karanraheja

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI or New honda City??

@Speed- You read my mind buddy. Thing which confused me more was Overdrive TD of City vs SX4 where they said SX4 is quite close neck to neck. Question is shelling out 1.5 lacs more  worth it?? But obviously SX4 will not be in my list. Im quite sure Honda will work on a facelift City by Next year end -2010 beginning with more people thinking twice on buying it. But yeah as of now almost sold on the City.

Edit : Ford Verve concept (Drool!!) will be the Next Fiesta. But it ll be in 9-10 lacs level . But as speed mentioned another 2 years.

karanraheja2008-11-03 07:48:58

Actually I don't really buy/read Overdrive these days, though its a good Auto. Mag., but somewhat not in league with ACI. I find it rather amatuerish  & out of target. Firstly, I don't see petrol SX4 giving much of a competition to the new City, its only a diesel SX4 later which might run away with City's sales.

Yes, Honda would do a minor job with the City next year ie. 1 year into the launch & bring in features like Climate control, Alloys maybe CD player, etc.

But then is a never ending process, how long can one wait! For now City is a clear segment leader with whatever it has/ not have! Others in the segment will have to think hard with their strategies & products.

I hardly read Overdrive. Just that members from t bhp had mentioned about the same. One thing is for sure we cant expect New City to give same mileage as City ZX. With a VTEC and 1.1 tonne weight. We cant expect more than 10-11 km/ l with bumper to bumper traffic!! SX4 is  not a threat to the City but it ll be more happy now that the New city is pricier so people on budget constraint might go fo rthe SX4. If City does give Alloys & Automatic C.A then its worth it .

@karan , By March u should have Fiat linea for ur shortlist . Its high time we see linea by now i guess . ACI had mentioned it for mid 2007 but what can they do for inablity of Fiat guys to give some prompt date . Since linea for sure does not have any engine above 1500cc they will benefit from the excise duty .

Only thing concerns me about Linea other than the fiat badge is power to weight ratio which will be around 73bhp per tonne , where as the NHC has a power to weight ratio of 105bhp per tonne.

At 1000km per month all but the most die hard diesel heads will agree that  it is a toss-up between Petrol and Diesel. I for one prefer petrol any day.

Comparing the Fiesta Diesel with the City while not exactly comparing apples and oranges does appear to be like comparing Oranges and Kinussmiley2.gif

@Csana- The main reason im not takin Linea into the list is cos i already have a Fiat Petra D . The resale is poor. If Fiat does stabilise it ll take atleast 2 years to set everything up for it. I dont wanna take a risk right now. Im keeping Linea as the 3rd option(rather last) hehe.

@Sgiitk- Petra was  a diesel so the confusion is whether to stick to a diesel & buy a Fiesta or buy a City . Well i  would not comment much on your comparison of oranges & kinus though.

I quite agree that unless the FIAT brand stabilizes in the market it will (and right so) remain a very low priority, esp. if you are (as I suspect) like me, keeping a car for 5 years plus. Unless there are some volumes for the car in the market spares become a big issue. In this regard the two cars you have on your radar should both be Ok.

I normally keep my cars for typically 6-7 years doing about 7,000-8,000km per annum on each of them.

SX4 diesel wont come before April for sure!! Also the wait period ill get my car only in 2009 end smiley36.gif. Also SX4 interiors are quite bad.

If Fiesta 1.6 TDCI comes in New City price range i would rather go for the City , since with 1.6 TDCI we cant expect the same mileage as in 1.4 TDCI.

@Karanraheja: Between the new City and Fiesta Diesel, I would anyday suggest City as it looks like a premium sedan and is a very fresh design. Plus, you get the HONDA badge that promises you trouble free ownership and excellent resale.

Fiesta looks like an entry level mid size car to me and even after the recent faclift, it still doesnt look as goo as City or even SX4 for the matter. The interiors are also a bit cramped. And despite being a diesel engined car, it will loose the battle in resale value. Also, the introduction of the same 1.4 engine in Ikon later will dent its sales.

