elantraboi

Buying an Elantra OR??

I am investing 4 lacs to set a deal for a hyundai elantra 2005(March) model CRDi

Its run 85000+ kms and is in good condition(never met a major accident),

probably manages 11-12 km/L in city.The seller just recently put new shockers and

other services worth 50k on it.The driving experience was also good. Although

it shaked a little when i was braking it at 160kmph.But i guess that would

happen with its age.Its a one-time-buy deal for me,that means i wud not buy

any other 4 wheelie for the next 5 years atleast.

So should i go for the deal or should i invest 1 lac more and go for a new Swift VDi?

Hello elantraboi and welcome to this lovely forum!!!

Well, the elantra you are considering has done so much kms!...and its obvious that the car which has done so much kms will dfinately be problematic in near future!..so its better to avoid it!..i would suggest you to go in for a brand new swift diesel!!..its a great choice!!:-)smiley17.gif

..by the way do you already own an elantra??..i asked because you user id looks like this!smiley1.gif
vibhor2008-10-29 10:56:18

Avoid diesel with more than 60k kms also 85k in three years is too much .Also I think this car comes with ABS so get it checked the braking should be perfect always.

Well you can go in for swift vdi as its the most popular diesel in India but you will have to wait for 4 months also choose optional ABS as it help in Indian road condittions

I agree with both Vibhor & Rssh, its best to avoid diesel with high mileage & that too 80k, the car must be due for some major haul!

Brand new Swift VDI would serve much better.

Hyundai has stopped producing Elantra as of April 2007. Get a good mechanic well versed with Elantra to go over the car with a fine comb and then plonk your money. Reasonably easy to maintain and will give good servide if it's a good example. I can vouch for it, coz I have a Elantra GLS<petrol> for the last 3 years and have had no complaints.

Hi Elantraboi,

welcome to the forum smiley1.gif .. IMO, Elantra is a nice car. Though its not that good at looks, the overall package is very good. But what makes me worry is the usage of the car you are pointing here. As you are saying that its a 'one time buy',go for a new car. Its advisable to think of the used cars only if you are planing to keep the car with you for around 2 or 3 years. Go for the Swift VDi, I'm sure that you will have a peaceful life with the car for the coming 5 years smiley1.gif ...Also, Hyundai s will start giving troubles after 50K Kms.

krace2008-10-30 03:22:39

Hyundai has stopped producing Elantra as of April 2007. Get a good mechanic well versed with Elantra to go over the car with a fine comb and then plonk your money. Reasonably easy to maintain and will give good servide if it's a good example. I can vouch for it' date=' coz I have a Elantra GLS<petrol> for the last 3 years and have had no complaints.

[/quote']

YA I GUESS.. BUT DIS ELANTRA IS SO FREAKIN SEXY THAT ITS GETTIN HARDER

FOR ME TO SET IT ASIDE AND RATHER GO FOR A SWIFT VDi... SWIFT VDi WOULD

COST 5.5+ AND I CAN GET THIS ELANTRA FOR 4.5L ONLY..

WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS CUD IT POSE IN THE COMING YEARS.. MAINTAINANCE WISE? OR OTHER REASONS

THE MAJOR THING FOR ME WITH THIS CAR WOULD BE A ONE N ONLY CHANCE TO

DRIVE A 1900CC SEDAN! I DON'T THINK I WOULD EVER AFFORD TO BUY A NEW 10

LAC CAR EVER.. ALSO I'VE BEEN DRIVING ZEN FOR THE PAST 7-8 YEARS NOW

THAT GETTING A SWIFT NOW WOULD STILL MEAN A SMALL CAR..

Hello elantraboi and welcome to this lovely forum!!!

Well' date=' the elantra you are considering has done so much kms!...and its obvious that the car which has done so much kms will dfinately be problematic in near future!..so its better to avoid it!..i would suggest you to go in for a brand new swift diesel!!..its a great choice!!:-)smiley17.gif

..by the way do you already own an elantra??..i asked because you user id looks like this!smiley1.gif
[/quote']

U KIDDIN ME VIBHORsmiley36.gif

I MADE UP THIS USER NAME JUST FOR THE SAKE OF REMEMBERING IT..smiley2.gif

at 5.5L you would get a 2006 chevy optra or an Octavia. Diesel engines don't have a long life and after a period of 3-4 years its complete problems.

If you would like a new car, then i suggest you wait for the Ford Ikon Diesel. smiley1.gif

WOW.. THE MORE I WANT THAT ELANTRA THE MORE LOGICAL AND HELPFUL REASONS I GET TO STILL GO FOR A SWIFT VDi..ALTHOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO ASK AGAIN TO  "HAMMER"WHO SAID THAT DIESEL ENGINES DONT HAVE A LONG LIFE..MUCH OF 3 OR 4 GOOD YEARS.. BUT DONT U THINK THOSE KIND OF ENGINES ARE GONE NOW.. I MEAN A 2005 ELANTRA WONT BE HAVING AN ENGINE THAT WOULD LAST ONLY 5 YEARS..IT WAS A 9 LAC CAR IF U REMEMBER..

