FuelRunGod

Maruti A-Star Test Drive Report

i guess am still here!

I dont think the discussion was healthy...two people just got banned for it..

but jokes apart..a discussion can only be healthy when both sides agree to valid points..

i want the account to be deleted not coz am brooding or nethn..jeez!! thats the stuff 12 yr olds do..ive been in debates before, more serious ones.ive won some, ive lost some.

I want it deleted coz this is gonna happen again in the future..and i cant keep this up..damn! i've written the same things so many times now, am tired..

as for maruti being better than hyundai..well yes..its got a wider a.s.s, sells more cars, makes more money..but it has lost my respect. ill tell you why..

I hope you agree that quality knows no geographical boundaries..whats given to other countries should be given to india..right? well, maruti hasnt done that..

try selling an indian suzuki car abroad..there will be an uproar..

if a company cannot ensure standard quality levels due to, say, not having enuf money to invest in better manufacturing technology/materials or if the company is new in the market, thats understandable..

but this excuse doesnt apply to maruti..theyve been here for 26 yrs!!! they are the biggest money-spinners in the indian car market..by now they should have been dictating terms to others in terms of quality of cars...

It is their sheer arrogance and unwillingness to do it..the management guys probably think that as long as people buy cars the way they are made, in their current form, why should we change anything?

now you might ask as to why I am harping on about quality..there are other things involved in making a car successful.......true.

ill tell u why?

because its every company's moral responsibility to give its customers the best..when a company knows it can improve its products but chooses not to, it says a lot about the company, doesn't it? MSIL can reach their own european standards if they want to but they dont want to do it...period!!

MSIL seems to have shied away from this moral responsibility for the sake of money. i agree it makes business sense, makes you profits. but it doesn't win hearts..atleast not mine. and i am sure i am not alone..the numbers will keep increasing to the point that maruti can't handle it and then we might see a change..but why wait?

why not do it now and cover all bases and make your products the best in every department..

if not as a moral responsibility, then atleast as a goodwill gesture..afterall, indian consumers have made MSIL what it is today..we deserve it. dont we?

to sum it up, i'll concede that quality is just one of the considerations in choosing a car..but it also reflects on the manufacturer's honesty and commitment towards its customers..if a company is capable of better quality, the customer deserves to have it.

@cyrus...please delete my account before i get tempted into replying to any more comments..i have antagonized too many MSIL fans and ruffled enough feathers alreadysmiley2.gif..

No need for that. We love healthy debating here and let me assure you that this outrageous behaviour will not happen again. Stick around here Viraj, I am sure you will have some fun here. I personally do not like maruti cars for most of them look a bit ugly..well, alot ugly, but one will have to bow down to the fact that they are the biggest selling brand in india and they have the largest support network in the Country.

I hope you agree that quality knows no geographical boundaries..whats given to other countries should be given to india..right? well' date=' maruti hasnt done that..
try selling an indian suzuki car abroad..there will be an uproar..

It is their sheer arrogance and unwillingness to do it..the management guys probably think that as long as people buy cars the way they are made, in their current form, why should we change anything?

[/quote']

especially at these prices. whether thisisviraj stays or goes, I for one have got to agree. what I will add, though, and what I keep repeating, is that although top honours may or may not be Maruti's, every car manufacturer in this country does the same darn thing.

they're all thieves.

Okay guys let us come back to the topic A-star driven, has any member got A- star. If so please give FE figures. I searched elsewhere but could not find it. I'm curious to know how much deviation is there in ARAI's figures and real world figures.smiley1.gif

Hi, everyone here. I was tempted to put my feeling/observations 2 days back, but due to some urgent work, I couldn't. Though the debate has ended practically, I m putting this for the information of buyers of new cars...

1. M.S. has deteriorated the quality of the car to the lowest level..Why? I was having 1996 M-800 (which I have sold last year),done nearly 1.80 lakhs kms and was running more smoother and felt much well built, compared to my sis's 2004 model M-800 driven just 25k kms. When I drove my Sister's car, whole car feel loosely built and very light.

