Mumbai-Pune expressway will have a new speed limit of 100kmph. Two lane

highways will be limited to 60kph, major district roads, urban arterial

roads and urban distributor roads will have a limit of 50kph and access

roads, 30kph.

The associated department should have made these changes before, but

better late then never. Cars are getting faster and safer and adhering

to the current speed limits will get us nowhere in a hurry. Not that

the traffic, roads, cyclists, slow moving trucks and animals will let

you get anywhere in a jiffy, raised speed limits or not.

i think mumbai-pune expressway had this limit of 100 from before only..

no. it still is 80kph limit on expressway. but i think apart from the maruti 800, alto and slow moving jeeps all other cars travel at 100 - 120 kph. thats my observation so far.

Well 80Kmph is good enough for over roads. Most of the cars in India handle best at ~ 80kmph, this is due to the fact that chassis & suspension systems are recaliberated for Indian roads keeping in mind bad road conditions with a result cars loose high speed composure.

Ride height is increased & higher profile tyres fitted, this is to provide a pliant ride, but handling deteriorates.

I have driven cars across segments & speeds of 80 -100kmph are best suited to cars here, anything more & control rapidly declines.

ok so i might have seen those 100Km speed limit boards on Vadodara-Ahmedabad national expressway

yeah buddy only on our A'bad Vadodara express highway we have that speed limit else have 60/80 kph  limits so its a nice move by govt with new roads being developed too. but one thing they need to look is that two wheelers, cattles, padestials cause more accidents on these highways which needs to look after and stop them gettin on restriced highways.

Do Indian road's need speed limit's...the condition of the roads doesn't permit speeding...the road's are self limiting in speed. After the recent downpour, here in Chennai, the roads look like the Lunar surface. Why spend soo much tax payer's money and launch Chandrayaan-1, come photograph the Chennai road's to get an idea...is there water on the moon? Oh yes, lotsa sewage overflow's and slush.

on the mumbai pune express highway atleast, there should be speed limits according to the lanes. the right lane- 100 kmph, middle lane-  70 kmph, left lane- 40 kmph (trucks). also, heavy vehicles should not be allowed in the right lane even for overtaking. this rule, though present, is not followed.

Is there even anyone to check speed limits .I remember in 03 an octiva may be crusing at 180kmph on pune-Mumbai expressway as we were travelling at 120kmph in a Gypsy.

80kmph is the ideal speed for a relaxed and safe driving. With new four lane roads all over, the slow moving traffic(lorries, trucks ,etc) don't have enough skill to judge the speed of vehicles(more than 100kmph maybe). They misjudge the speed of a car. So 80 is ideal, 100 not bad though. If you go above that, you need to apply brakes more often.

There are enough patrol cars on some highways here. But they are too busy(Actually begging...) with the trucks and tourist buses. I could always see a patrol vehicle parked on the side and collecting money.

Rubbish move as I dont think that in India any body bothers to observe speed limit or any body checks it. What those dumb headed and could-not-care-less  babu's sitting in ministry should do is to improve road rules compliance, strictly enforce the driving licence granting rules. Penalise the offending drivers including those babu's of RTO and policemen who are just interested in extorting bribes to look the other way and even from law abiding (few) drivers. 

Driving conditions in India are a joke elsewhere. I recently saw a Top Gear TV show in which Jeremy was laughing that in India people can get a driving license by taking a driving test lasting just 5 minutes. (What he did not know that one does not even need to goto RTO office to get a license, if one has a good tout)

Driving and road rules compliance by all concerned will increase safety, reduce driver's tension and fatigue, road rage and accidents and it will also increase the average speed.

Who is going to implement these speed limits? There is hardly any law enforcement on our roads and unless there is, along with disciplined driving from us, drivers, these speed limits do not make any difference. People are not even willing to wait for their signal to turn green, instead they look at the signals meant for other roads in the same junction and when that turn orange from green, off they go!! Its a shame for us Indians.

We Indians observe complete 'Democracy' on the roads - means - everybody is free to do whatever he likes. Rules be damned.

still Mera Bharat Mahan

yea very true

perfect example of democracy!!

A really bad practice in our country is driving on the wrong side on a 4 or 6 lane road, in order to avoid taking a 'U' turn that is long. Many accidents are taking place because of this. These peoples won't change and what we can do on our part is drive carefully and safely, and 80 is the ideal speed for these type of circumstances.