Diesel engines have long life than petrol. But when it gets older, it may require more attention than petrol(but at that time only few petrol engines survive).

Elantra had reliability issues(especially engine).

You mentioned that you won't change it for another 5 years and by that time sourcing spares for it will be difficult as the car's production stopped before a year and only few elantras are on road...

Diesel engines have long life than petrol. But when it gets older' date=' it may require more attention than petrol(but at that time only few petrol engines survive).

Elantra had reliability issues(especially engine).

You mentioned that you won't change it for another 5 years and by that time sourcing spares for it will be difficult as the car's production stopped before a year and only few elantras are on road...

[/quote']

the actual owner may have also sensed this and is trying to sell the car

This is a contrarian view, but then so be it

The car is only 3 years old, and has 85,000 on the clock, i.e. an average of 25,000+ per year. A car of this type of usage is normally well maintained, and should be Ok. One can expect about 150k minimum out of the engine. So I would say that if you plan to sell the car in 2-3years max. and not do more than 10,000 a year it may be worth looking at carefully, but bargain hard!

In my view a relatively newer car with heavy mileage is a better deal than an old car with low mileage.

This is a contrarian view' date=' but then so be it

The car is only 3 years old, and has 85,000 on the clock, i.e. an average of 25,000+ per year. A car of this type of usage is normally well maintained, and should be Ok. One can expect about 150k minimum out of the engine. So I would say that if you plan to sell the car in 2-3years max. and not do more than 10,000 a year it may be worth looking at carefully, but bargain hard!

In my view a relatively newer car with heavy mileage is a better deal than an old car with low mileage.

[/quote']

ACTUALLY THE THING IS THAT AM BUYING THIS CAR FROM MY UNCLE WHO HAS MAINTAINED IT PRETTY WELL, HAS ALWAYS BEEN CHAUFFEUR DRIVEN, AND MY AVERAGE DRIVING IF 30 KMS A DAY WHICH IS AROUND 11000 KMS A YEAR..AN REGARDING THE SPARE PARTS ISSUE ,I DON'T THINK THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH OF A PROBLEM..I MYSELF DO THINK THAT IT WON'T BOTHER ME MUCH FOR THE NEXT 3-4 YEARS..SO AM PROBABLY GONNA GO WITH THIS DEAL AS IT IS A RARE CHANCE FOR ME TO OWN A LUXURY SEDAN..WHICH IS RELIABLE..BECAUSE AS IT IS THERE ARE MANY 2006 OCATVIA OR CHECY MAGNUM MODELS THAT ARE ALSO UP FOR GRABS IN THE CAR MARKET BUT THEY PROBABLY WONT BE AS RELIABLE AS MUCH I KNOW ABOUT THE PRESENT POSITION OF THIS ELANTRA.. BESIDES ITS MY UNCLE WHO'S SELLING ME THIS CAR, SO ITS KINDA LITTLE CHEAP AS WELLsmiley2.gif

@Elantraboi, kindly avoid the use of unnecessary capital letters, stick to forum rules & regulations while posting. Thanks!

Regarding spare parts availability, I think there should'nt be a difficulty for some time as car got discontinued recently, but later on in long run, availability might suffer, with a result parts prices shoot up. Also, Hyundai parts cannot be procured from outside & considering a diesel with high mileage, parts would be needed in quantity!

@Elantraboi,

Go ahead with buying your Elantra CRDI. I own one and have done 60K clicks in last 2 years and till date i have had ZERO problems. It has undergone only routine servicing. The car still performs like new, returns good efficiency(not in the league of fiestas and the vernas though.... remember this is a 2L engine and first gen crdi) and is a stonker of a performer. You will be never left wanting in terms of performance and comfort. It's got great high speed stability as well.

I am unaware of any reliability issues wrt Elantra. The issues AFAIK were only with the Accent CRDI which had a 3 cyl engine.

So if the car in question is a top of the line diesel, then 4 lakhs is a pretty good deal since you know the owner and history of the car.

Hey Elantraboi...

At the beginning you didn't told that its your uncle's car and its familiar to you.. If this is the case, then you can surely go for Elantra at 4 lacs... but keep in mind, Though its a  well maintained car, Its a Diesel..Keep some reserve amount for its maintenance.

A bit off topic.. but a small advice... Dont push the car to its limits for fun... Happy Drivingsmiley17.gif