2. Two months back, I was in the market for buying a car. Swift / Gets was obvious choice...To get the idea of real quality feel, I test driven 4-5 second hand Swifts done 10k-30k kms.. All the cars were 1-2 years old and was maintained in company service station. My mind never give positive signal in favour of Swift.. Rattleing, loose car feel, rear seat discomfort piped in to my mind everytime. I also try 2-3 getz driven for 11k to 34 k and again 1-2.5 years old.. Much satisfied with the overall quality of the car and purchased one in oct. After driving cars for more than 15 years, I feel that I can judge the difference in quality of the car- I believe..

After driving Santro for 4 years and Getz for 2 months, I salute Hyudai for giving international quality car to India.

About A-star: I don't understand which segment M.S. is focusing, by giving A-star. The car didn't have boot at all. Even one suit-case can not be put inside the boot.. Rear door, glass, boot glass are very small. And rear bench, standard M.S.- no thigh support for adult. Didn't test driven  it, so can't comment on drivability and other issues... But FRG has done good job .

nikvint2008-12-10 06:20:06

No i have heard that quality is like before means no good and interior plastics feels cheap...This car gets sales or not coz i dont know but it cant beat i10 on any part except FE....Now why astar cant beat i10...

1.) I10 has much better quality

2.)Quality and plastics and designing of interiors is much better

3.)Maruti often rattles while Hyundai's not.

4.)i10 is much more comfortable and boot space is good unlike Astar of which boot space is even much more less than my Spark and this is ridiculous coz i think that spark has really less boot space and to me its a drawback.

And last to me i10 looks way better than Astar..

I second B.S.--Ditto.. A-star is nowhere near I-10..It can only be compared with Alto & Spark. And among them, if only car is compared (and not the company) Spark is better overall package.. 

nikvint2008-12-10 06:45:57

well i agree with nik that marutis rattle a lot and this is their inherent problem but leaving this issue their are not many problems with their car...if their are tell me...suzuki has one of the best long lasting engines.

well problem with MS is they dont make comfortable and spacious cars...Ok their engines are good as they are of Suzuki and not of maruti while the quality which is given to us is by Maruti and not suzuki..

I dont know who can live with rattling issues coz i hate rattling and to pay 3-4 lacs and more for a rattling car isnt a good deal..Coz rattling means there is something wrong with the base of the company..

Well thus Astar is nowhere near A-star, its selling or not, overall i10 is far better product and i think nobody can deny this..

Dear B.S. For me Maruti & Suzuki are same. Now suzuki has major share holding as well as management control. Earlier, Govt babus were involved to some extent, but now, Suzuki only shall be held responsible for any Quality issues. 

@ Mehul_bhp:- Rattleing and Gearbox performance is not new to Maruti that they can't improve or change. Just see the gear of Wagon-r, Estilo and SX4 and comapre it with Getz, Honda City. Even their Esteem was having superb gear feel. Further all their car's carry lesser weight than the competitors'.. Why??  Just compare the weight of SAntro, I-10 V/s Wagon-r, Estilo, A-star... It is for sure that Maruti is using lower quality material for body and interior plastic.

What Say?

What's wrong with MS? Esteem had a smooth gearshift and now their modern cars have bad gearshifts. Are they going in the wrong direction?

I don't that MS cars weigh less than competition. Swift weighs more than a Palio.

yes maruti cars have the least weight amongst it competitors but its in the interest of fuel economy...all their cars are leaders in fuel economy in their respective class...for ex a-star,alto,wagonr,estilo then swift is the most fuel efficient hatch in india. but yes safety wise it isnt good and bit more weight will surely help.

Well yesterday at Nagpur station I saw a green a star and the owner had all the smiles as I was staring the car .He said "doesn't the car look nice" and yeas it did and he loved the performance in the city and Fe figure he couldn't tell me as he just got it yesterday . The rear seat looked cramped than even my zen.

Maruti is sacrificing space at the alter of design...they are all great design exercises with very little space...for a small car they should have also some space; atleast in India we are not that mature to load back seats only with pets and kids, we also use the backseat's for our extended family...mom, dad, grandparent's and A Star boot can't even hold a picnic basket for the whole brood.

