rssh

Safari 2.2 DICOR Launched (Now with Pics)

SUVs have higher centre of gravity. Anybody driving them has to understand their limitations. You can not go as fast around a bend like in a car.

In fact, the Safari is far more stable than its competition - Scorpio.

FRG

Thats why most modern SUVs have many electrical systems to control their roll like Porsche Cayenne has many. I agree with FRG on the body roll comparison with the Scorpio .It can be reduced by modifing the suspension but cannot be eliminated. FuelRunGod2007-10-25 23:23:02

U could decrease body roll by fitting in wider aspect tyres which will improve handling and make it more stable at hi speeds as well as offering better braking and ride.

I agree with you but tires will help give better grip and stability but the reduction in body roll is negligible unless dampers and suspension are not tuned properly.

smiley17.gif reg toppling of safari , lets wait & see the ist ride report from auto car, if not i feel we can try the following i hope .  to reduce the ground clearence by 10 -15mm  & to widen the rear wheel stance by using spacers at rear by 10 -15 mm. any more ideas ( other than going slow at corners )?

Putting spacers would put load on the suspension. But Im wondering why the track wasn't increased. The Gypsy was also known for stability issues, then Maruti introduced the MG410W, which had a wider track, it took care of the stability issue to some extent.

FRG

U could decrease body roll by fitting in wider aspect tyres

false - roll has very little to do with tyre size

spring hardness, spring height, center of mass, anti roll bar stiffness

these are the factors that majorly effect roll

safari has very few stability and roll issues

the original car had them to a lesser xtent

but this was only for a few months

the one with stability issues is the scorpio

tall high body within minimum lenght - good for urban traffic

soft suspension so that townies don't get thudded around

but then tall heavy body on soft springs means lot of rock and roll !!!

that may be the intial feel of the car

but the real problems concerning SUV's and body roll take place at high speed

wider tyres actually mean more grip 

this will also lead on more body roll - other things being equal

think about it - you can corner faster - and that means more roll for any given corner

I read an IIT question some months back in it we have to calculate the pressure which the tire exerts when conering. It said that the tire should have thick Rubber (side walls)and we had to increase the width of the tire so that the car does not roll .I looked at the answer and it said that increase in width of tires reduces roll by 40% and we will have to increase the tension on the spring to overcome 30% more.

I recently had a test drive in the Demo car today it was like there were two engines and weigh half of single. The handling is magnificant from the Earlier one .A BEAUTY IN A BEAST.

The clutch is lighter and you feel nothin (load). The SUV has come to a new life IMMORTAL. I love the way it steers .i hoped that Tata could do something with turning radius, the braking is much better (VX). I hope that next time they put ABs std on all models.

The waiting list has become about 25 days the dealer said. The new rear tire cover does not look good .It doesn't struggle to move ahead like earlier one .

Let s see what will Mahendra do with their new eagle.

The new Scorpio will have certain advantages over the new Safari with both engines being equal at 2.2L and churning out 140bhp.

Scorpio-Smaller size, less wt, turning radius, build quality.

The new Scorpio will have certain advantages over the new Safari with both engines being equal at 2.2L and churning out 140bhp.

Scorpio-Smaller size' date=' less wt, turning radius, build quality.
[/quote']

You forgot the Better reliabilty and Good fuel efficient and cheap serviceing cost of Scorpio

pryas2007-10-12 16:44:22

I dont think the Safari is much of a Offroader, for that matter neither is the Scorpio.

For serious off roading u require something like a Gypsy or the more expensive Pajero.