Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Hyundai's New Engine

Excellent information. One must not forget that the CRDi was a Hyundai product.

I feel that these engines may be too big for the Hyundai India portfolio. I would expect smaller (possibly 3-cyl) versions to show up soon in their bread-and-butter cars, esp. the i10 and then the i20. The Elantra and Sonata can use these engines but these are niche products with very small numbers sold. With the additional taxation on 1.8L+ cars, there is another reason for putting in smaller engines.

sgiitk2008-11-05 05:12:44

IMO Hyundai acquired the tech. & knowhow from Mitsubishi through GM, so literally CRDI was not Hyundai's own product!

Yes CRDI is not Hyundai's own product. They acquire technical knowledge from other companies. Hyundai's CRDIs are not durable like others in the market. Hope this changes with these newR series engines.

Thanks sandy very good news from the S. Korean chaebol. The 2112 cc Peugeot 540DP engines fitted in the older Mahindra MM 540DP (DP for diesel Peugeot) jeeps and several variants gave a power output of some 65bhp. The torque figures, I can't remember. The lugging ability was tremendous as I remember towing a Mahindra FC260D pick-up (forward control) truck, that was under breakdown with 540DP jeep.

2L /184 ps and 2.2 L / 200ps are tremendous. Hyundai has become a very sought after brand in the U.S. too lately, due to strict quality control and reliability.

... CRDI was not Hyundai's own product!

Exactly. Modern common rail diesel engines were a result of research by Fiat Group and later bought and patented by Robert Bosch. The rests are alterations and different names.