hello friends i am new to this forum.

i currently own a tavera.

i have planned to upgrade to an suv.

the scorpio 2.2 and safari 2.2 falls within my budget but i am confused between both.

i dont want the innova because i dont like its looks and i prefer an suv.

before heading for a test drive, i planned to collect as much details as possible about both.

please help me decide which one is the better vehicle overall.

Hi Nike, welcome to the forum.

There are couple of threads on Safari & Scorpio, do check them as both these vehicles are discussed in detail there.

Please elaborate on your requirements for us to have a fair idea, to be able to guide you better.

On the outset:

-Safari 2.2L comes cheaper than Scorpio2.2L

-Safari is more spacious & comfort oriented

-Scorpio is more fun to drive & I think can deal better offroading to Safari

-Scorpio M-Hawk offers a host of new features

-Scorpio is cheaper to maintain & more reliable too

-Downside of Scorpio is its handling at high speeds.

Hi 

niks_123 welcome to the forums.

If you are not driving and if it is comfort that you prefer, go for Safari.

Scorpio is fun to drive, with its compact dimensions.Scorpio is more reliable than Safari. Scorpio is more efficient too. But Scorpio's handling is scarier at high speeds.

Decide yourself.

hi niks and welcome to this forum. Both the suv's are gr8 products. if ur lookin to drive urself and some offroading too then go for Scorpio or else Safari for comfort  and space. And yes Scorpio is a bit shakky on heigher speeds but still a damn good car frm Mahindra. Test drive both and decide.

hey niks, you can find many similar topics on scorpio v/s safaro on this very forum. it has been a hot debatable topic until few months back. i will suggest you the scorpio 2.2 but i will also mention the pros and cons of both for u:

safari 2.2-

+ space

+ ride quality

+ airbags in VX

+ best in class rear seats

+ top mounted rear AC in VX

- huge turning radius which is a pain in the city

- unresponsive at low revs or poor bottom-end response

- engine not quite refined

- reliablity

- plasic & build quality

scorpio 2.2-

+ best in class engine: very refined, very responsive & no turbo lag

+ better build quality

+ host of new features, quite tech laden in VLX 

+ better gear shift

- not so good ride quality

- fit and finish

- no AC vents in the boot

- no electrically adjustable ORVMs

overall, i suggest you the scorpio if you drive yourself or the safari if you are a back seat person. also, if comfort and space is your top priority, the safari should be yours. if driving comfort and reliabilty is what you are looking for, then the scorpio.

Hi, niks, I tried to find an comparison done by ACI for SAfari 2.2 & Scorpio M-hawk 2.2, but failed. But I remember that Safari was winner due to it's VFM proposition. Scorpio has loads of equipements in M-hawk. Personally I feel scorpio much noicy and has poor handling. So please take extensive test drive of both the cars and analyse the features and select the car you feel appropriate for your needs. All the best.

hey nikvinit, if ACI means autocar india, can you tell me which edition was it? cos they have not done any comparo between the scorpio 2.2 and the safari 2.2... yes, their sister concern magazine has done such a test (What Car? july 2008 edition) and the scorpio 2.2 emerged as a winner, not the safari! the verdict given by them was that the scorpio is a better all rounder and the safari is a comfortable cruiser on the highway but cumbersome in the city.

even motoring and overdrive has done such a comparo test and in both mags, the scorpio 2.2 emerged as a winner.

thanks a lot guys for your immediate response. i took a test drive of both cars today, equally liked both. so i am not able to decide.

speed, i am planning to buy the safari vx or scorpio vlx and the scorpio vlx is cheaper than the safari vx

nikvint, i dint find the scorpio 2.2 noisy. it was better than the safari 2.2

raj_5004, i am not a big fan of scorpio vlx's cruise control nor safari's dvd screens. yes i do appreciate abs and automatic wipers in scorpio and airbags in safari. so features are not a priority to me.

all of them said that the scorpio's handling is bad. is it true even in the 2.2 scorpio also because i read in overdrive that the scorpio's handling is better than the safari and the safari's ride is better. moreover everybody is saying that i should go for the scorpio if i drive myself. my car will be driven both by me and my driver equally.

