Silent Thunder

Auto Quiz

Anjan' date=' i wasn't guessing there.. I just dont know how many auto companies are there in shriperumbudhur.. i live near the place.. The car maker you're referring to is Hyundai.. 

[/quote']

Yes, Silent Thunder you've very rightly given the answer - Hyundai commissioned its second plant in Sriperimbudur very recently, to augment its annual capacity to 600,000 cars.

The other two questions are awaiting answers !

Back to the original quiz dudes- the right answers are here::

Ans 1 Its the ubiquitious Morris Minor.

Ans 3 The old Amby plant is at Uttarpara, Dist Hooghly. There's a railway station named Hindmotor, very very near Uttarpara and the HM plant can be seen adjoining the railway line. The local trains mostly run on this route.And Dudes the Ambassador is the longest running production car anywhere in the world- 50 long years since 1958! Classics Monthly, UK (may 2007) featured this car on its cover page story recording this feat of the GREAT OL' QUEEN OF THE INDIAN ROADS!!

The next Quiz friends:Q(1) (a)Which car model is named after a former President of the US?  (B) Which company manufactures these cars?

Q (2) (a)Which city in the USA is known as the motor town? (B) There's a giant, black owned, record (now CD)company in this town.Its name is related to automobiles. What is the name of this record company?

Q (3) Alongwith the Big Three auto companies in the US there was a fourth company till the 1970's. It was bought by a company from among the Big Three. What is the name of the now defunct fourth company?

Q (3)

Yes Aditya, answers to the Q 2 a and b are perfectly right. Your answers to the Q 1 (B) and Q 3 are not right. As regards Ford Motors, this company has nothing to do with Mr Gerald Ford, the US president during 1974-76.

Lincoln, a luxury brand is dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, ex-President of the US and is so named in his honour.

So dudes the Q 1 b and Q 3 remain to be answered.

This quiz is'nt going anywhere. So friends I 'll give many more clues now.

CLUE Q(1)The fourth company apart from the Big Three, was the one that made the Jeep range viz. Cherokee, CJ 5 and so on (Mahindra's collaborator). One car model of this company was also named Ambassador.

CLUE Q(3) Lincoln is a brand owned by one of the Big three companies in the US.

150px-Nazi_Volkswagen.jpg

250px-1961Beetle.jpg

180px-Beetle_1300.jpg

180px-1966beetle.jpg

180px-Mexbug.JPG

This is the legendary Volkswagen Beetle, that had almost a cult-like following.

Q(1) The name Beetle was never used in the UK. In the US the name Beetle was first used in August 1967. What was the original name(after its launch in 1938) of this car?

Q(2) Where did the production of the Beetle continue( two countries)after it was discontinued at Wolfsburg, Germany in 1978 after the sales were plummeting to all time lows?

Q(3) In which state, now a part of India, were Volkswagen Beetles imported,till 1961, without much import duties? These Beetles were so common and had car density almost like the Premier Padminis in Mumbai, in this state.Many survived till the 1970's.Name the state.

1) Volkswagen Type II

2) mexico and some other latin american country

Yes Silent Thunder you're quite close to the right answers. By the way you started this thread - now how about some questions for us from the founder of this thread to whom its existence is owed?

The answers here to the above quiz:-

(1)Its the Type I, that was the earliest model that was followed by Type II.

(2) Its Mexico and Brazil

What about the Ans (3)??

don't know about ans. 3.. but i have an interesting pic question once u give the answer..

It is Goa, would you believe? it was under Portugese rule till 1961. The VW Beetle was the star car there- most were privately owned. There were Ford Zephyr, Merc 180D and many other European cars as taxis.Rarely, would one be able to sight an Indian car registered in Goa.

awesome.. thats the right answer.. and the best part is' date=' they balanced those glasses while the engine was accelerating.. really cool stuff.. 

[/quote']

Thanks Silent Thunder- I hope you will continue the Quiz for some more time please. I'll take a break and answer questions.

Till Silent Thunder takes over I'll pose a quiz questions:-

Q 1.Name any three cars that Sipani Automobiles, Karnataka, manufactured in India between 1976 till date.

Q 2. What is the technical similarity between the Tata Nano and the Volkswagen Beetle?

Q 3. Standard Motors, Madras (now Chennai) manufactured a light commercial vehicle (LCV) till the 1980's, apart from making cars. What was the name of this vehicle that was marketed as a van?

A 1.. The Badal, The Dolphin.. later launched as the MONTANA and the Montego.

A2. They'r both rear engined, if that's what your getting at or do you mean the engine layout?

A3. Based on the LEYLAND 20.. it was called.. surprise surprise.. THE STANDARD 20. Very innovative names I must say.

WHOOPIE... where's my prize??

Ok Lemme try one..

Q.What year was the first recorder traffic related fatality.. and where?

Zavo2008-03-14 08:56:02