Silent Thunder

Auto Quiz

Oh yeah' date=' i remeber it now.. Here's the next one:

Which legendary car manufacturer was started as the Swallow Sidecar Company in 1922?

Its been hitting the news for some time now..

[/quote']

It was  Sir William Lyons who was at the helm in Jaguar till the very early 1970's. The ownership of Jaguar was in rock solid hands all these years till Sir Lyons lived. Thereafter the tossing of the ownership began and is about to reach the Tatas now.

Quiz:::::::: Q 1. Which was the first car model that Hindustan Motors (HM) launched in India in 1948 ?Please write its British and Indian names.

Q 2. HM made trucks in India till the 1970's. Which British company did HM collaborate with ? Clue These trucks from the British company are still seen as buses and trucks on Pakistan's streets.

Quiz:::::::: Q 1. Which was the first car model that Hindustan Motors (HM) launched in India in 1948 ?Please write its British and Indian names.

Q 2. HM made trucks in India till the 1970's. Which British company did HM collaborate with ? Clue These trucks from the British company are still seen as buses and trucks on Pakistan's streets.

good questions sir...let me try...

Q 1

the first car model that Hindustan Motors (HM) launched in India in 1948 -

British name-Morris Oxford ?

Indian name-HM Landmaster?

Q 2.

HM made trucks in India till the 1970's.-Bedford trucks

Not sure of first answer thoughsmiley5.gif

sir can you give me a clue here........was it the first manufactured car or first assembled car????

Just consulted with my grand father....he says this

Q 1

British name-Morris 10

Indian name-Hindustan 10

this car was assembled in india.

the first model to be manufactured by HM was HM Landmaster British name-Morris Oxford

Just consulted with my grand father....he says this

Q 1

British name-Morris 10

Indian name-Hindustan 10

this car was assembled in india.

the first model to be manufactured by HM was HM Landmaster British name-Morris Oxford

Yes I_see you are very right, rather always right .the Morris 10 was assembled by HM as the Hindusthan 10 - you may note that the second "h" after "t" as Hindusthan was soon gone  and it was Hindustan everafter. Even the Landmaster was assembled by HM. It was the Morris Oxford Series II . The Amby is the Series III. Only in the 1960's did HM start manufacturing the Ambasssador in a phased manufacturing programme (PMP) when the Govt insisted that imports of components be stopped - if I am right it was sometime in 1965 that most British parts became Indian ,including the speedo and other dash  meters and warning lights.

good questions sir...let me try...

Q 1

British name-Morris Oxford ?

Indian name-HM Landmaster?

Q 2.

HM made trucks in India till the 1970's.-Bedford trucks

Not sure of first answer thoughsmiley5.gif

Also Bedford is absolutely right sir. They had quality probs and were mostly sold in the Govt sector and as local duty trucks.

Another quiz folks----Q 1 When did Sir William Lyons retire from the helm of Jaguar ??

Q 2. He ( Sir William) was born in 1901. Which year did he pass away??

Q 3. Which other car (other than Jaguars) model was  he (Sir William) also very famous and instrumental  in styling? Clue -- He designed this car before he threw his weight around in Jaguar.

I'm really bad with dates, so I'll leave 1 and 2 for someone else to answer.

And I'm taking a guess with number 3 - he started the Swallow Sidecar Company, right? Would it be the Austin Swallow?

I'm really bad with dates' date=' so I'll leave 1 and 2 for someone else to answer.

And I'm taking a guess with number 3 - he started the Swallow Sidecar Company, right? Would it be the Austin Swallow?

[/quote']

yes Socks you are right ,it was a variant of the Austin 7 (1932 or so)that Sir William designed.

Q 's 1 and 2  are open for replies.

answers to Q1 and 2 Sir William Lyons officially retired in 1972 from Jaguar.He sold Jaguar to BMC in 1966 but was still at the helm. He was not only a great artist but a great businessman. Starting from  the mid 1930's he controlled every facet of Jaguar and was knighted in 1959. At age 84, he passed away in 1985.

I'll now go in for a new quiz

Q1 Did the Ford Model "A" have side valve (SV) or overhead valve(OHV) or overhead camshaft (OHC) engine?

Q2 Which car make and model is known as the automotive symbol of Nazi Power?

Q3  what are the  first and second names of Mr Bentley, who founded Bentley  Motors, U.K..

The answer for Q2 must be the VW Beetle' date=' if i'm not wrong.. don't know the answers for the other ones..

[/quote']

No the Nazis moved in a luxury car brand . The VW Beetle was just to show their helping the cause of the masses.Try again please.

Q1 Did the Ford Model "A" have side valve (SV) or overhead valve(OHV) or overhead camshaft (OHC) engine?

• side valve probably more than 3 litre

• mercedes benz 770 also known as Grober Mercedes (large mercedes) can be seen in several WW2 movies even in the movie Rat Race...
MHV_MB_W07_770_CabrioF_WilhelmII_1932_01

mb6.jpg

Q3  what are the  first and second names of Mr Bentley, who founded Bentley  Motors, U.K.

• W.O.Bentley......Walter Owen Bentley

I'll now go in for a new quiz

Q3  what are the  first and second names of Mr Bentley' date=' who founded Bentley  Motors, U.K..

[/quote']

Walter Owen Bentley

adi you are absolutely right.he started as a railway workshop apprentice,turned to motor trade in London then to racing and aero engine design during WW I. Bentley was at the helm of his company Bentley Motors from 1919 to 1931 after Rolls Royce bought  Bentley. walter lived in near seclusion  during 1951-1971 and sadly passed away in 1971.

• side valve probably more than 3 litre

• mercedes benz 770 also known as Grober Mercedes (large mercedes) can be seen in several WW2 movies even in the movie Rat Race...

i_see fantastic I loved the Merc photos you have posted. You are absolutely right too. The Ford Model A had a side valve engine. OHV engines only came during the early 1950's. The exact engine capacity was in cubic inches then, but its equal to nearly 2800cc. The cubic inches figures I'll post within a few days.

The  automotive Nazi symbol of power  is the 7.6 litre supercharged Grosser Mercedes 770K. Not Grober Mercedes. But very well done i_see. Thanks for the lovely pictures.

thanks for correcting me sir.........i also tried to get a pic grab from movie rat race...was not succesful...will try to post it soon......

in the movie it also has nazi emblem and flag on the car