However, as you have alredy mentioned that you wll buy the car around march next year, it is better to wait for the upcoming cars and make a comparo at the time of actual purchase.

AFAIK, There is no big launches till  April 09 except the Linea..We cant even assure that... Because Fiat is making hype for its Linea for the past two years... Better remove the Fiats from the list...

The new city is a stunner by looks. And, Honda is well known for its reliable petrol engines.Since you are going to keep the car for another 5 years and mileage will not more than 70k Kms, New city is the better option.. It has the best resale value, reliability and performance in its class. Fiesta can nowhere beat the Honda. Also, Now there is a talk about the diesel price hike. If it happens to be true, Then there is no point of buying a Diesel.

Yup the Govt is planning to rationalise the price of Diesel. But no confirmed reports yet. They just workin on it as of now.

@Hsb SX4- Yup the Fiesta is sure cramped, but the New City s rear bench aint great either, there is lack of thigh support. My confusion was 1.5 lacs difference between Fiesta TDCI and City S and also Fiesta D will give more savings with diesel.

Fiesta TDCI ZXI : 8 lacs OTR

Honda City S      : 9.5 lacs OTR

When i sell after 5 years . Fiesta might fetch around 3.5 lacs and City will fetch 4.5 ( 2003 OHC Vtec is being quoted 4.5 as of today). So the cost difference of 1.5 lacs and resale difference where Fiesta loses 1 lac . So total  50k  plus  diesel cost savings . All these calculations are  the confusing factors. But Fiesta will surely be more expensive to maintain in long run. No doubt Honda will be more reliable!!

i would never pay the price what ford commands for fiesta diesel cause i dont want to spend 8-9 lakh rupees on a car which has a power of 68 bhp...if you are already in 10 lakh price category why dont you try optra magnum tcdi cause according to me its a quiet better car than the city and fiesta !!!!

@Mehul- See its not only about Bhp. City ZX had 77 BHP. Ikon 1.8 D had 58-60BHP. But i do get what you are trying to say. When Verna is a tad more expensive with more power why to pay for 1.4 TDCI. I think 1.4TDCI is for mileage concious people.

Im not a big fan of Magnum s front looks. I have already mentioned i dont think i ll be able to shell out more than 9.5. Magnum s resale might not be anything great after 5 years.

@karan: I am also a very price consious buyer and if I were in your situation, I would also have prefered a car that costs less by 1.5 lacs. But in that case, I would have opted for Verna which, although being more expensive than Fiesta, is a great performer, has better space, and is lower on maintenance. And it will surely have a better resale value considering that it is Hyundai.

Verna s looks are not digestable to me. Especially the grille and the rear part not to mention the interiors too. I did mention for me safety - ABS & Airbags need to be standard. Verna doesnt have Airbags!! After having a TD of the New City i guess ill almost be sure about my decision.

well if you want good rear space than you will have to consider cars like magnum,altis,civic cause in the honda city segment their is no car which has good rear space.

ps- logan is not what you want but it has acres of rear space !!!!

Well first of all thanks for your suggestions but i don think Logan is what i wanna buy just for rear space. Right now Fiesta vs City. Budget 9.5 lacs. Cant cross a buck above 9.5 lacs so kindly rule out Altis & others. Fiesta rear comfort was ok! But quite cramped as well compared to Verna & others.

well if you want good rear space than you will have to consider cars like magnum' date='altis,civic cause in the honda city segment their is no car which has good rear space.

ps- logan is not what you want but it has acres of rear space !!!![/quote']

i also so think the same!!

i think fiesta has better rear space!!

@Archit- I personally found Fiesta s rear space to be quite bad for a 8 lacs + car. Even City is bad but its tad better than Fiesta.

@Speed- I appreciate your recommendation, But Kindly do not advice a car in the Ikon, Logan range. Im planning to upgrade & not downgrade.