suggestion : loong review for a small car..

make your review short & beautiful ...>>

Thanks yamaha!

This is the first review on my car here thats why it quite long!...and nothing matters if the car is long or small!...one can even write four page review on maini reva!..but it should be clear and expressive!.

..and only "interior' date='exterior and performance "sec is in para. other things i've written in points so its easy to read!i hope!...smiley1.gif
[/quote']

yes...buddy u have done a good work..

but its only a suggestion....

its easy for the readers if its ...precise..

with regards..>>