In Chennai we have a drive in theatre, called Prarthana, where we have to carry our own seating arrangements from home!! So we used to carry atleast 3 folding chairs, a blanket and few pillow's!!! and literaly lounge and watch the movie in open air. And not to forget the dinner and water can. We used to frequent that place a lot when I had Maruti 800, packing it all in used to be a logistical nightmare and had to start packing atleast 1/2 hour before departure to get it all right. All suv's used to be pushed back and the small car's in front. It used to be fun, we used to arrive early, and there used to be a big rush to get the car parked in the front row.

prarthana.jpg

adityaram-pic14.jpg

hi to all car lovers....

i seem to be in a better position to comment about a-star, since i have test driven it twice. i was considering i10 1.2 and a-star as my first new car. after TD a-star and i10 1.1 & 1.2:

1st time

a-star: exciting

i was surprised by compact exteriors of the car

expected it to be bigger. sitting in the drivers seat i felt space was decent after some adjustment ( i am 6 feet tall).. engine was very silent as compared to earlier marutis. it had good pickup even with AC on.. the front console was quite functional.. though initially i was quite skeptical about it... it might concern short heighted drivers..turning radius of 4.5 m is even lesser thn alto MOST IMPORTANT: REAR SPACE ISSUE- i was quite disappointed by the rear space because of lack of space + low seating instead of high seating of boxy cars.

BOOT SPACE-was less than expected but i have hardly used the boot in past 7 months of my driving- not really an issue for me.

i10 1.2

premium interiors, though personally i dont prefer total beige interiors..especially the dash (should always be in a darker colour- take the case of any of mercedes/bmw)  felt more at home in the a-star.. 1.2 definitely has a better pickup.. front space was similar to a-star. rear space somewhat more than a star but not a big difference.. overall not exciting for the price to me

didnt feel as good as 1.2. even a-star was better. probably due to its weight advantage.

i was confused a-star was very good but for the rear space.

i10 somehow didnt strike a chord.

2nd TD

actually spent quite some time in  assessing the rear space of a-star,.. was satisfied that it wasn't all that less and that i drive alone 95%. and for 5% most of my family are not as tall as me..

then i finalized a-star zxi on road 4.4 lac after cenvat waiver.. it had all essentials-ABS, dual airbags, int stereo(4 spkrs) which were available in i10 at a much higher price.

will buy one in jan..2009 model 
FuelRunGod2008-12-15 09:05:07

Good choice manu. Except for the rear seat space and tiny boot, A-star is a good car, especially in the city. 

Price of the vehicle is the price prevailing at the time of delivery and discounts avaialble at that time only will apply. But I don't think that MS is offering any discounts on A-star, it is a new car.

I've heard that 2009 model cars come only by Feb or Mar. In Jan you'll get only 2008 model(2009 reg). This is a new car and MS might have a produced many cars before launch, and they will 2008 model only. So ensure with the dealer that you get 2009 model only.

one of my friends bought i10 1.1 and he is seriously dissapointed with its performance,rest everything is fine with the car...he remarked that santro has better drivability and pick up than i10 1.1...good choice....a-star pricing is really good and zxi is serious value for money.

boot space is not that less...i found it almost equal to my zen and same goes for rear space as well.

Well i saw this car and boot space is less and well you cant say that rear space between Astar and i10 had only little difference...I found i10 much more comfortable than Astar...As i didnt test drove that car so cant tell about the engine..

hi bluesapphire

the difference between actual rear space isn't that much... both have space much less than bigger hatches like getz and indica...

2 people at the back will have similar comforts in both the cars...

and i feel this anomaly shud be ignored by people who use their cars mostly singly/double since here u have peace of mind because of safety features at the front which no other car can provide at this price... otherwise if u can afford the top end i10 wid similar features at 6 lacs its fine... go ahead..

but for most people stretching a budget of 4.5lac to 6 lac isn't quite possible

so it basically sums up to the fact are you willing to sacrifice some rear space for safety and peace of mind??.. i feel its worth it!