vibhor

Peugeot plans to Re-Enter into india!!

Good move! No global manufacturer can afford to miss the Indian market now. These are the same carmakers that once felt happy leaving India, but see how times have changed. Even Fiat learned its lessons the hard way.

Puegeot & Citroen are both reputed car manufacturers & have nice model range.

Citroen is doing good in the WRC scene too, so these compnaies seem to be in pink of health, which is essential to crack a new market as huge investments are required.

well after the exit of peugeot in the days of pal motors,its a good news....they had to enter the indian market someday cause they cant ignore it...anywaysz more cars mean more rivalry which is good for the consumer !!!

Remember the old Peugeot with Pal. A car with high pickup, Fuel efficiency, Handling and stability. It's looks are the worst part. And the even worse thing is when Peugeot left India and made its customers to hunt for spare parts and servicing it. Hope the bad things doesn't happen again.

A good move by peugeot...I hope that by 2012 the car market will be more competitive specially with the hatch, premium hatch and mid segment...smiley17.gif

so we Indian are going to join with range of  varieties  with good quality cars...

Would it not be more sensible to come in with the Citroen brand. The product ranges under the two labels are almost identical. This will avoid the negative image that the Peugeot brand carries.

@sgiitk: they're French!! dont expect too much from them!

Yes by I have the highest regard for the French automotive industry. Who can forget the Citroen DS in the 50's (aka Frog Mobile in the UK). It would be technologically advanced even today!

Also, I owned a Peugeot 205 during 1989-91. It had (if I remember right) an 1124 (or was it 1184) engine and would cruise effortless all day at over 80 mph! A lovely car.

Would it not be more sensible to come in with the Citroen brand. The product ranges under the two labels are almost identical. This will avoid the negative image that the Peugeot brand carries.

Ya... nice comment, its right to come out as Citroen.

Most of the people today recognize this brand, by its success story at WRC.

But not leaving aside the Peugeot brand, as only a few people know that once upon a time 309 D was here.

Also Peugeot designs or concept cars mail forwards are quiet common. People recognize this logo. It

Yes, even I heard that. These m\days almost all the car manufacturers are entering the Indian market. All those who were phased out due to shortcomings and challenges are making their way to the Indian car market because they all feel that Indiaon> is one of the fastest growing car markets in the world.

Peugeot did pack its bags from India at one time but while it was away, it was still here! Confused! I'll clear it out, Peugeot engines were doing duty under the hoods of following cars: Maruti Zen diesel, Esteem diesel & Mahindra Bolero. Their famous TUD-5 was an extremely reliable unit, which proves Peugeot's prowess in Diesel engine manufacturing.

Thanks again vibhor -Peugeot and Renault are rivals in the domestic French market somewhat like Coke and Pepsi in the US.

Peugeot has failed twice in the Indian market -the first time was with the 65 cc Sportif moped (it had a self starter, alloys and battery in the early 1980's). The second failed attempt was with the Peugeot 309 in the mid-1990's.

But it has succeeded with its Peugeot XD series engines (XDP 90 and the XD3) in the Mahindra range of utility vehicles.

We hope Peugeot sets the sales charts afire this time around.

anjan_c20072008-10-23 14:47:05

: UPDATES :

French carmaker Peugeot has made it clear that it wants to have a go at the Indian market once again. Peugeot has already played in this deadly competitive car market way back in the mid nineties where it tied up with Premier Automobiles Ltd (PAL) and launched the 309 sedan which was a terrible flop!, purely because it was an out-dated car and seemed like a clearance sale operation by the French company.

PSA Peugeot Citroen (which is actually Peugeot

Well at this time of slowdown especially in EU and USA, all the companies are going to China and India which are still a good market for these companies as if they will not come then they have to close their companies due to almost no demand..

I would reiterate my earlier comment that they should come in on the Citroen label. The product ranges are almost identical. This would avoid the negative vibes that the Peugeot label carries in India (probably no fault of theirs).

I for one will love to see them in India

sgiitk2009-01-09 08:29:55

I would reiterate my earlier comment that they should come in on the Citroen label. The product ranges are almost identical. This would avoid the negative vibes that the Peugeot label carries in India (probably no fault of theirs).

I for one will love to see them in India
ya i agree with you but then now even if Peugeot comes by itself i dont think that it will affect to large extent but they should come by themselves rather than partenering anybody..

Ya even Citroen will do but personally i feel Peugeot to be superior and its logo is very good..

Good cars - yes - but people in India seem to have a unique set of parameters for selecting cars and most cars are expected to do duty for 10+ years.

6,00,000Rs is still a big amount for most people here (and 15,000$ in the US seems relatively insignificant ) So people tend to give more importance to the maker's reputation in the Indian market than anything else. This will only have a negative impact on Peugeot and "Citroen" would do better as a brand - people don't overlook the past - not when its several years of savings going into buying a new car.