hogslayer

Monoshock or twin shock

What sort of rear suspension do riders in India prefer on their bikes.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of rear suspension do riders in India prefer on their bikes.

• Monoshock
    • Twin shock absorbers

twin shocks are good only when they that nitrox suspension(don't know the exact name of that suspension!!!) kind tat on offer in the pulsars !!!!!!! for driving on bad roads and comfort the mono shocks tend to be a lot springy in action which i don't like, but the twins like the pulsar kind are so much better to ride on rough which dont throw you of your seat that easily !!!!

Monoshocks are used cuz in the normal 2 shock setup, both the suspension sets, no matter how accurately they are manufactured dont behave exactly the same way. So while absorbing bumps, there is always some mismatch between them. This is so trivial and does not affect ride that much but being top companies, honda and Yamaha would not want to stint on this... 

I  prefer mono-shock anyday. My bike has mono-shock and its great. It also gives the bike a better look. What is the difference in mono-shock and twin shock, in terms of how they work?

Its the same guys...If you use a single shock, the stiffness is more and if you use two, then the stiffness is divided.

In parallel (as in bikes) the approx stiffness of Pulsar spring is about 5kg/mm for one side (since parallel, total stiffness=5+5) while its 10kg/mm for the Unicorn.

So ride comfort /handing does not depend on monoshock or two shocks but on its characteristics. You can achieve comfort/handling in both depending on the stiffness you select

Sorry if i got a bit technical.

designersf2008-10-26 16:44:07

mono shock results in better centralisation of mass and hence moment of inertia will be less. it results in better handling.

one more point: in twin shock nomatter how hard u try there would be certain variation in the properties of spring. As two springs always differ in characteristics even if made from same material.So  residual unballanced force would be generated while countering surface irregularities in the road.

So its preferable to have monoshock for better handling.

But dont mix it with plush riding: gas shock absorber might provide better comfort than monoshock.

Right Rssh,

So going by what you now say we must all learn from you that really bad roads are worse than motocross curcuits and hence can best be dealt with by motorcycles using twin gas shocks. 

What supreme ignorance..........wow!

hey im sorry! i used edit option - dnt know how its posted twice.....

if you check the second post - u can see the edited time.....
sanzgod2008-11-03 11:24:18

hey im sorry! i used edit option - dnt know how its posted twice.....

if you check the second post - u can see the edited time.....
no probs buddy!..just take care of it from next time!smiley1.gif