karanraheja

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI or New honda City??

Im quite confused between the Ford Fiesta TDCI ( Mostly ZXI ) and the ANHC. There is about a lac difference between the two(Obviously the city being more expensive). This car will be for my dad. Purchase is only after few months. Monthly running 1000km/month . Only feature i miss in the ZXI Fiesta is the Airbag.

SXI Diesel is way overpriced for a 1.4 diesel( more than 9 lacssmiley7.gif)

1. I would like to know how expensive are the spares of Ford really?? Maybe some owner could give service cost in break up intervals.

2. I heard 1.6 TDCI coming in near future and obviously more expensive , also mileage might be less than 1.4 TDCI.

3. Only reason im thinking twice about City is the price, interiors are rumours of not that great mileage.

I want decent mileage, interiors ,Airbags and good resale. I know im asking for too much , but hey for more than 8 lacs i do deserve to demand all this. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Karan

P.S : Please dont suggest a Linea!!! For time being let these two be the options.

karanraheja2008-11-02 06:48:35

Hey karan!..your montly running of 1000kms means that you need a diesel!!..overall city wins over fiesta ..but as you said its expenive too!!..but i dont think that new city will be available with diesel!..but fiesta is!..and overall fiesta is also nice!..so i would suggest fiesta it a great driver's car..n mainly because of diesel advantage otherwise it would have been the city!!...smiley17.gifvibhor2008-11-02 07:01:29

Well, Karan Fiesta seems to be a more VFM buy between the 2. 1000km a month does fall into diesel category. Don't worry about the absence of airbag in Zxi, does it have ABS, but on 2nd. thoughts, it not a very high speeding car!

- Ford Fiesta spares are costly than the competition, but would be lower than new City's. From what I know, a normal paid service costs around 3500/-.

-Yes, 1.6 would surely be expensive & mileage would be less compared to 1.4, its main aim would be performance!

-New City is certainly overpriced & Honda is charging a premium for its badge. I'd say this City is for Honda enthusiasts! But interiors should not deter you as they are superior to Fiesta's IMO. Also, from where do you hear about low mileage, ACI has mentioned good figures.

Fiesta would offer best in the class mileage with added diesel advantage, interiors are of good quality, resale is up to the mark & car is adequately safe.

Thanks for all your replies:-

@ Vibhor- I think even ZXI has remote boot release.

@Speed- Overdrive issue mentions City to have mileage marginally better than Sx4. They mentioned 10-10.5 in their test run. 11-12 would have been better.

The City is around 1.1 tonne and also with VTEC in it we cant expect I DSI mileage.

Both Fiesta and City dont score full marks in rear seat comfort. Fiesta does feel a tad cramped IMO. New city has lack of thigh support. Where Fiesta wins is difference in 1 lacs and savings in fuel. Resale might be a problem in Fiesta since its more than 3 years old and City is just in the market. After 5 years when i sell Fiesta surely there will be a drop in resale compared to Honda . But i guess the 1 lac price diff might make it up.

Im not gonna buy the car before March. My friend told me 1.6 TDCI is surely coming in few months. So if the price difference between Fiesta 1.6 TDCI and CIty is close then i might have to pick the City since mileage of 1.6 TDCI might not be great!! So loadsa confusion!!

Remote boot release is common on almost every car thesedays.

1st. City with Vtech engine used to give good mileage, offcourse iDsi cannot be matched.

Fiesta has less interior room than the City.

Resale of Fiesta would be good because of Diesel, still Honda manages best figures.

March is too far, you will undergo many change of minds by then & my guess is if you will wait till then, in all probability, you would pick the City!

I want to buy after March to get better reviews of City and maybe more discounts from Fiesta. 

Then this is too early & premature.

Maybe by then you get smitten by Linea's success or good reviews about it!

Im gonna sell my fiat petra D .The resale is poor. So i might think twice before going for a Fiat. Thats i did mention no Linea for the time being. I dont think its right time to buy Fiesta 1.4 TDCI since Ikon will get that engine and i dont want to take a plunge immediately. Also not right time to buy the City cos of wait period and no TD available. I know its too early but just want to clear the confusion in my mind.

I would not suggest the Ikon 1.4d to you as your budget permits Fiesta. Fiesta is a newer & superior car.

Maybe after the introduction of Ikon 1.4d, the prices of Fiesta 1.4d come down slightly!

Btw, arn't you interested in some premium hatch?

