raceon

New Suzuki ALTO preview

hi guys just saw this article on the autocarindia website smiley1.gif

This is the car that Maruti hopes will challenge the Hyundai i10. Known as the Maruti A-Star smiley10.gif in India, as it will not replace the Alto here, the car for the Indian market will also have wind down windows and other modifications made to it.

marutisuzukialto20081nn2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Power comes from the same 67bhp 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol engine however and it

Good small preview!

To me this looks to a winner from every angle, though will have to see the Indian version for driving dynamics ie. ride & handling, as these are going to be major differences.

A-STAR looks cool and futuristic.  Looks like Chevrolet SRV, or more like the Fiat Grande punto

0.3 drag coefficent is superb, but it only good when you travel at high speeds. But A-star does not have a powerful engine, so considering that the drag coefficent does not play a big role.

It would be good if maruti gives a more powerful engine.

0.3 is good even at moderate speeds as resistance is lesser and 65bhp is more than enough for highways...It can easily do 120 and may top 145-150kph...Power is not everything man...If you want more power, the Splash and Swift are there for you

if priced betw 3.5 - 4.5 , isnt it a bit pricier for a 3 cyl engine ? santro costs the same i think . if alto replacement , it should cost 3.5 , max 4 for top end , on road price . wht u thnk . plz enlighten

i dont think MSIL will phase out alto so soon!...A-Star will launch this Nov!..

..so i think they will continue alto and this one will be priced bit higher than it!..just like its in the case of santro and i10!!

It should be priced in the range of 3.5 to 4.5 lacs and this will put it in direct competition with the I10. As for the Alto, Its not going anywhere in the near future as its one of the strongest horses of MS.

well if this 1.0 litre astar is going to be with i10, then what will splash do..From the very beginning when ACi mentioned that this will be i10's competitor ,i am thinking that what will splash do..Astar is altos replacement right in rest of world so how can it compete with Santro's replacement coz alto was never santro/wagonR competitor coz alto is basically 800's replacement..

And on design part though being MS it will be successful but designing isnt that good as i10..The rear looks like mini swift so nothing new but front looks bit odd..it doesnt looks aggressive nor Cute...i10 though simple looking looks good..and i am sure that interiors will be no where near i10..but still lets see..

@Lineshshah, heard from you yesterday too, good info. Could we know the source please?

2.7L for the base model seems attractive but is the 800cc from Maruti 800 ie. is it the old unit  itself?

Also, development of 650cc is good news.

yup!!!really great news lineshshah!!...hmm...its starting from Rs2.7 lacs!...so are there any plans to discontinue present alto!??!...i don't think so!!

@speed : yes!...i also think same!..its from 800 only! :-)