zedex

bikes Avg gone down ...

Hi

my avg was above 50 in city and near to 60 on highways but its reduced to 45-50.

i own hinda shine for 1 yr its avg is going down day by day. what could be the problem i had it serviced two months back from honda service centre. ( i feel honda guys only wash and change the oil from bike nothing else )

i have noticed one thing when parked gear never changed above 1 without pressing cluch but now i can go to 4th gear. while driving also i can change gear with out pressing cluch ??

any tips where to look for ?? what could be problem ??

Hey zed,firstly find a good roadside mechanic.Trust me they are good.

And regarding ur FE:

Honda carbs r fine tuned to give u max FE.Just get a good mechanic he'll do the rest for u.Ur air filter might be blocked.

FE depends majorly on ur riding style.If u change gears too frequently and stress the engine by making it reach max speed in each gear,u knw where ur hard earned is getting wasted.Ditto if u change gears before reaching desired speed.

Try this: when u reach 15 kmh,go to 2nd. At 25,3rd. 35, 4th.

Be gentle on the engine.

Most importantly use clutch.If u dont,the gear teeth will get worn out soon and ull get bad pickup and ur engine will start sounding funny and in the end ul get huge bills.

The clutch has been made for a reason,use it.

thanx all for reply .. i use cluch for changing gears so no problem there ... but i m not sure how to go to local mechanic as i m not good in bike stuff he might fool me so ...i used to go to honda service centre now i think i have to look for new mechanic ..BTW which is good engine oil ??

I once got my old Unicorn serviced by a road side mechanic. He was a reputed  RE mechanic. Trust me the vehicle felt better after servicing there.

But you should get help from some of your friends for selecting who is the best mechanic. Don't risk your bike. Go for a mechanic, only if you are 100% sure. .

Unless u have good information regarding local mechanic from reliable source it is better to opt for authorised service centre.

From my experience i feel it is better to stick with Honda engine oil as compared to servo and Castrol Activa.

All honda service centre are not bad...I had good experience with Honda.When u'll go to your next service, tell the workshop manager about ur FE problem and ask him to test FE in front of u.

They usually take 200ml of fuel and test the bike with this fuel.

Usual FE culprits are air filter,clutch, carburetor settings etc.

One more thing, engine warming has lot to do with FE particularly in winter.If u drive more ur FE wil increase because engine is operating at optimum temperature.On the other hand if u are not a frequent traveller

and more a stop and go type traveller then engine takes more time to warm up and consequently FE decreases. This is more in case of Honda bike engines which are designed to cool down rapidly.

i m not sure how to go to local mechanic as i m not good in bike stuff he might fool me so

What is the guarantee that the Honda Service Centers or Dealers dont fool you? Just ask 4-5 road-side mechanics and get back to us so that we can help you further.

BTW which is good engine oil ??

Dont use Castrol if you live in India. I have heard there are duplicates of the Castrol Oil and you dont get Original Castrol Oil in India. Which brands does the Owner's manual recommends?

You have not mentioned your Odometer Reading.

Clean the Air Filter Element, Spark Plugs. Observe the Colour of Spark Plug.

If it is white, then the carb is set to deliver more Fuel Efficiency. If brown, then it is set to deliver mixture of Fuel Efficiency and Pickup. If Black, then it is set to deliver more pickup and less Fuel Efficiency.

Also check the Engine Oil Level. It should be near the Upper Level Mark of dipstick. Observe the spark plug after cleaning air filter and checking Engine Oil Level to avoid wrong indication.

Reply to my above message after carrying out the work. Then we will see what to do.
sudeepd2008-12-05 13:52:46

Very nice suggestion to keep bike in good running condition with god fuel efficiency.Here one thing I would like to say that zedex is not saying that he changes gear without using clutch but the clutch is so loose that without using it gear changes,I think bike needs servicing and good mechanic will tighten all the loose nuts .One more thing , clutch plate may be damaged due to wrong use of gears ,if mileage and pick up are poor ,your bike needs a good mechanic who can understands the problem after test ride