I never said im inclined to Ikon 1.4. I said after Ikon gets that engine i don think it would be right time to get the Fiesta TDCI since They ll surely upgrade Fiesta s engine soon. Nope i need a sedan for sure. Verna s looks dont look good and Airbags are missing in the overpriced Verna !

What about Optra Magnum? It comes closer to the new City!

By then GM would probably bring down its price.

It has everything: Performance, economy, space, comfort, service backup & Airbags!

but magnum diesel will be quite more costlier than city !!....n okay if he stretches his budget too!..but its not that you have bought the car n thats all!..there are other expensis too one has to consider before buying or stretching his budget!...so i will just suggest that whatever budget you have,stick to it ,then consider all other cars which are available in it!:-) smiley1.gif

Well, karan if you want a saloon only n in march then i would suggest you to atleast consider linea!..maybe you faced some probs with your fiat before but this time fiat is improving!as they say.."the Fiat of New Generation!"....n am sure that the joint venture between tata fiat has improved its service quality!

Honda city is great car but no diesel power is its negative!

Refreshed Ford Fiesta is excellent performer n drivers  car!..with nice looks!

Hyundai verna is best in diesel!..but i think its not much modern now!..but still once you can consider it too!

..otherwise till march am sure we will se more facelifts and new cars in this segment!..so its better not to decide anything now....start deciding from Dec-jan onwards so that you can compare more cars and acc. to discounts available with them!All the best!smiley17.gif

vibhor2008-11-02 10:19:15

Magnum Diesel is just a shade costlier than the City, but even beats the Skoda Octy. hollow!

About other expenses, Magnum comes with superb service & maintenance package through which one does'nt have to spend a penny for 3 yrs.

But surely from the Fiesta it is quite a jump if not so from the City (budget wise)!

yes speed, GM is offering a great deal on magnum and as you said that one doesn't have to spend a penny for 3 yrs.!!...but what about after those three years!??!..after the warranty n all finishes?..then i think there might be some expensis which can burn a hole in the pocket!:-) 

Well Im not too sure about GM service. But my concern is the resale and optra has been around for sometime. I dont like the headlamps of the Magnum. Verna would have been on the list if it was cheaper & had airbags. And i aint a big fan of Hyundai!! Right now it would be Fiesta vs City. Lets wait for Fiats progress and decide. 

Karan if you are not planning to buy immediately, then why dont you wait for some more time to see whether Honda will bring diesel engine for the City if you can strtch your budget from 8 lakhs. Or else if they dont have any plans you can go for the Fiesta Diesel or wait for some other new models from some other manufacturers except Fiat Linea.smiley36.gif

@Jimgeo & Speed- Honda is developing a 1.4 Diesel for the City and Jazz also might get it.Problem is it ll take atleast 2 more years!! Also budget wise it ll be 10 lacs without a doubt !! It might not be right time to buy Fiesta TDCI since Ikon will get the engine and Fiesta might get a 1.6 TDCI and also Fiesta might give more discounts after Linea launch.

@Karan, yes I knew about the development of a smaller Diesel by Honda, but it is going to take couple of years atleast coming to India. 1st. Honda would dieselize the CRV or Accord & then Civic, City's & Jazz's turn will come last.

So, as I said it is out of contention for you as you are planning a buy in 1st. quarter next year.

@Speed- Yup, First of all i dont think dad will shell out anything beyond 9.5 lacs on road price!! So City diesel is outta my mind. 2nd obviously it wont be launched atleast for 2 years as i already mentioned. Im more keen on Honda cos if its looks and Honda badge( I could not stop staring at the City in the showroom , especially the headlamps!!) But the price diff between it & competition is a worry and the interiors are a big Let down!!

That is what Im also saying, City diesel is nowhere on the horizon as of now, it was Jimgeo's suggestion, I was clearing his doubts. See, from what little I could garner about you is that you are a car enthusiast & as you said you could not take your eyes of the new City. My suggestion to you now would be, opt for the City with eyes closed, or else you would always repent later.

Certainly it is priced high & interiors are a let down, but as I said its going to go to an enthusiast, otherwise also you would be spending 8-9l, why not stretch a bit & bring what you really like. These kind of purchases are made once in a while, go in for a newer car that is going to stay put atleast for another 4 years as this is the normal life of a Honda product after which new gen. is conceived. Whereas, Ford might decide to bring in a new Fiestra in 2 years time.