rssh

Safari 2.2 DICOR Launched (Now with Pics)

In the UK' date=' one complaint about the Safari was that the Indian version had more goodies in it!  I don't know about other markets, but this was the case in the UK earlier.  They had only one variant with no options given. 

Jitz
[/quote']

Lol!

Yes, its really surprising that the UK Safari was actually offered with less goodies.  We would expect our Indian exports to be top of the line and "perfect" for international standards, but the truth is otherwise.  Out there many liked the Tatamobile for its reliability, but the engines were definitely not tuned for British standards.  Cold starting was a nightmare and the engine used to run out of breath on motorways, trying hard to keep up to the 70 mph (nearly 120 kph) speed limit.  I think the car was not much different from the one sold here!   

Another problem with Tata cars was the difficulty in procuring spares.  I couldn't believe all this at first.  One would wonder whether Tata really wanted to sell their cars over there or not!!

Jitz

It was and ridiculously enough, is still the diesel version, the long gone 2.0 L TCIC engine.  Its hard to believe that even the 3.0L DiCOR engine wasn't offered there.  The Tata's UK story is really an embarrassing one and one look at any of the Safari's reviews in the UK will tell you exactly what I am talking about.  As a saving grace, many still liked the Safari for its spacious interiors and off-roading capabilities. 

Jitz

Tata can't dare to dump old tech in Europe. The competition there is much fiercer and quality needs to be top notch in order to survive. Low cost structure has obviously helped Tata to sell their cars in the market.

@Jithesh: If I remember correctly, Tata had the 3.0 litre Dicor in Europe.

FRG
FuelRunGod2007-11-04 00:32:48

Yes FRG, we would expect quality to be top-notch to survive in markets like the UK.  I do not have any official information, I was just reproducing what I read in many "used car reviews" in UK.  I don't know about other places in Europe, but one review says that the Safari is not yet offered with the 3.0 L Dicor engine in the UK.  These reviews are actually more important than official test drives, as they vastly influence potential buyers. 

I would say that Tata has not used the full potential of the Safari or its other models.  I have seen quite many Safaris on the road in UK, and one would easily mistake it for just another European SUV, a fact which makes an Indian proud.  Tata did not have a good service back up for its vehicles, which discouraged many prospective buyers.  In fact the Tata pick-up or our Tatamobile is more popular than the Safari for its reliability and the workhorse that it is.   Europeans are always biased towards us Indians, and any manufacturer who is doing business there should put in a more sincere effort to change that perception.  Having serious quality issues would not get us anywhere close to doing that.  

Jitz

One major grouse about the Safari was the underpowered engine, when it was launched.  The 2.2 L engine should do justice to the car and it should improve on sales, given a new pricing strategy. 

Jitz

Tata claims to have the second largest service network in the country. And I personally think even the after sales service is quite good. I never had any problems with my Dicor though my friend once had. He is a hardcore off-roader and once he abused it so much tat he had to take it to the service guys. Well, what I gathered from him is that they fixed it in one shot without any delays. He was quite happy with them.

1-     Testosterone

Tata claims to have the second largest service network in the country. And I personally think even the after sales service is quite good. I never had any problems with my Dicor though my friend once had. He is a hardcore off-roader and once he abused it so much tat he had to take it to the service guys. Well, what I gathered from him is that they fixed it in one shot without any delays. He was quite happy with them.

1-     Testosterone

Automobile Kapoor

Arneja Automobiles

Both are SOB's because they enjoy exclusivity from TATA Motors which is quite unfortunate.

Their service might be satisfactory for offroaders like Safari but in the case of Indica and Indigo, they are dumb asses!

Blame it on the TATA build quality or their aftersales service, both suck ig time.

However, I have learnt quite a few things in my life and one of them is never buy TATA again unless you aim to own a TAXI company.

I seriously suggest you should report this to

TATA Motors through their website. I am sure some sort of action will be

taken.. But I feel you are exaggerating a bit by calling TATA a Taxi company. Tata

Safari Dicor is a fine SUV. TATA is one of the best companies we have as of

now in the country there is no debating that. I seriously think you should reconsider

your decision not buy a TATA made car. Purely on the basis that you have had a

prior bad experience..

Lots of people have had some really serious quality related problems with Tata vehicles, some of the reliability issues would get Tata off the market in other parts of the world and yet it continues to sell its products with impunity. They have a long way to go and make some serious improvements before even being considered among the better companies in India.

I have repoted to TATA on multiple occasions but of no avail.

The thing is TATA motors is sitting pretty as there's no real competition in it's respective category (say Safari and Indica).

Although Toyota Innova has really affected Safari's sales, I'm waiting a one particular Diesel SUV (maybe Fortuner) priced at 13 lacs to come along and TATA Safari will be history.

Maybe in the coming time we can see some diesel hatchbacks in the price range of 4-5 lacs to kick TATA Motors A$$.

Fierce competition in the coming time will force TATA Auto to revolutionize it's quality and after sales service, else they're off.

1-Testosterone,

Fortuner will never make it here, most Indian public have a complex buying superior Japanese product and Toyota doesn't wish to go through the embarrassment of loosing out to a product like Endeavour.

Wow! I thought Endeavour was no match for Fortuner!

Indeed it isn't, Fortuner is way more hardcore with more clearance, better suspension and engine and far superior Toyota pedigree, sadly it would never sell with those attributes here in India.