AshTheDash

Comparison of Cars

Dear All,

I am planning to change my TATA Indica of 05 and buy a new Petrol Car.

My Budget is quite broad from 6.5L to 9.5L

I have the final shortlisted
models that I have decided upon.

I guess I will buy from one of
these only. No point in exploring any further.

Have I missed another car that I
must consider?

Please comment..

Mumbai Prices on Road for All Cars

Car/Model

On
Road

Exchange
Bonus

Dealer
Discount

Ford
Ikon

Fiesta

8.44/8.50

SX4

DZire

5.99/6.99

Verna
Xi

7.87/8.54

Honda City
(Old)

Honda City
 (New)

What do you want from your car? You have to ask yourself that and then let us know. For me buying a car is 90% emotional and 10% a practical decision, so I may suggest a car which does not make sense to you unless you tell us what you want. If I were you, the Verna, Ikon, City and the Dzire would not even be on my list. It would either be the SX4 or Fiesta 1.6 S for me.

And you are right about your inference of Speed's comment.

as was said in the previous post, you have to first decide what u want from the car...only then can we suggest cars for you..

if i had a budget like yours, i would consider the new city but i would also look at the fiesta, verna and the sx4...

fiesta is a driver's car but what that also means is that it has a not so comfortable ride...same goes for the sx4 which has a stiff ride too but the reason for that is different..its quite tall and hence has a stiff suspension to minimize body roll around corners.

the verna is a car that u buy with ur head rather than ur heart...it doesnt excite u cuz it doesnt have razor sharp handling or fantastic performance or great snob value. what it does though is perform moderately well in those departments and back it up with solid mechanicals, fantastic build quality and reliability and very good interior quality..not to mention hyundais excellent after sales service.

the honda is the best car of the lot by far but remember, u also pay nearly 2 lakhs more for it than any other car..

@AshTheDash: You have clarified your requirements pretty well. Among the cars that you have shortlisted, the new City and SX4 are the two that you must consider. Take a Test Drive and go with the one that you love and that suits you. I prefer SX4 for its VFM.

However, if you dont want a family car and want a driver's car then Fiesta S is one for you. Though it is not highly practical choice.

I would suggest you to go for Maruti Suzuki SX4. I find it to be very attractive, stylish, and elegant. It is loaded with the best technologies and features. The best part is the brand, Maruti. This means lower cost of operation and maintenance.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the replies...

I have finally decided not to exceed the 7L target.  I have also decided to go for the Fabia Ambeinte.

Fantastic road grip, great handling , superb build quality.

Its the best in hatchback and also good enough for us from our requirement perspective.

The closest was Dzire,but it has 3 months waiting period and to add to it the interiors an build quality was not very impressive.

I am still welcome to hear from you all if there any more valuable suggestions and feedback that can be of use.

Anyone who has used a Fabia before?? Skoda for its service quality cost of spares etc...

Speed and Archit,

Thanks.. but I haven't yet even booked the car.

I have finalised it mentally, so I am not going to test drive any other car now.

I am now haggling with the guys to give m more discounts. My June 05 Indica (V2, DLG, 33,000 Kms 1st Owner, Mumbai Reg) is fetching me 1.9L and I want them to give me 2L.

Lets see how it goes. Anyone who got a good deal for Fabia??

@Ash- So you didnt wanna wait for Jazz. Time to change your avatar buddy. hehe. My advice would be wait for i20 launch in Jan( to avail discount from Skoda). Im sure Skoda will have few shivers since i20 will be in Fabia territory.

Karan and Vijay,

I am not sure if I can wait that long, due to the valuation of my current car.Other than that I am getting around 60K off from Skoda as its their anniversary so the Int rate they are charging is 9.9% on the loan.

Do you think they will offer more discounts once the i20 is launched?

I also read in this forum that the i20 will be now delayed...

1st of all is it the Petrol or diesel Fabia you are opting for??? i20 is coming mostly in January. I dont think you ll regret waiting till Jan. Trust me. Dont take a decision so soon just cos of resale of your old car. What if Fabia offers more discount in Jan- feb??? Would nt that overshadow your resale??? My two cents dont jump into your decision too fast wait .

P.S.:-

I feel i20 crdi would be overall better than Fabia!!i20 being a Hyundai would be cheaper to maintain, diesel would be more refined & not noisy as Fabia .

I am going for the Fabia Petrol.

In case of Hyundai, what about the Verna? I liked that car a lot. But I heard that it was not worth buying a Hyundai.

Your comments....

The Verna is bigger than the i20 right? I would prefer the Verna, unless the i20 has something amazing that Verna does not..

In case you are opting for petrol car, I would suggest you to stay from Skoda & try some Japanese  product instead.

Also, Hyundai petrol cars don't match upto Japanese cars.

Specify your budget for proper analysis & suggestions.

@Ash- If you think of opting for the Verna - go only for the diesel. Petrol aint that great . Verna is kinda overpriced and no airbags! Also its not too steady after 120km/hr.  You seem to be really confused. From Jazz/Fabia to C segment comparison to Fabia. I think you should seriously give up on Fabia. i20 will offer all features of Fabia . Compared to Verna i20 will have airbags and few other features.

If its a premium hatchback - go for i20 or wait for Jazz

If its a C segment - Go for Fiesta S or New City

Just go for the Old City ZX gxi, it will be worth every penny . i dont think u will lose drastically on the resale value of city ZX. Its has a good idsi engine , Excellent FE, best of class interiors. Bargain for discounts , alloys, nuts , bolts everything :))

CS,

The Honda guys are not offering any discounts at all.

The car sells at 8.8L in Mumbai and that's causing the problem.

Otherwise as well my budget will not go beyond 7L. In this budget the best option is Fabia.

@Ash- Honda will surely clear up the stock of City ZX by Dec. So if you wait till Dec - Jan im sure they would give bulk discount as Honda is finding it tough to clear City ZX off the shelves.

Option 2 : Wait for launches like Linea and Hyundai i20.

Right now it seems you are almost sold on Fabia. If you are then i guess you should move ahead with it instead of others & myself giving you more options.