sahil10

diff. between xenons, HID , and projector headlamp

Xenon Lamps ,HID & Projector lamps are all parts of the the headlight of the car...A Car bulb with the Xenon filled gas when coupled with the High Intensity Discharge kit (HID) gives a white light or other colors depending on the temperature of the bulb...Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a light source, in this case the HID bulb. People not familiar with lighting may believe that the higher the Kelvin the brighter the light will be, this is not true... OEM car manufacturers equip their cars with 4100k to 4300k HID bulbs which produce the most daylight-like light output. Lower temperature like 3000k will produce deep gold-yellow color like normal halogen lamps in the car. Higher color temperatures will output light with a hint of white/blue like the 5000k - 6000k bulbs, higher rated bulbs like 8000k-12000k will be bluer and eventually purple in color as you go up the scale.

Benefits of a HID kit in a Car.

a)More light output, up to 3 times when compared to standard halogen bulbs.

b)Wider road coverage, HID beam covers up to 70% more of the road in front of you.

c)Long bulb life, HID bulbs last 5-10 years under normal usage,around 3000hrs. 

d) More efficient, more light while using 24% less power.

halogenhid_graph.jpgThis chart will show the efficiency of the HID lamp.

Now coming to the Projector Headlamps,,,it is a housing in which a bulb is fitted whether its a normal halogen or Xenon with HID kit,,its is tubular housing in which a bulb is installed,it gives a dedicatedly straight beam of light focusing more on the road ahead rather than scattering side ways thats why it is called projecter lamps...In India cars with the factory installed Projector Lamps are Honda CRV & Toyota Camry...One can clearly make out the difference in a conventional headlight & a Projector headlight.

One can fit a HID kit in a car,it is widely available in the market...but fitting a projector headlight in a car is not that easy until unless it is provided by the car manufacturer.Lot of projector headlamps kits are available in the market for different cars but they are not suited for the a HID kit bulb because it gives only a cosmetic touch to a car of a projector lamp & installing a HID kit in that lamp will require lot of tooling...So it is best to remove the normal halogen bulb of a car & replace it with a Xenon HID kit,,,which only requires a simple connection of wires & installing bulb in the headlamp housing...The new Toyota Corolla Altis comes with a HID kit but it does not have a projector headlight,,but still it gives the same effect...

Lot of HID kits are available in the market starting from 10k,,it depends with which brand you go & the color temperature...so do some research online & I hope you will find some good brands & deals...good luck with your search & I hope I've answered your queries,,if still I'm missing with something or you need to know more,,you can still write in here & I'll try to help you out...smiley20.gif

The road is visible on the sides also with the projector lamps,,When one is driving he/she does not look from the side window...A person is concentrating by looking ahead at least 8-10 ft from the driving position,,if you will see the diagram of the HID projector beam in my post above,,one will understand how the light is projected in the sides also,,The idea of projector lamp is to properly light the road ahead & not waste the light energy by scattering it,,thats why one is able to see more farther than a conventional headlamps..In the expensive luxury cars such as BMW the projector lamps are fitted with the adaptive lights which can react to the cars movement..like when a car is cornering the light moves sideways to light up the curve or when it hits the bump or dips down the light moves  up or down to see through the road ahead..

top end Fabia (I think thats named as Elegance) also comes with projector lamps.

Adaptive lights are not standard on BMW or Merc, but is an expensive option on normal models worth about Rs. 25,000.

in india cars likr SKODA OCTAVIA,LAURA SUPERB ALL HAVE  FACTORY FITTED PROJECTOR AND XENON and even the top end fabia which cost around 9,50,000 thats the price more than honda city,and the xenon and projector of camry looks very dull ,where as that of crv,honda cannot invent new technique at all,it always copies of cars like bmw merc and other,look at new honda city,its like bmw m320,the facelifted accord which had taken its tail lights from merc e-class

Thankyou buddies,,,I really appreciate your concern & interest smiley32.gif...I'll try to help you guys out with all what I know about automobiles...sometimes its gud to be an automobile freak & a learner at the same time...smiley20.gif

Projector lamps are available as after market fitment so are Xenon Lamps. High intensity Discharge(HID) lamps need to be fitted compulsorily with their cut out circuits to control load on the battery.

I think the lamps will fit all cars but check the pastics of the lamp they warp under the heat discharge.

The heat dissipation ventilation needs to be enhanced for standard headlamp units.

Yes please anyone explain in detail how the ventilation can be increased. Wont it be affected by water while washing the car at a service center?

Yes please anyone explain in detail how the ventilation can be increased. Wont it be affected by water while washing the car at a service center?

If you open the bonnet and dismantle the headlamp unit you will find openings behind the unit these openings are meant for heat dissipation, water will not get in to these points because they are either connected with a rubber tube which bends downwards.

These openings are usually part of the plastic mould, I don't think the dia of this can be increased in size, may be it will require deft modification.

thank you for your post.. please tell me if hid lamps can be installed on halogen projector headlamps of skoda fabia. does it need auto levelling control, will my projectors withstand the heat dissipated from them. will it create glare on opposite vehicles most importantly difference between projectors of halogen and hid lamps .... thank you

I am surprised about the doubts being expressed about HIDs overheating. The wattage is lower, and even if there is a poor quality power hungry ballast that is not inside the lamp. So they must run cooler.