garg.vineet1

Getz prime/u-va/swift

Hi guys

i am looking to buy my first car around diwali. Some of main considerations for me are:

1. Mileage and running cost

2. Rear seat comfort

3. boot space

Please suggest me something from 3 mentioned in subject above or some other car.

I am also confused between petrol/deisel/lpg options. I dont intend to drive car more than 600 km/ month but still feel that paying for deisel once might be better off than having to pay heavily for petrol every week.

Please help in taking a decision here.

Vineet

Swift -

Swift Diesel has good mileage more than the petrol version. Also you get this mileage with a superb High torque @low

RPM engine. Swift Petrol has   the  best power in its class, it offers good pull at high

speeds too so better highway driving.

The rear seating space isnt very good for Swift.

U-VA, the largest hatcback in market. Its has 200 mm more space than Swift. Power is decent and comparable to Swift. Decent mileage but lesser than the Swift.  U-VA offers 3 years warranty.

Any Diesel variant will cost your a lakh more than the petrol version. So do your calculations, how  much more do you drive every month and subtract it with the 1 Lakh. You will find your savings.

so thats about it

My only experience in sitting in a diesel car was a Tata Indica, and i found the 'truck' like sound pretty bad. Do all diesel cars, and especially does the swift diesel sound the same?

Also, in terms of maintainance and service costs, isnt a diesel car much more demanding?

Thirdly, the life of a diesel engine...isnt it shorter than a petrol one?

Obviously, for someone like me who has to drive approximately 1700 km a month, the monthly petrol costs are huge. But do the above stated facts still make a diesel option better?

given ur requirements, the swift is pretty much ruled out...it may be the obvious choice for many here but it just doesnt meet ur requirements.

you should choose between the uva and getz..

both score high on cabin space and boot space..

hyundai has better aftersales, but gm is offering very good deals on its cars and i believe they have launched a slightly refreshed version of the uva as well.

with the kind of running you manage in a month, a diesel isnt worth it..itll take you 4-5 years before you start realising the benefits of a diesel.

@dokdindel.

diesels are getting better all the time and the maintenance requirements are now almost on par with petrols..

i cant comment on the life of a diesel but i cant see why it should be any different from a petrol.

if u r doing 1700 km/month, a diesel makes perfect sense.

I will suggest Renault Logan petrol higher end which will be around 5 -6 lacks on road.. You have realy a big space inside and boot,good mileage and maintance also will be low... i heared that face filted Logan will coming in early 2009.The only drawback is it has dull interior.

if you want diesel you can go for swift...

Hi, vineet, as said by Viraj for your kind of requirement swift is out of question., just because worst rear seat. Choice is between Getz and Uva. Getz with it's beige interior and refreshed front looks is a perfect car. Rear seat comfort is equal in UVA and Getz. However I feel Getz boot is bit more spacious than Uva. Getz 1.1 is highly underpowered car for highway driving. For city, it is just ok. So 1.3 is preferable. The F.E. of Getz is around 11-12 in City and 15-16 on highway with A.C. Hyudai has better service network and spares are cheap compared to competitors. GM does offer 3 year service holiday, but it is useful to those whose usage is more. For your usage it is not beneficial, because current generation car runs without any maintainence till 50k kms. So I m biased towards Getz, because I own one and much satisfied with the comfort level in cabin. However, I-20 is on the cards and it is a replacement of Getz. Hyudai may not replace Getz ( Santro & Accent is there after I-10 & Veran), but the I-20 is definitely superior car and worthy of wait. It will be definitely priced higher than Getz.

If you are comfortable with the looks of Logan, it is the best to suit  your requirements.

All the best.

@Vineet- For your Usage petrol is the best bet. I would choose Getz prime over U-va.

@

dokdindel- For your usage diesel is apt. New generations diesel do last for sometime but obviously it depends which segment /manufacturer you buy it from.

As you are not going to drive more than 600kms, buying a diesel isnt a good option. You need to drive atleast 1500kms/month if you want to take benifit of low runnng costs due to lower price of diesel against petrol as the initial investment in buying a diesel engined car is much higher.

Now, Swift fails to fulfil your rear seat comfort and boot space requirements. Otherwise its the best of trio. UVA is not so good product overall and has very low sales. The only car in your wishlist that fulfils your requirements is Getz. Chose between the 1.1 or 1.3 according to your requirements.

Hi guys

i am looking to buy my first car around diwali. Some of main considerations for me are:

2. Rear seat comfort

3. boot space

Please suggest me something from 3 mentioned in subject above or some other car.

I am also confused between petrol/deisel/lpg options. I dont intend to drive car more than 600 km/ month but still feel that paying for deisel once might be better off than having to pay heavily for petrol every week.

Please help in taking a decision here.

Vineet

Hello vineet garg and welcome to this lovel forum!!!,,,well between the choices you have given here i would suggest you the MS swift its great car!...or if you can wait a month then i20 is going to launch n its worth wait!smiley17.gif

2. Rear seat comfort

3. boot space

Hi Vineet, according to your requirements & from your list of choices:

1) for mileage & running costs- Swift petrol.

2) Rear seat comfort- UVA

3) Boot space- Getz.

Confused! Don't worry, if we combine all the features in one car & look a little laterally, Indica Vista Diesel would fulfill all the requirements.

@speed

ha ha....nicely put....if we go strictly by the given requirements, vista seems like a good choice..but then that are a lot of downsides to it too.

@vineet garg....do check the Vista, but do not expect it to match the others in terms of refinement, build quality, fit and finish, especially the getz and uva.

reliability could be an issue since its a tata...only time will tell

i think you should go for Getz and it will fit your requirements perfectly and its mileage is near to swift ....for your running i wont recommend you diesel...Getz is not only for boot space but its practical car and is like sedan only from inside as its spacious and new interiors are good so as styling of new head lights

@Speed- I dont think Getz will be discontinued anytime soon. Since gap between i10 & i20 will be there. Maybe a getz 1.1 will continue. Dont Expect i20 to be cheap!! On road price will surely be above 5.5 lacs for base IMO.

@Karan, even if Getz is not discontinued, its already in a situation that's not much diff. from being discontinued! The car is a complete failure, resale is junk!

Why would one want to get stuck with this car particularly, when there are already superior choices abound!

i20 would be priced ~ 50k more than Getz, which I think is fine, as car is bigger in dimentions too.

i think the problem of which car to suggest would be solved if we knew the budget that vineet is working with....

only then would it make sense to wait for the i20 although i wud urge vineet to  wait and spend the extra bucks if he can.

@vineet...hey we havent heard from you...do tell us ur budget..

@speed

i agree the resale of the geta z would be terrible after the i20 is launched but its definitely not junk....its a very good car to own..the only problem is the price...the car by itself is excellent..

smiley5.gif

Sorry guys..i was travelling most of last 2 weeks so couldnt write here. I test visited showrooms of hyundai, chevy, tata, fiat, maruti this weekend in my quest to buy my first car. I almost decided on Getz Prime 1.1 top model, but today a dealer told me that Getz is not selling anymore since i20 will replace it.

I can not wait for i20, i need to buy car very soon now.

My budget is 4.5 lacs and getz 1.1 model seemed to fit in perfectly at 4.4 lac with pretty good space inside!!  But now i am confused!!

So, any suggestions on this topic now???