Scorpio VLX is better buy to Safari VX IMO.

VLX's handling has improved somewhat, Safari's ride is superior.

Safari's back seat is supreme, Scorpio's back seat is not comfy.

@ niks: buddy, now even if features are not top priority for you, i would suggest you the scorpio as you will find auto wipers and TPMS more useful than DVD screens. as you and your driver equally drive the car, both scorpio and safari scores equal points in this aspect (safari with its better ride and back seat and scorpio with its better and more refined engine). i have driven the scorpio at high speeds and personally dont have any issues with its handling or stability. even the safari does not face any such issues. but dont expect handling like a sedan or CRV. so now, i will suggest you the safari only if ride and space are your top most priority. else, the scorpio.

@ speed: hey buddy, wats IMO?

dude! as per the previous discussions!! most of them said that the back seating in Scorpio is not comfy when compared to Safari! in cases u r travelling with ur family & ur driver is taking the stearing!! how will u manage when the back seat is not comfy?? according to me comfy comes first!!

think abt all aspects & take a good decision!!

@ sanzgod: buddy, when you are travelling with your family, wats more important is reliability and safety. both cars are equally safe (relative to each other!) but credit must be given to safari for having airbags. but safari's reliability is not as good as the scorpio. its better compromising a bit on comfort than spending a night with your family on a lonely roadside with your car's bonnet open! safari has always had small niggling issues every now and then which in turn means frequent visits to the workshop which if not done can lead to the above mentioned situation. also, i strongly agree that safari's rear seat is super comfy but disagree that scorpio's rear seat is not comfy.

@ niks_123: buddy, did you take a ride in the back seat too during the test drive?
raj_50042008-11-08 04:02:57

all of them said that the scorpio's handling is bad. is it true even in the 2.2 scorpio also because i read in overdrive that the scorpio's handling is better than the safari and the safari's ride is better. moreover everybody is saying that i should go for the scorpio if i drive myself. my car will be driven both by me and my driver equally.

The 2.2 Scorpio's handling is far better than original one. So it should be better than Safari too, as Safari has comfort based suspension.

If you are a frequent long distance traveller, with driver and family, it is better to go for Safari. It is comfortable than Scorpio. But in city, Safari is like a truck. With big dimensions and a huge 12m turning dia, it is really difficult to drive this SUV in city and especially parking is really a difficult task.

Whereas Scorpio is compact when compared to Safari and has less turning radius too.

Personally my choice is Scorpio.

thanks a lot friends for your help

i also asked some of my friends and owners of these vehicles and ultimately it turned out that the mahindra is a bit more easy on the pocket

even in this thread, most are voting for the scorpio

personally i dont mind either as i loved and hated equally some parts in both vehicles

so finally i had to choose between space/ride and engine/reliabilty of which i chose the latter

talking about safety- the scorpio does not have airbags- a serious onission

but then it does have rain sensing wipers and tpms which are useful

frankly i dont care about the dvd screens in the safari

also the scorpio is cheaper than the safari

so the scorpio is going to be mine in a few days- just deciding the color- either java brown or black

thanks a lot again mates

sorry guys for the delay in responding

based upon personal experiences, test drives and your suggestions, i went for the scorpio 2.2

the main reason behind this is that the scorpio is wonderful to drive

the staff at the service centre was extremely courteous when i went there for the booking and assured me the car would be ready in 10 days

but to my suprise, after 7 days, i get a call from their office to inform me that my scorpio 2.2 is waiting for me!

i rush to the showroom to see my scorpio all decked up with ribbons and stuff!

i was told all the basic functions of the car, all my doubts were cleared

the manual along with a DVD is handed over

finally, the puja is done and i drive my lovely mHawk home

till now, the car has covered 350 kms and i am just enjoying every bit of it

im glad i went for this car and for that i am really thankful to everybody on this forum   :-)